Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
.357 Maxi/20 gauge over and under by Savage Arms
tommy2waffle
South Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 23, 2010 - 2:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have just come by a .357 Maxi over a 20 gauge, made by Savage Arms.  They have apparently made a good many over and and unders with 20 and 410 gauges underneath, .357 Magnums, 30-30s, and .22 LRs seemingly being amongst the most popular.  The guy I acquired it from had contacted Savage and after giving them the serial number, found out it was (according to the person on the phone) only one of five made.

It has a 20" barrel length, came with a pistol grip (a full stock has been added); there is also a warning on the side of the rifle,  warning of excessive recoil; this is probably if used with the pistol grip.  It is in beautiful condition and only a few scars on the wooden stocks.  It is what looks like nickle plated (as they apparently finished all their O/u in this or blued).

I went to the Savage Arms web site and found that they are not taking any e-mails, nor are they any long providing "historical services" but gave the name of a man who does have access to the historical data on Savage Arms.

Another example of "customer service" is the first-thing-to-go.  Have any of you ever seen such a gun?  Can't wait to take it to the forest and try it out.Post Pics

Tom Meservey, USN (Ret) Gun control, first grip the Dan Wesson in both hands……………

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
April 23, 2010 - 7:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Tommy,

I've heard of their o/u's but not in the 357 Max.  Sounds like a cool purchase!  Now we need some cool pics of it with one of your DWs. Big Grin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
April 23, 2010 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That does sound like a unique gun, congrats on your score.occasion We'd definitely love to see some pics, if you can...being one of five, I bet most of us haven't seen one either.Laugh

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
April 23, 2010 - 3:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a few of the savage 24 series, but I've been on the hunt for the 357/20 for a few years.  They made more than five of them--I see them every once in a while, but they are either beat or out of my price range.

I'd like the standard 357/20, but I'll take the Max if you decide to sell it 🙂

SHOOT

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
June 16, 2010 - 4:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I was 12, Santa brought me a Savage 20ga/.22mag...took my first pheasant with it, some bunnies and some groundhogs with a small Weaver scope.  Boy it was fun.

-Photo

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
May 3, 2011 - 9:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats on that O/U. I have the .22/.410 version. My father had one too. They were great for shooting in a squirrel nest with the .22 and then shooting the squirrel with the .410 when he jumped out. A great hunting gun.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: 3ric
Guest(s) 31
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377