Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Non DW 1911's
10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
Forum Posts: 194
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 18, 2019 - 9:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I want to thank everyone that added info to this topic. I have always been a revolver guy for the most part. I tried a 1911 40 years ago and thought it was a piece of junk. Compared to a good revolver I wondered why anyone would purchase one. As I have grown older I try to keep an open mind. I kept reading about the 1911, and 3 years ago I purchased a 1911-22 Kimber. I have many rim fire handguns and I thought I would try a 1911 version. I really liked it so I purchased the Umerex version of a Colt Goldcup 1911-22. They both shoot very well and are a fun pair to mess with. I then read tons of info on Sig Match Elite 1911’s. I purchased a 45 and a 9mm. I hand load for them, no complaints. I decided it would be nice if I could find a Colt Goldcup 45. It has been a gun that no matter what gun magazine you pick up always ends up having an article written about it. This last weekend at a gun show I found a Colt Goldcup National Match series 80 converted to a series 70. It was in very good shape, for what I thought was a fair price. I have not shot it yet. The plan will be to run the same load I run in the Sig to start. Might even have a little shoot off to see how the Sig stacks up to the Colt or the Colt stacks up to the Sig. The thing you all need to know is, all the little details you guys write about are what guys like me use to learn. Most gun shops around my area do not have a person behind the counter that knows guns. Five minutes into a conversation with them red flags start popping up, five more minutes and I am usually walking away empty handed. I love my Dans, all seven of them. It is nice to talk something else sometimes too.

Zedbra
Squamish, British Columbia
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 661
February 20, 2019 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forgot about this thread.  I built up another 1911 and had it Cerakoted to match a custom-built AR that I did a few years ago.  It was a long process - which is one of the things I think I like the most about guns, is the planning and figuring out how to fix or modify, then finding the parts, ordering, waiting, then fitting and finishing - I just love all the steps along the way.

https://i.imgur.com/I2qhTZc.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/em8bXvB.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/1qs6Krg.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/D77BOMh.jpgImage Enlarger

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
February 20, 2019 - 3:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
February 20, 2019 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very nice work. Two 1911s that are very nice but affordable are the Ruger SR 1911 and even less expensive is the RIA. If you get the RIA 22 TCM you can get it with a 9mm barrel and extractor and have 2 calibers, one gun. Same mag is used for both. The 22TCM is a shortened .223 22 caliber centerfire. 2000+ fps. Virtually no recoil  but one huge muzzle blast. The gun holds 18 plus one rounds of 9mm or 22tcm.

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
February 20, 2019 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How is the the RIA 22 TCM for dependability? I have read in the past about problems with FTF and ejection issues. 

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
February 20, 2019 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been looking at the Ruger SR1911 In 10MM. I have handled the Ruger, it is a very nice gun.

Zedbra
Squamish, British Columbia
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 661
February 22, 2019 - 7:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I get asked about the grips and how you can see through the mags, so here it goes:  I ordered the grips from Alumagrips as they used to manufacture aluminum sets of grips with one see-through panel for another popular company that rebrands them.  I asked Alumagrips if they could make a set with both panels cut-out for me, but the owner said that they just weren't popular enough to warrant a run of them.  A few days later he emailed me back saying he found a pair - but they were pink.  I told him as long as he didn't tell me friends that I ordered pink grips, I'd take them; knowing I was going to Cerakote them green anyways. 

The mags I machined out at a friend's shop and I have not had any performance issues with the hollowed-out mags. 

This is a video showing the mag emptying while shooting - I was struggling as to how to place my hands to shoot the vid:

View post on imgur.com

Milling out the mags pics:

https://i.imgur.com/ogLHId9.jpgImage Enlarger

https://i.imgur.com/FmiHOXp.jpgImage Enlarger

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
February 22, 2019 - 9:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print