Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My New 1911... In 10mm
BlindFaith429
CT
Members
Forum Posts: 189
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 20, 2012 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Went and picked this bad boy up this past weekend from a private seller. It is an original, NIB Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. And when I say NIB, I really mean it. The gun was purchased in November 1987, and was never fired. surprised

I ended up finding it on a local gun-forum and picked it up after emailing the seller quite a few times.

When I went to pick it up, I was in awe at the beauty of this thing. It truly is new, not a single flaw, mark or anything on it. I still haven't even broken it down to clean it as it is still in perfect shape. I honestly don't even know if I am going to shoot this thing, its truly that nice. It came with the factory box, also in mint shape, and all the original paperwork and original receipt. Hell, it still has the unfilled warranty card surprised

Needless to say, I am siked with this purchase.

Anyways, here's a few pics of my score.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

And Only Time Will Tell The Ending When The Ink Runs Dry...

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1571
August 20, 2012 - 8:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool! You know, it will be calling to you from the gun safe though if you don't shoot it. Or could be a reason to buy another gun to use as a 'shooter'.

-Lonwolf

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
August 21, 2012 - 11:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lonwolf93 said
Very cool! You know, it will be calling to you from the gun safe though if you don't shoot it. Or could be a reason to buy another gun to use as a 'shooter'.

-Lonwolf

I'd love to find it's stainless brother, in "shooter" form and enjoy it. I am really hesitant to shoot this one since it's 25 years old, NIB, and mint as can be.

DrSparky
Aroostook County, ME
Members
Forum Posts: 315
August 23, 2012 - 6:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought my Delta in about 88, I can't call it NIB, got around 20,000 rounds threw it.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq209/drsparky/04-30-09_2225.jpgImage Enlarger

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
September 5, 2012 - 4:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice gun! I have it's cousin, the Delta Gold Cup. They are very good shooters...you should go out and enjoy it. If you're not going to shoot it, you may as well take up collecting paintings. big-grin

The Savantist

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
September 7, 2012 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

WOW-Congreats.

I've never had the opportunity to fire one.....I have fired a S&W revolver in 10mm and

its recoil was nothing special...an auto is different.

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
Forum Posts: 567
November 10, 2012 - 11:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The 6 7/8" 610-3 was just loud, no recoil, 5" 610 little snap and loud. My '87 was less felt recoil then my 1911 45ACP and was far more accurate with 3 times the usable range and less felt recoil then the Colt 70 series 45ACP and that let me to eventually rid myself of 45ACP 1911's with a couple of back slides due to price that never lasted long in my gun collection.

In 1911's you want the carbon steel blued guns for shooters, otherwise you have the peening of the slide by the slide stop due to the softer stainless steel. For carry or hunting I would use SS, but a heavy shooter needs to be carbon steel unless you shoot real light loads for range gun.

Only thing I shoot heavy/hot lodes in is my 44 or 744 DW below, and max loaded 300gr rounds is a piece of cake.

Image Enlarger

Revolvers   

New Model M-715 Pistol Pack

1911's   

Bob Tail RZ 10mm - Bob Tail RZ 38 Super by Keith @ DW - DW 38 Super Guardian

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 10, 2012 - 11:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Dangit I hit send before I was ready. I was going to add that my SA 1911 Omega 10mm is a real hoot to shoot, standard and light loads will hit me in the head quite often. With light loads one needs safety glasses to keep from be hit in the eye, with standard loads they bounce off top of my ball cap and hot loads 5-7 feet past me. I seldom loose brass from it, the Colt and DW throw them 7-10 feet from me and I always loose a few even with my 15'x20' tarp.

Image Enlarger

This is a fun shooter at 50 yards plus if you have the eyes for it. drool

Image Enlarger

Revolvers   

1911's   

BlindFaith429
CT
Members
November 18, 2012 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seeing as this thread is still alive and kicking, I'll give a little update.

I have decided to shoot it. I already have put 50 flawless rounds through the gun, with 4 different mags. The brass ejects nicely at about 3 o'clock, and up a little. Problem is though, that it shoots the brass out hard. Luckily I shoot indoors, so brass is easier to find, but still a PITA.

Here is an update pic of the gun. It is wearing a new set of grips, and a flat serrated M.S.H. from EGW. Planned mods are a rear sight change to an all-black unit, a larger safety, and a flat-bottom firing pin stop. Minor changes that will make the gun shoot so much nicer.

I actually like it more than my 45ACP 1911. The recoil impulse is faster, but it feels like it is less overall. Plus, the faster slide means faster back-on-target, and faster double-taps.

The only thing I don't like about the gun is ammo prices, but seeing as this is just an occasional range-toy, it wont hurt too bad in the wallet. I have other 9mm's and 22lr's to plink with.

Image Enlarger

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 18, 2012 - 10:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Get a Wolff 20# recoil spring for the gun, if it's original spring it will have 16 or 18 pound spring, depending when in the first year the gun was built. My old DE was after frame mod, but before they did 18# spring. Colt uses 20# 2 stage spring as standard spring now, so do upgrade to 20# 2 stage spring from Colt now or go to Wolff and go single spring and then EGW FP Stop when you can. I you go Wolff you might also order a 22# spring incase you decide to hand load hot stuff or shoot some of the speciality ammo like Double Tap.  

Revolvers   

1911's   

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1688
November 19, 2012 - 10:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a real nice looking Colt you have there.  Have fun with it!  I've had a Delta Gold Cup on my 'list" for a long time now and just haven't gotten around to checking it off yet.  Seeing this makes me want to step it up and fill that slot sooner rather than later.

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 19, 2012 - 10:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

As a general rule you need deep pockets to buy factory 10mm ammo, and it's not a standard stock caliber in most stores. In other words if not reloading for 10mm, you are severly limiting yourself to having an expensive safe queen.  

I reload for 10mm and 38 Super because it's lot cheaper and there is not a good selection of factory ammo. With 10mm reloading you have more choice of types and weights then any other handgun caliber.

Revolvers   

1911's   

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5297
November 19, 2012 - 7:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Waldo- couldn't agree more!  I saw some 10mm WIN ammo at a local store last weekend and just for laughs I asked the clerk  what the price was.....

$28 for 20 rounds; rediculous. 

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 19, 2012 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Probably the Winchester 175 gr SilverTip personel defence ammo. Well known for reliability in standard 2 piece feed ramp guns like the Colt. Here at local farm and feed they are $22 for 20 round box.

Revolvers   

1911's   

IHMSA80x80
Members
November 22, 2012 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BlindFaith429 said 

Problem is though, that it shoots the brass out hard. Luckily I shoot indoors, so brass is easier to find, but still a PITA.

Yeah, no kidding! Mine will send brass about 20 feet back at about 5 o'clock, and that is with mild loads. Norma factory loads will go about 30 feet and if you're trying to catch them, they come at you like a 90 mph fastball. The good thing is, all the brass lands in the same place...very disciplined gun!

The Savantist

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 22, 2012 - 6:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What recoil spring you guys using? A 16# instead of 20# or 22# spring??? The Colt and DW throw them 7-10 feet from me, both have 20# Wolff spring. The DW was 20# from factory and the new SS DE was 18# from factory and I replaced it with a 20# Wolff spring.  

Revolvers   

1911's   

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
November 22, 2012 - 8:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm curious on the spring issue also.  I lost ten pieces of 10mm brass this week at the range due to the gun throwing the cases so far into the 'rough' beside my shooting point.  I hate loosing brass, especially 10's.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
November 22, 2012 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey, Murphy strikes on regular basis when it comes to losing cases. I lose at least one every trip, even with huge tarp I mentioned above. mad

Revolvers   

1911's   

IHMSA80x80
Members
December 5, 2012 - 5:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
I'm curious on the spring issue also.  I lost ten pieces of 10mm brass this week at the range due to the gun throwing the cases so far into the 'rough' beside my shooting point.  I hate loosing brass, especially 10's.

I used to hate losing 10mm cases also. Lately, I've noticed new 10mm brass going for the same as .45 ACP brass. Now it doesn't bother me as much.

The Savantist

Waldo Pepper
Ozark Hills
Members
December 5, 2012 - 6:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's something you should read, it's from Wolff Springs FAQ section. Lot of good info there, you all would be well served to go there and read the whole section.

FAQ 3. What weight recoil spring should I use with a particular load? 

This is a very common but hard question to answer in exact terms and in most cases an exact answer is not possible. There are many factors which influence the correct weight recoil spring to use. These factors include the particular ammunition brand and load, individual pistol characteristics, individual shooting styles and your individual, subjective feeling of how the gun shoots and should feel. 

The factory spring weight is designed to operate the pistol with what would be considered average loads, plus or minus a little.  It is not uncommon for manufacturers to specify what they consider a factory ammunition load.

In general terms, the heaviest recoil spring that will allow the pistol to function reliably is the best choice - tempered by the above factors. As a rule of thumb, if your spent casings are first hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet, a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure reliable functioning. 

Taking these factors into consideration, it then comes down to how the gun feels and performs when shooting - in your judgment. However, using too light a recoil spring can result in damage to the pistol and possible injury to you.

Revolvers   

1911's   

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 31
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330