Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Barnes TSX - Best .300 win mag bullet?
Mars
Members
Forum Posts: 67
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 18, 2009 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know this is off the Dan Wesson topic, but you folks seem like a pretty knowledgable bunch.  occasion  Maybe you can help me out...

My old man is doing a big guided Alaskan grizzly trip coming up this year. He will be shooting his .300 win mag and is looking for some bullet recommendations. He's always loaded Hornaday 180 grain (not sure the exact bullet), but was hoping to bump up the bullet weight to gain some stopping power.

I've heard good things about the Barnes TSX, and they make a 200 grain that might be just the trick to slow down a big bear. Anyone have experience with this bullet?

What would you guys load?

Any good load combos for the .300 win mag that are getting some good groups with a larger than 180 grain bullet?

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3242
May 18, 2009 - 4:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mars,

I load the 300 Win. Mag but have never loaded above 180 grains so I cannot help there.  I have loaded the TSX in 7MM-08 and 270 Winchester.  If you have done any reading on these bullets most writers comment on them beinga bit finnicky, is that how you spell that?,  anyway they are a little different to deal with.  The Barnes instructions recommend a certain distance back off the lans and their recomendation is usually conflicting with the overall magazine dimension.  What this all means is that if you follow their instructions the OACL usually ends up longer than what you can install in the magazine so you must shorten it up just that it fits.  We have achieved on par results accuracy wise in the two calibers mentioned with other bullets such as Winchester ballistic tips.  The TSX are very expensive so we loaded some equal weight lesser expensive bullets to play with powder and charge sizes until we found a combo that worked well then moved over to the TSX and adjusted from there.  We have acheived 2" groups at 100 yards with the TSX, not thrilling, but satisfactory for PA deer. 

My son took a 65 lb. Hog in SC this past winter with the 7MM-08 and a TSX and it did its job well around 85 yards I believe. 

This report is not quite an equal to your request but has been our experience with TSX's

SMF 

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Mars
Members
Forum Posts: 67
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: bikeridertim, 605Dart
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)