Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Help identifying a .445 supermag
Jbradley
Members
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 5, 2017 - 1:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

does anyone know about a DW .445 Supermag that has the Serial Number "VERITAS"?  No number, all stainless, wood grips and leather holster.  Looking to buy it and just curious if anyone knows anything about it...

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
July 5, 2017 - 7:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dan Wesson used customized serial numbers but information is hard to find. I think Steve has some info and will probably chime in. Very neat serial number. Friends, employees and celebrities often had customized serial numbers. Is it a Monson, Palmer or Norwalk roll mark? That will narrow down the age a little. Bottom line, it is a supermag. The serial numbers don't seem to affect value except for the ETG guns. The wood " handle" is customarily reffered to as "grips" even though they are one piece. Before Dan Wessons grips were usually two pieces that attached to the frame. If the price is right do not delay your purchase. Supermags are unique and will not likely be made again. 

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
July 5, 2017 - 10:12 pm

That sounds interesting and if condition is good I'd buy-now as snake-eye said.  Steve may have some info on that gun but not sure.  Why does that name sound familiar to me?

Hmm, found this on a google search of the word VERITAS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veritas

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

DA....64
Wisconsin

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1510
Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
July 6, 2017 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
Dan Wesson used customized serial numbers but information is hard to find. I think Steve has some info and will probably chime in. Very neat serial number. Friends, employees and celebrities often had customized serial numbers. Is it a Monson, Palmer or Norwalk roll mark? That will narrow down the age a little. Bottom line, it is a supermag. The serial numbers don't seem to affect value except for the ETG guns. The wood " handle" is customarily reffered to as "grips" even though they are one piece. Before Dan Wessons grips were usually two pieces that attached to the frame. If the price is right do not delay your purchase. Supermags are unique and will not likely be made again.   

I don't have any info on this, most of what I have is from earlier years. Some manufacturers ( I think DW/CZ was one) would custom serial number. This has been especially prevalent with manufacturers of AR lowers in recent years.

Virtually all the custom S/N's that I have were done for Dan Wesson insiders and their friends in the earlier Monson years. There is a real big geographical grouping of original owners in the south eastern MA area 

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Jbradley
Members
July 11, 2017 - 10:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yeah, it's in mint condition.  He has 4-5 other Supermags, one is NIB.  i'm just intrigued by the Veritas one.  that name comes up and references Boondock Saints, but i found a list of the guns in that movie, and it's not on the list.  supposedly there is another one that matches this one, also with "Veritas" as the SN somewhere on the east coast.  Thanks for the help and input tho...here's a pic of the FrameVeritas-Supermag.JPGImage Enlarger

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
July 11, 2017 - 11:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jbradley said
Supposedly there is another one that matches this one, also with "Veritas" as the SN somewhere on the east coast. 

I don't believe two firearms can have the same serial number .. it must be different in some way.

Jbradley
Members
July 11, 2017 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that's what i thought too.  My buddy said he's talked to the guy that owns the other one and the story is that they're a matched set from a movie...i just have no idea which one.  maybe his has a SN ending in 2 or something...

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3242
July 17, 2017 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I knew a guy that had one of these from Midwest.  Is that the one you are looking at?

I did a lot of research at the time and could not come up with anything either other than being told it was made for actors that were in the movie.

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Jbradley
Members
July 17, 2017 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

probably the same one, i'm in the Midwest.  the other one is supposedly on the East Coast...or was last time we knew.

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3242
July 17, 2017 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Jbradley
Members
July 18, 2017 - 12:35 am

There's no need for name calling here.  Feel free to contact me off forum

-removed open posted email address per DWF policy- rwsem

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
July 18, 2017 - 8:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger said

Jbradley said
Supposedly there is another one that matches this one, also with "Veritas" as the SN somewhere on the east coast. 

I don't believe two firearms can have the same serial number .. it must be different in some way.  

It is correct that the same S/N cannot be on two different guns with the same Model identification.

Several years ago I bought (used, from a knowledgeable FFL) what was advertised and transferred as as a 714(Stainless, fixed rear sight). It was actually a blued 14-2 that had been refinished.

The correct model of a Stainless .445 Supermag would be 7445. The "matching" gun with the same S/N would have to be a .445 Supermag, a blued gun or carrying some other distinct feature that makes it a different model. There may well be two DW revolvers  in 445 SM that say "Veritas" on the frame, they would be different models.

I am aware of a couple dozen DW revolvers with almost identical S/N's (three initials-#) in a variety of calibers. Any time a member encounters something like "SDR-1", please PM me for more information.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
July 19, 2017 - 6:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I read "matching", I thought identical or same .. but I guess it could mean anything.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 62
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377