Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
A 1970-era .357 Model 11, or what the NYPD Dan Wesson looked like:
David Abney
Members
Forum Posts: 69
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 14, 2013 - 4:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

102_1978.JPG

Recently, I had a few inquires on the NYPD .38 Dan Wesson Model 11 and 'what' it looked like. Some have never seen the Model 11, until visiting gunbroker and scoping this forum here. This picture is not good but it can give someone a good idea of 'what' the Model 11 looked like. The NYPD Model 11, would have looked like this, only the exposed barrel nut may have been smooth. Chargerfan has one of these type Model 11's, in .38 and with a smooth exposed bbl. nut. Knowing 'what' I do now of the Model 11, had I been a rookie with the NYPD in 1971/70 time, I would have selected the 11 over the S&W Model 10 or the Colt Metropolitan MK III. Those were the two other NYPD-approved .38's in 1970 and nothing wrong with either! From my own 'personal' experience with 'my' own Model 11, the selection would have been easy. The "accuracy-factor" and "durability" of the Dan Wesson would have been the over-riding factors for me. I have been shooting fixed and adjustable sight d.a. revolvers since 1971. I have been "blessed" to have had the opportunity to shoot many different makes and models. I'm here to tell you ,the Dan Wesson, pictured above, would have been my service revolver for any and all types of law enforcement jobs or assignments! It's accuracy was unmatched by 'any' of my other revolvers that included, the Python X 2, my beloved Official Police, S&W Models 10, 15, 28, and .38/44 Heavy Duty. Also my Rugers, the GP-100, Police Service-Six, Security-Six and an assortment of self-loading blasters I won't mention. I got introduced late to this Model 11 (1997) as I foolishly was put off by its Flash Gordon Ray Gun look with it's exposed barrel nut and porkchop shaped shroud. Thank goodness, I overcame that bias and was introduced to the 'most' accurate fixed sight revolver ever! Thank you my friends and a 'special' thanks to the Dan Wesson Forum leadership for their sacrifice and expertise, freely shared with us. These fine folks have helped my Dan Wesson knowledge grow!

David

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Charger Fan
Guest(s) 46
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912