Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ruger BlackHawk in .357 Maximum?
PAbowhunter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 250
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 30, 2015 - 9:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Who has one?  What are your thoughts and how does it compare to your Dan Wesson .357 Super Mag??  Got any photos?  Do you hunt with it?  

“We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more
humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.”

-Henry David Thoreau

“When some of my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether
they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes – remembering that it was
one of the best parts of my education – *make* them hunters.”

-Henry David Thoreau

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11017
May 30, 2015 - 11:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't have one...yet.wink I really would love to land one sometime soon. The prices for them have really climbed in the past couple years.

Ronald
Members
Forum Posts: 36
May 30, 2015 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A friend of mine had one and he used to let me shoot it regularly.   Sweet gun.   He and I had similar tastes and I made a bid for taking his collection (either buying it outright or holding it for him) while he was assigned to work in France for a few years, but he wouldn't take me up on it.

PAbowhunter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 250
May 31, 2015 - 3:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did you shoot mostly super mags through it or regular .357?  I am eagerly awaiting my DW 10" .357 Super Mag and have some Jamison Ammo to run through it.  Already thinking about my next purchase.  Will this ever end?? 

“We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more
humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.”

-Henry David Thoreau

“When some of my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether
they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes – remembering that it was
one of the best parts of my education – *make* them hunters.”

-Henry David Thoreau

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3235
May 31, 2015 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought one NIB a few years ago before prices went through the roof on them.  It was $655.00.  Now they often approach 1K.  To date it remains NIB, too many Dan's to do the same job.  I don't even have it photographed... Shame on me. 

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
May 31, 2015 - 11:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

PAbowhunter, no, it never ends. At least as long as the money doesn't. Ruger recalled, discontinued ,and kept any sent in for repairs. They were worried about the liability of flame cutting of the top strap. You should use bullets of 180 gr or higher to minimize that.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
June 2, 2015 - 1:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Part of the crazy prices these fetch is because this one is the only stretch frame SA gun Ruger made. So many of these get sent off to custom Smith's to be hogged out to 414 & 445 SM calibers...among others, losing much of their original identity.frown And making the surviving original guns more rare with each passing month.

I truly hope to land myself a clean 10.5" example for myself sometime soon. 

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
Forum Posts: 141
June 4, 2015 - 12:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

New guy here @ Dan Wesson, but not new to the .357 Maximum. Ruger actually produced 16314 Maximums. The flame cutting turned out not to be an issue at all, as it would abate after about a 1000 rd. or so. Forcing cone erosion was a different story. The round was intended to be 180 gr. or larger bullets over slow burning powders. Some people just had to see how fast they could drive those 125grain or smaller bullets with a fast burning powder. The original forcing cone was 5degrees, Ruger changed this to 11 degrees which helped drastically. Ruger actually destroyed about 5000 or so Maximums, from completed guns to just serialized frames. They are going up in price, because as someone had already mentioned the make a great platform for all the hand cannon custom guns out there. There were probably only about 11500 Maxi's that actually shipped. Now the other thing is/was, Today Ruger WILL NOT keep a Max if you send it in. First of all you need a RA from Ruger to ship it, when you call to get that, they obviously ask you what Model. They don't have any parts to support the Max today, so they won't authorize a RA. Now, years ago, there may be a different story. I have heard, for years, and was told never send a Max back to the factory, they WILL keep it. I've heard these stories, stories about my cousin who sent one in, my brothers next door neighbor, my best friends wife's ex husband, I think you get my point. I'm a doubting Thomas, you have to document it for me. I've also heard of people get a .44 Supe Blackhawk in trade for the Max if they sent it in. But, once again, no documentation. If some one there has had this happen I'd love to hear about it. I do know that Walter Howe, head of Ruger Special Projects, did get fired by Bill Sr.(for only about two weeks, what I have been told) For offering to "buy back" Maximums at full retails. At least that is that story. Walter is passed, as well as so many others connected with the Maximum project, that it makes it difficult to document some of these things. Hope this sheds a little light on some things, I do know a little more about the Max, but not all of it. Still working on it. Thanks for lookin', Coogs.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
June 4, 2015 - 4:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hey Coogs; how about dropping by the new member section and tell us a bit about yourself! I'm guessing a plumber in Franklin PA??

Sounds like you're familiar with handcannons....

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
June 5, 2015 - 1:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Coogs!!wow

Man, I thought you may never join our site.smile Guys, this "Maximum Aficionado" probably owns more 357 Maxi...357 SM guns than all of us together.lol2 His overall knowledge on this niche & the history of it all is beyond impressive! He is a regular posting enthusiast on many gun forums, including Single Actions...where I have been remiss myself lately.embarassed

Coogs, you have mydwf-welcometo thedwf...now if you'd like to make it official, get your butt to the newbie forum!big-grin And of course with any newbie post...it just might be a case of... post-pics LOL!!lol2

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
June 6, 2015 - 2:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Working on the pic thing, got a few to post of a "few" Maxi's. Ok, but may need some help. Now I have lots of pics saved in my library in Photobucket. How the heck do I get 'em off there to post somewhere? My one son did it for me, and showed me how to do it, but, CRS is starting to take affect and he has moved outta town!!! A little help maybe? Coogs.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
June 6, 2015 - 2:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Coogs, you got the biggest, bestest New Guy intro on DWF that I ever saw! If Grant says you're in, you're in!

I host on PhotoBucket, and post photos from there on many Forums with no problem.

Once you are on DWF in a Topic you want to post a photo to:

Copy your link on PB

Click on the insert/edit image "link" at the top of the window of your DWF post

Paste in your PB link. DWF will allow you to edit image size at this point, I rarely go over 700-800 on dimension.

As long as your PhotoBucket account is active and you don't delete the photo there, your pictures are GTG

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Coogs
NW Pa.
Members
June 6, 2015 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve, thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence, my friend. Yeah, I've been around the block a few times. I love sharing my knowledge about the Max. Now in that same vain, I don't know it all, never will. Some things I know, well, maybe I think I know, as the truth, may be wrong. I hope there are those out there that may know something I don't WILL prove me wrong, well, or at least get me the WHOLE Story. Already stated I am a doubting Thomas, so back it up with some kinda documentation, thanks again,Jack

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
June 6, 2015 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome again Jack!

While you were responding, I was on the phone with my son. When he was home on leave (USCG GM1) a couple of years ago, we happened on a DW 40 in an LGS I rarely visit. It came with the extra barrels, several hundred brass, several hundred bullets, and other miscellaneous items for a stupid low price. He bought on the spot and had it shipped to an LGS in North Carolina, his next duty station.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: mister callan, KurtB, bigmitty
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879