Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
357 choices, can't make up my mind
mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
Forum Posts: 969
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 20, 2010 - 12:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SHOOTIST357 said:

Behold -- the Original Charter Arms "undercover" 38.  Nice and compact, shoots a little low at combat distances, and kicks like a mule.  Looks identical to the new models above.  This was my first purchase on new years day of 2010--  Out the door for $200.

Image Enlarger

Very nice.  Is this going to be your carry gun???  Have you looked at the Barami Hip Grip for this gun?  What are your thoughts on the Hip Grip?

Happyness is a Hot DW and a pile of used brass!!! Rich

Zundfolge
Colorado Springs
Members
Forum Posts: 155
March 20, 2010 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hip grips ... Clip Draws ... any other form of "Modified Mexican carry" are really nowhere near as good as a proper piece of CCW leather (or Kydex ... or in this case even nylon).

Protects the gun, protects you, retains the gun better most importantly covers the trigger.

mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
March 20, 2010 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zundfolge said:

Hip grips ... Clip Draws ... any other form of "Modified Mexican carry" are really nowhere near as good as a proper piece of CCW leather (or Kydex ... or in this case even nylon).

Protects the gun, protects you, retains the gun better most importantly covers the trigger.

Interesting way of putting it.  Now, lets get down to figuring this thing out.  What would you call "proper piece of CCW leather"???  Try to lead me in the direction to actually finding a "Proper Piece of CCW Leather" for the Charter Arms Target Mag Pug.  For me, I need to get it inside my belt/pants.

mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
March 20, 2010 - 9:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How about something like this:

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

The Silver Dollar with Inside The Waistband Straps - Pair

Zundfolge
Colorado Springs
Members
Forum Posts: 155
March 21, 2010 - 1:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I just ordered a Sourdough from Simply Rugged for my 14-2 … I'll post a full review when I get it (EDIT: I didn't get the IWB loops though, if I decide to convert it to IWB I'll do it like I've done before … see below). Anyway, a LOT of the wheel gun guys swear by Simply Rugged.

Several other good options direct from Charter here.

I had a nice double clip style holster for a SW99 compact I used to own made by Side Guard (they don't list the Charter, but it should be about the same as a J frame or Ruger SP101).

Also if you can't find someone that makes a good IWB holster, a Pancake style holster can easily be converted to IWB with a couple of holster clips, a drill press, some chicago screws and a couple washers. My current daily carry gun is a Steyr S40 in a pancake holster made for an M40 that I modifed for IWB. In fact if I was to order one from Charter, I'd probably order the pancake they sell and add clips to it.

You can also get tuckable clips from Crossbreed for $7.50 (I might try these for my next pancake conversion) You might also see if the J frame or SP101 Supertuck from Crossbreed would work with a Charter (they're ugly, but the guys that use them really swear by them).

Of course here's the ultimate list of holster makers. Most of them don't specifically list Charters, but like I said, I'd think a J frame holster should be similar (you should ask the holster makers though).

But compared to a clipdraw or hip grip, even a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon IWB holster would be better.

mox-ct
Salem, CT
Members
March 21, 2010 - 9:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now we are talking.  I liked the Hip Grip, but with a holster I can have a Crimpson Grip lazer sight.

Thanks so much for all the ideas and links.  My keyboard is wet.  Drool

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
March 23, 2010 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since my 14-2 is currently down for "maintenance"...  here is a shot of the undercover in its ROSS clip IWB holster.  I'm a big fan of ROSS holsters.  This one is velcro adjustable and ambidextrious.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

SHOOT

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: stonebuster, thegunguy
Guest(s) 43
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330