Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Undisclosed pitting on my "new" 744V
jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
Forum Posts: 255
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 13, 2020 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I agreed to purchase a 744V on another forum. It's pretty basic with a 4" barrel assembly, but looked to be in excellent condition and, in fact, described as excellent condition. I had the seller send additional pics and they looked great. I researched the seller's activity on the Forum and it appeared he had sold several guns with good results and happy customers, so I agreed to buy the gun. When it arrived, it had noticeable pitting on the top, right of the receiver, and along the right vent rib. I went back & looked at the pics and none showed those areas well and it now appears obvious that the seller purposely avoided those areas in the pics and he certainly didn't mention it in the listing or any correspondence. I hate to draw that conclusion, but I sent him a message about it and he hasn't responded. Overall, the gun is a pretty nice example all things considered but I probably would have knocked another $50-$75 off the price had I seen the pitting in advance. I paid $800, which is a reasonable price, w/o the pitting, and maybe it is with the pitting too, but it's a big problem for me that he didn't disclose these flaws. Pics of the 744 & the pitting are below. I'd be interested in feedback on the price & general thoughts on the transaction. I've purchased numerous guns off of well-trafficked forums and never had anything but good experiences before this purchase.

Dan-Wesson-744V.jpgImage Enlarger

744-pitting.jpgImage Enlarger

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

3ric
NC
Members
Forum Posts: 566
July 13, 2020 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's a little difficult to tell from a photograph how bad the pitting is. It doesn't appear to be very deep, but it will take some time and effort that you were not counting on to correct depending on how perfect you want it to turn out. I agree the seller should have taken more care in his photos to show the damage, but at $800.00 I still think you did OK. Ultimately, this is a chance we all take when we purchase something online. Hopefully the seller will eventually respond to your message with an offer to either cancel the transaction, or offer a partial refund. If not, you still are the owner of one of the best .44 Magnums ever made. 

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
July 13, 2020 - 6:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not deep and most of the pitting on the top of the frame should be able to be polished out. The pitting on the vent rib, while not deep either, is probably there for good. I definitely would have offered less, but I may have still purchased the revolver either way, but it's an integrity issue and just about being fully informed on the actual condition of the revolver. Of course, that's why there is the cliche: "buyer beware".

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
July 13, 2020 - 7:44 pm

That's not horrible but definitely should have been disclosed.  Most days the 744s end up selling, at auction, right around $900-1K.  Some time with some steel wool, oil, and then a scotch brite pad should take care of much of that, if it's not too deep.  Otherwise you may have to get some emory cloth and oil... I always tell folks, "stainless steel, isn't".

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
July 14, 2020 - 10:04 am

rwsem said
That's not horrible but definitely should have been disclosed.  Most days the 744s end up selling, at auction, right around $900-1K.  Some time with some steel wool, oil, and then a scotch brite pad should take care of much of that, if it's not too deep.  Otherwise you may have to get some emory cloth and oil... I always tell folks, "stainless steel, isn't".

I'm a bit hesitant to do anything with it as I don't want to ruin the matt finish. I have no experience attempting to work pits out of stainless steel, especially with a matt or bead-blasted appearance. I don't want to make it worse than it is by creating a polished area, but I'll probably try a very tiny section.

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
July 14, 2020 - 4:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would try Flitz and a brass brush first. Use your finger and then the brush. If the pits are superficial it may work. It will not affect the matte finish. Might as well Flitz the whole gun. Then use carnuba wax to keep it from further oxidation. Stainless won't rust but it does get that black corrosion. Never use steel wool on stainless. It can introduce the black corrosion when microscopic particles get in the surface. Again, it won't make the pits disappear but it may remove the corrosion. It is a lot easier than restoring the matte finish. 

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
July 14, 2020 - 7:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The matt finish on the rib/ top strap can be matched with #80 glass bead.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

broncosfan
Members
Forum Posts: 6
July 15, 2020 - 8:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I watched that gun on the forum and pondered buying it for a long time. I wouldn’t have expected the pitting based on the sellers description and pics that I read and saw. Still wasn’t a bad price but I would’ve been a little disappointed after receiving it when that’s an obvious flaw that should’ve been mentioned/photographed. Hope he gets back to you

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
July 15, 2020 - 8:51 am

broncosfan said
I watched that gun on the forum and pondered buying it for a long time. I wouldn’t have expected the pitting based on the sellers description and pics that I read and saw. Still wasn’t a bad price but I would’ve been a little disappointed after receiving it when that’s an obvious flaw that should’ve been mentioned/photographed. Hope he gets back to you

Yep, it was quite a disappointment. Overall, the gun is quite good and the most important thing is that the lockup is like a new gun and zero end shake.

I don't have Flitz on hand, but I do have Mothers, and I've had similar results using both products, so I worked on it with Mothers and a brass brush as Ole Dog suggested and it helped a little, but not much, I think because the pits were a little deeper than they first appeared. I then switched to a cotton cleaning patch and that seemed to have much better results, and the pits are almost gone. You can only see them, but only in the right light now. They do show up noticeably in any photograph, much more so than with the naked eye. It did brighten up the matt finish but it actually looks quite good and it isn't too bright. I'll continue to work on it and post an updated pic once I'm satisfied. I'll probably just leave it as is once I'm finished with the Flitz and not attempt to duplicate the matt finish on the top of the frame. 

Jerry
6 Dans and counting...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: KurtB
Guest(s) 26
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300