Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Abandoned the Model 15 Search- Purchased a 1911 Instead
cdf294
Central TX
Members
Forum Posts: 394
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 21, 2009 - 4:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

After having purchased that unfired/NIB Model 12 recently, I decided I better get out and find myself a shooter to avoid firing the Model 12 (which has been calling my name recently). Now I have the Supermags I can shoot, but I was looking for something a little "lighter" to shoot for now- especially since my elbow has been very grouchy for the past month or so.

I've searched high and low for a model 15 at a reasonable price and it just hasn't worked out. I have always had a thing for 1911's but never really owned one that I was happy with (other than my very first Series 70 Colt Gold Cup) and that I didn't feel needed a ton of gunsmithing to be acceptable. There are plenty of top quality 1911's out there but I don't have 4 digits of disposable income to get into one that won't need "work". 

Then I started looking at the Dan 1911's. I wasn't exactly excited about spending that much coin right now so I searched out other options. I finally found something I can work with.

The 1911 I purchased is from a little company about 10 miles up the road called STI. This pistol is the bottom of the barrel and still has tighter tolerances than ANY pistol I've ever owned before. I was a little concerned with obtaining the entry level model, sight unseen. Fortunately, I found one locally to handle, and it appears to be a high quality build for the price. Zero movement in the frame to slide fitment and zero movement in the barrel. It certainly doesn't remind me of my last rattling Series 80 Gold Cup. About the only weakness I can see in this pistol right off is the feed ramp- it could use a nice polishing. That will give me something to do the next rainy weekend I guess. I am really impressed with this gun for the price and hope it shoots as well as I expect it will.

I can't wait to hit the range.Range Time  Calling Dusty Trail.....calling Dusty Trail.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
April 21, 2009 - 5:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had never owned a 1911 before picking up my DW CBOB.  Fortantely I was able to find a used one!

Sound like you and Dusty are in for some fun soon... I just hope you can find ammo!

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
April 21, 2009 - 6:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wahoo!

I just happen to have some fresh 10mm and think my CBOB could use a little work!

Congrats on the acquisition CDF, I'm eager to see it!

Full size?

.45 ACP?

Must be about time for that second conference, send me a PM!

-->By the way, I suspect there is still a model 15 in your future...

-DT

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
April 21, 2009 - 6:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congradulations on your 1911 purchase.  Everything I have read about STI indicated they produce very good pistols.

I have a pre-CZ Dan Wesson Panther stainless.  I conceal-carried it for a while but grew tired of the weight and switched to a snub revolver (Colt Cobra).

I have been tying to find a dealer who has an STI Texican (Colt SAA clone) I can look at.  No luck sofar...Broken Computer

Wayne

3PPCLined.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 21, 2009 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, the new DW 1911's are really pretty pricey, and the great deals on used ones of used ones is a thing of the past. For what it's worth, in 1911's, I've had good results with 2 Taurus PT 1911's, although Taurus does seem to have a fairly well deserved bad rep for Customer Service.

My son was away from home for training 8 weeks, took just one pistol for recreational purposes, his PT1911 (and left his Kimber home).

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11017
April 21, 2009 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have yet to own a 1911, but I am warming up to them. Whatever I end up with, I'm sure will be used...at least until I decide what I like.

Congrats on your newest arrival in the lead-slingin' family.Cool No pics?? 😛

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 21, 2009 - 6:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DT- it's a full sized, single stack 45 with adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front.

I will send you a PM tomorrow and we can try to arrange the 2nd conference. It's rather ironic- I sold my XD45 and all of the 45 ammo to pay for the 7445. Here I am at the same crossroad I find myself at all too often, I need ammo for a 45 again.

I did pick up 100 rounds so I (we Smile) can see how it shoots though. I look forward to shooting that 10mm as well.

Wayne- I have not seen a Texican here in Austin either. I would suspect, having seen and purchased the bottom end of the STI line, that the Texican would be a very nice rig as well. It sounds like you and I are on the same page though- I don't buy anything that I can't confirm, in person, is acceptable to my desires/needs/expectations.

If money weren't an issue, I might have gone with the "Perfect 10" model. What's not to like about a $2500 longslide 10mm (except the price)?

IMG_0985-1.jpg

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 21, 2009 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

Congrats on your newest arrival in the lead-slingin' family.Cool No pics?? :P

Party foul.

I guess this thread is useless without pics. I will see what I can do about that momentarily.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 21, 2009 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just snapped one quick picture. The flash made it look 2-tone even though the frame and slide are a much closer match in normal lighting. Weird.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
April 21, 2009 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sweet!

I like the coating and the sights - that's a fine looking weapon.

We'll have some fun - I've got some .45 rounds to contribute...Range Time

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 21, 2009 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

STI Spartan is a pretty well regarded 1911.

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Adjustable rear, F/O front, and nice looking too!

You did good, but as a rule, I would NEVER polish a feed ramp unless it doesn't feed well. Wring it out first with a variety of ammo, if it ain't broke, why fix it ("fixing" it could create a problem)?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 21, 2009 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT said:

You did good, but as a rule, I would NEVER polish a feed ramp unless it doesn't feed well. Wring it out first with a variety of ammo, if it ain't broke, why fix it (”fixing” it could create a problem)?

That's a very good point Steve.

I certainly intend on sticking every flavor of ammo through it before making a rash decision.

As a mechanic, that's the golden rule- if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you fix it when it's not broken, it is almost guaranteed to create nothing but headaches for you.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11017
April 21, 2009 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve's got a good point, you should see how it behaves first.Smile

Great lookin' gun, BTW!Cool  Now that there's a pic in this thread, all is right with the world once again.Laugh LOL

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 21, 2009 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dusty Trail said:

We'll have some fun - I've got some .45 rounds to contribute…Range Time

That's great Dusty- sounds like a plan.

I will have to turn you loose with the 445 on the next trip. I think, much like the 357SM, you will be pleasantly surprised at the tolerable recoil and have a good time shooting it.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
April 21, 2009 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OOOOhhhhhhh............fun...............Laugh

But, you know, I REALLY don't need anymore fine handguns.

None.  Not any more, as I just said.  I don't need any...especially another 1911....sheeesh.....

Maybe an AGS...

Pretty nice STI...

Confused

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
April 22, 2009 - 9:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice new hot rod you got there. If I remember correctly I believe DW uses some STI parts in their guns so It's at least a branch kin cousin. I have heard good things about STI also. Send us a range report after the smoke test. And of course more pics.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
April 22, 2009 - 9:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and BTW. You don't think you are getting off that easy do you. You still need a 15 eventually. DWAS doesn't go away.

Wink

cdf294
Central TX
Members
April 22, 2009 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lbruce said:

Oh and BTW. You don't think you are getting off that easy do you. You still need a 15 eventually. DWAS doesn't go away.

Wink

lbruce- thats funny.Laugh

I thought about that myself. I figure I have a couple months before I have obtained all the brass, bullets, and a steady supply of ready to shoot ammo for the STI before the DWAS bug comes back. Let's hope so at least.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
April 22, 2009 - 10:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You probably are right about that. However hanging out here tends to exacerbate DWAS. Not that that's a bad thing. And if your luck runs like mine all kinds of oppurtinuties for a M 15will pop up now that the funds are committed elsewhere.

Any way I am sure you will have fun chasing brass.

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
April 22, 2009 - 1:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

Congrats on your newest arrival in the lead-slingin' family.Cool 

The correct terminology for semi-autos is "brass-flingers".

Nice quality .45 there. I only have 3 semi-auto centerfires, but it looks like a Dan Wesson will have to make it number 4 sometime.

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: bikeridertim, 3ric, 605Dart
Guest(s) 39
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879