Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Proud New Owner of a .445 Super Mag
445Ranger
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 3, 2012 - 1:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Everyone - was doing some research on a Christmas present that I received over the weekend.  My late half brother was the proud owner of a .445 Super Mag and my half sister though it best to pass it down to me as a christmas present.

I wasn't sure what it was worth or where I can find ammunition or accessories for it.

Serial Number is 445S000918 and it was built in Palmer Mass.

Looks to be stainless and has a 10" barrel

Came in the origional styrofoam box with cardboard sheath.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
January 3, 2012 - 2:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcometo the dwf-sign. Nice hog leg you got there. This is the place to learn all things releated to your Dan, Some of it may even be usefull. wink

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

95XL883
Overland Park, KS
Members
Forum Posts: 840
January 3, 2012 - 2:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcome to the forum and thanks for the cool-pics.  As LB said, very nice hog leg.  (I've got it's little brother, a 357 SM in stainless from Palmer.)  I'm guessing that you can fire 44 specials and 44 magnums as well as 44 SM through it.  (At least my 357 can easily handle the specials and magnums also.)  One thing if you use the lesser rounds is to clean the carbon scoring out of the cylinders holes.  If you don't, you may have trouble inserting or more likely ejecting the SM's once you go to those.  It's not a big deal if you keep up with it.  For accessories, check out EWK Arms and LB Custom Grips.  Both do great work.  Unless you already have an EWK barrel wrench, you really want one of his.  

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
January 3, 2012 - 3:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First let me say welcome to the forum and you have my sympathies for the lost of your half brother.  It's very nice that your Sister wanted to keep this one in the family!

Conservatively since you have the box and it's a 10" you're probably looking in the $900-$1200 range if it were to come to auction on GunBroker.  

You can purchase ammo for it from Bullseye Shooting Supplies.  Looks like they have it on sale right now as well.

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
January 3, 2012 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the DWF and the Big Bang method of handgun shooting.

smile

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Adam42
Mts of East Tennessee
Members
Forum Posts: 682
January 3, 2012 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the world of Dan Wesson and to the forum. That is a great looking revolver you inherited there, sorry for your loss your half brother keep it super looking shape. There are a lot of very smart folks that hang out here, you should be able to find lots about your Super Mag here. 

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 3, 2012 - 6:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to DWF. You acquired this SuperMag in upsetting circumstances, but it is a superior, high power handgun. My one and only experience shooting 445 SM was fun, but once is enough for me, but I don't even like .44 Magnum all that much. Enjoy that SuperMag, there's not a lot of them around.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3246
January 3, 2012 - 8:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcome to the great dwf-sign home to many affected by dwas, see acronyms to the side..   As to your reason for acquiring this fine revolver, you have my sympathy as well as the others that have posted.  This is no way to have to gain such a possession.  As mentioned above Bullseye sometimes has loaded 445SM ammo, but so does   http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=2.   You may also find ammo by other loaders on Gunbroker at times.  Other than those few sources the 445SM is a handloaders cartridge.  I have fired .44magnum's in my 445SM a few times but found accuracy very minimal with the shorter cartridge since the bullet has to travel further in the cylinder.  My experience shooting .38 specials from .357 magnum revolvers is outstanding, but in my case the same did not hold true for the .445SM.  I also found my 445SM likes loads closer to maximum for the best accuracy.  Again welcome and hopefully you find the right combination to enjoy your Dan Wesson. 

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
January 3, 2012 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the DWF. Congrats on your new acquisition. Sorry for your loss.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
January 4, 2012 - 12:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcome aboard & thanks for sharing thecool-pics

Your half brother obviously had great taste in guns. My condolences to you & the rest of the family for your loss.

I too, have found that my 445 doesn't have good accuracy with .44 Mag, it only took me 6 shots to decide that.laugh Mine's an 8" heavy barrel & it seems to like 300gr 445 bullets best.

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 4, 2012 - 7:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, as said sad how you acquired this Dan!  Take good care of it and ask away!  Folks here will share what they know freely!  

Thanks for the cool-pics!

DSCN1339.jpg

445Ranger
Members
January 4, 2012 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What can I expect in terms of kick from this weapon?  I have a stainless 9mm from smith and wesson.  How would this gun compare to that one?

Does the different ammo make an appreciable difference in the kick?  For example does the .300 grain .445 supermag ammo pack a much bigger punch than the standard .44 mags?  I have never fired a hand gun this large and I am interested in managing my expectations when I take it to the range.

I definately will be picking up one of those wrenches so thanks to the guy who posted the link.  My grip could also use some upgrading too as the stock grip is a bit uncomfortable.  Any recommendations for those that have the 10" barrell?

Where can I pick up a sweet sight that will fit this gun?  Any recommendations there?

445Ranger
Members
January 4, 2012 - 7:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I checked out that reed's ammo site and it looks like they have whan I am looking for.  Can you comment on which .445 ammo would be best?  I'm thinking the Sierra .300 SuperMag ammo:

http://shop.reedsammo.com/product.sc?productId=1613&categoryId=143

Also can anyone provide me with a breakdown of how to dismantle and clean my new .445 supermag as well as what products to use?  I have been using Hoppe's on mym 9mm.  Is it worth taking it to a gunsmith to have it looked at, professionally cleaned up and calibrated before I fire it?

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
January 4, 2012 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Expect a lot of recoil, however, it's not much more than a .44 magnum..  The heavier the bullet, the greater the recoil. I prefer a smaller bullet.

The 10-inch barrel will help a lot with the recoil. The recoil from a 9 would feel like shooting a BB gun in comparison.

For grips see LB Custom grips.  He has an ad and a link in the right column. My favorite style is the LB Special.

I use clean-bore for cleaning and a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone for lubrication.

I remove my barrel assembly for cleaning, everything else gets cleaned in place.

goodluck

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
January 4, 2012 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can't comment on the recoil of a 445 Super Mag as I've never fired one but I can say that a 44 mag is an order of magnitude more recoil than a 9mm and the SuperMag is stronger still. Not trying to scare you, just prepare you.  Hang on tight.  One thing for sure, you won't want to run a few hundred rounds thru it in one outing like you can do in a 9mm.  I did that today with my new SIG P250SC, just to get to the point where I can actually hit something with it.  Practice makes perfect.

Order up some lighter ammo and go have some fun. You could try running a few 44 mags just to ramp up to the big stuff.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11078
January 5, 2012 - 1:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As these guys said, the recoil will be nothing like shooting your 9mm. A .445 has probably 3 times the powder behind a much larger bullet. It will have more recoil than a .44, but not by an obscene amount. Your long barrel length will help a lot in that regard.

I usually use a finger groove grip, so the gun is easier to hang onto. LB made me an awesome one a while back.smile Still, by 50 ~ 75 rounds, my hands are getting tired & I'm flinching badly. I can go 150+ with my .44, especially with my Super Blackhawk, before I'm ready to switch down to .357's.wink

The Sierra 300gr bullet is what I load for mine & is currently my favorite. Here's a pic of mine...

Image Enlarger

Do a few dry fires. If your gun cycles fine, I probably wouldn't worry about having a smith check it out. Just make sure your cylinder gap is good (.002 ~ .003" is what I use), and your barrel nut is snug.

These days, I use M-Pro7 for most of my cleaning duties, and ATF for lube on barrel threads & action internals. Rem oil will also work fine on barrel threads. Then I do a quick polish on the stainless with some Flitz.

There's a good disassembly tutorial HERE , however the large frame guns can be more difficult to tear down than small frame guns. I've only had my 7445 apart twice in two years, my small frame guns get torn down after each range trip, that may tell ya something.lol2

My gun was super dirty when I first got it, so me being the clean freak I am, I blew it apart for it's first good scrubbing...

Image Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: lonwolf93, DA....64, 605Dart
Guest(s) 12
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3940