Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
738P Lil Dan
caryg
Hutto texas
Members
Forum Posts: 18
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 29, 2010 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am getting a little dan 38+p revolver, question, I see on the barrel after 38+p it says CTG anybody know what that means? also below wesson arms it says palmer, does anyone know when the best quality control was at the two different plants? Just curious. when i get the gun will post pictures, thanksLaugh

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11017
August 29, 2010 - 10:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

caryg said:

I see on the barrel after 38+p it says CTG anybody know what that means?

That means Cartridge...meaning it's not black powder.Wink Honestly, I don't know why they still use that on modern guns. Maybe it's in the government rulebook somewhere.Screwy

heresyourdipstickjimmy
Mo
Members
Forum Posts: 49
August 29, 2010 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

CTG = Cartridge

You should find this on most of the standard DW revolvers.  When you step into the realm of the .445 Supermag, .357 Supermag, and .414 Supermag you might find things like .357 Max or Maximum in place of say .357 Mag CTG (if what I read on the board is correct).

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 29, 2010 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Many people think the CTG is a part of a Dan Wesson Model name, actually it is their abbreviation for "Cartridge". Your 738 is proofed to fire up to .38 Special +P, a more powerful loading of the .38 Special cartridge. +P's are the same size as the standard .38 Special.

Palmer, MA was the second physical location where DW's were manufactured, beginning in 1992. There has been some discussion that quality control suffered in the Palmer guns. I have no personal knowledge, but there are many Palmer guns owned on DWF and those guys all seem very happy with them.

If I ever stumble across a Lil Dan, I'm buying it!

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
August 29, 2010 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First, the CTG. means cartridge in DW speak.  Second you will find most of us prefer the Monson guns because they were the original.  They generally had better quality control than the Palmer guns.  However, DW repaired the Palmer guns readily and with excellent customer service so any Palmer gun  out there now probably has been repaired, if it had a problem to begin with.

The Norwich guns probable have the best finish quality.

Enjoy your 38+p.  We (my wife and I) actually love ours even though one shoots high and left.

Smile

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: wilburjoe, B4
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788