Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
High Standard Duramatic 101
lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1570
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 10, 2013 - 9:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey guys I have a question. I am planning to attend an auction this weekend, where among other things they have a High Standard Duramatic 101 listed. I know nothing about them, can anybody tell me, is this something to possibly try for? I have read that they were good pistols. Would anybody give me a ballpark value, assuming very good condition? Here is the only pic available-

fi54.cgi_.jpgImage Enlarger

There is also a Blackhawk in .30 carbine, any thoughts on that one?

Thanks!

-Lonwolf

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

SMKYTXN
Houston
Members
Forum Posts: 288
September 10, 2013 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The dura-matic is a lower line in the hi-standard 22 world. Here's one on armslist that's selling for $275. 

Here's John Stimson's rundown on the duramatic. 

After purchasing a very good condition HD Military I have been watching for other hi-standards to add to the collection. The duramatic isn't very high on my list though. From the prices I've seen, $300 would be the highest I would go for a very good condition gun with the box. If you can pick it up for $200 it will be a fun shooter. 

I paid $500 for the HD Military and it had the original box and the hangtag still on the trigger guard. 

I'm holding out for something in the model 107 realm, or a nice victor. Good luck with your decision. I hope this info helps. I am by no means an expert on the subject. 

Nathan

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
September 10, 2013 - 11:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have owned/shot several High Standards over the years.

The first was in the "way back" years, when I sold off almost everything, was a Sharpshooter, good gun and my son bought one in Texas that was in my custody for 14 months, again, a ggod gun.

Several years ago I bought a Victor, just because I had to, also a good gun.

Two things to watch for with a High Standard pistol are:

Magazines can need a lot of tweaking to feed properly for an individual gun. HS guns seem to be a litlle magazine>gun sensitive.

Also, Hamden/East Hartford High Standards may not stand up well to a steady, long term diet of high velocity .22 lr. Frame cracks can develop, that are not actually a functional problem but bear some watching.

John Stimson is the HS authority, I'd also suggest doing some research on 

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

If I ever need info on a rimfire, this where I check first, and over the years I have owned well over a dozen .22 lr pistols/revolvers/rifles

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
September 11, 2013 - 12:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lonwolf93 said

There is also a Blackhawk in .30 carbine, any thoughts on that one?

One of those has been on my short list for quite a while. I haven't shot one yet, but I've read many posts by people who have. Two thoughts seem to be common among those posts...big bang & big fireball.big-grin Both are characteristics which appeal to me immensely.range-time The also say that recoil is fairly tame.

John Stimson
Indianapolis
Members
Forum Posts: 24
October 26, 2013 - 6:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT said
I have owned/shot several High Standards over the years.

The first was in the "way back" years, when I sold off almost everything, was a Sharpshooter, good gun and my son bought one in Texas that was in my custody for 14 months, again, a ggod gun.

Several years ago I bought a Victor, just because I had to, also a good gun.

Two things to watch for with a High Standard pistol are:

Magazines can need a lot of tweaking to feed properly for an individual gun. HS guns seem to be a litlle magazine>gun sensitive.

Also, Hamden/East Hartford High Standards may not stand up well to a steady, long term diet of high velocity .22 lr. Frame cracks can develop, that are not actually a functional problem but bear some watching.

John Stimson is the HS authority, I'd also suggest doing some research on 

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

If I ever need info on a rimfire, this where I check first, and over the years I have owned well over a dozen .22 lr pistols/revolvers/rifles

I have well over 300 High Standard pistols of all models and time frames.  I have fired well over half of them.  With the exception of the ones that came with Triple K magazines, all have functioned reliably without any magazine adjustment.  There are other issues like a fresh recoil spring  and dry fire dimples that can affect proper feeding. Perhaps I am just lucky but I have never tweaked a magazine. 

The frame cracks are a reality in a small number of cases and with enough abuse through a worn recoil spring and high velocity ammunition will eventually affect function.  When a second crack forms on the left side function is almost always affected.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye, Tom Hawk
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377