Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Shooting 44 Mag and 44SP through a 445 Supermag?
Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 674
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 24, 2021 - 8:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Who's done it?   What were the results?  Still doing it?   What companies out there will still load to order 445 cartridges with the Starline Brass?

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
Forum Posts: 194
July 27, 2021 - 8:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have shot 44 mag in my 445 super mag. They shoot ok. I rather shoot a light 445 load than the 44 mag in my gun. I hand load so it is easy for me. I use my gun to deer hunt.

JohanK
Members
Forum Posts: 7
September 28, 2021 - 5:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, it sorta works, which is the most positive thing I have to say about it 🙂 

I once shot a match with my .445 with .44Mag loaded with 234gr(ish) Keith bullets - somewhat more spread than with .445 cartridges, but the real problem was that the bullets didn't get stabilized enough and ended up tumbling towards the target, hitting sideways more often than not. They do have to jump those 8mm extra before entering the front of the cylinder and the barrel - not sure if they just can't get good enough spin out of the barrel or if it's anything else going on. Might get my hands on a highspeed camera sometime and check it out. 

As 10magnums said, I'd rather shoot light .445 loads as well. 

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
September 28, 2021 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I am wondering why you just don’t reload? Then you will get exactly what you want. Purchase Starline brass, 1680 powder, Federal 155 primers, and a few different weight bullets. Single stage press and some carbide dies. It is not like you will be shooting 1000’s of rounds thru a Supermag. Add a scale and a auto prime and you are set. 

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 674
September 29, 2021 - 11:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

10magnums said
I guess I am wondering why you just don’t reload? Then you will get exactly what you want. Purchase Starline brass, 1680 powder, Federal 155 primers, and a few different weight bullets. Single stage press and some carbide dies. It is not like you will be shooting 1000’s of rounds thru a Supermag. Add a scale and a auto prime and you are set. 

I have 500 NEW Starline Brass and a Box of 1000 CCI Primers, that came with the gun.  I have never reloaded before.    It was suggested that this is not a round for learning to reload.    I am interested in learning.   I would even consider hiring an instructor.    Another option is shipping the brass to Master Reloader, but pricing is unclear with me furnishing the brass

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
September 30, 2021 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This weekend if I have time I will look for the loading info that was given to me when I purchased my 7445. I am not sure why loading a Supermag is anymore difficult than loading any other round. To be honest loading for revolvers is easier than semi autos. 
It would be a good idea to purchase a book on reloading. Read it and see if is something you would like to try. I am still learning and I started in 1980. 

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
October 3, 2021 - 2:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This info is from the June 1990 Silhoutte news paper. The best loads listed were 240 grain bullets, AR-1680 powder, Federal 155 primers. 38 gr = 1539 FPS, group size .9 inch at 50 yards. 38 gr was the best group. 37 and 39 gr = 1.4” groups. These 3 were the best groups listed. The only recommended Fed 155 primers. There was Remington, Winchester, CCI, and other Federal primers used. They said the Fed 155 was the only one that lit up +35 gr loads consistently. Powders tested were H-4227, AR-1680, W-296.

I hope this helps. I would still recommend purchasing a reloading manual to get the full picture of what reloading is about.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3912
October 4, 2021 - 12:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Point 9 inch group at 50 yards is outstanding. Remarkable. 

10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
October 4, 2021 - 10:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That was a 5 shot group also. There must have been at least 30-40 loads listed. When I purchased my gun it came with a 4 die set, 100 pc’s of ETG brass, scope/mount, and the June 1990 Silhoutte news paper. The 7445 just happened to have a ETG serial number. Best $375 I ever spent. I replaced the scope with a Weaver red dot, and used the gun for deer hunting in Wisconsin. If I remember correctly I shot 3 deer in as many years.

40Cal
Backwoods Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 18
October 6, 2021 - 4:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man-o-man, an ETG 445 for $375 is redonkulously cheap, at least these days.  The Gates brass is desirable too.rnReloading is fun and not difficult at all.  I’m not sure I understand 10Magnums comment about reloading revolver rounds easier than semi autos because revolvers require a more stout roll crimp whereas semis are taper crimp or no crimp at all.  Anywho, a few YouTube videos and a good book will get you on your way to reloading.  rnReloading gets progressively less expensive after you reuse the brass once, think of brass as a one-time capital expenditure vs operating expense/consumables such as primers and bullets.  Getting powder (and bullets) may be a little challenging but Midwayusa had 8lbs jugs of Hogdon H110 available right now, and not for long after this posting.  You can make an army with 8 lbs, and the powder will store a decade or more.  445 Bullets will be standard 44 magnum, albeit heavier grain choice for the 445.  Dies will be standard 44 mag too and I always recommend going with carbide.  This means you’ll be able to reload 445, 44 mags and specials with all the same equipment.rnHandgun boolits are easy to reload compared to rifle rounds, and the 445 is as easypeasy as any other handgun load.  Buying reloads is risky because you never know what you’re getting, and some idiot might have over pressured rounds that aren’t safe or will stick in your cylinder as the brass over expands.  Good luck and hit up the forum for any suggestions.  

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
10magnums
North eastern WI
Members
October 7, 2021 - 5:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have the Redding set also.

When I said revolver reloading is easier I should have expanded on my reason.

Bullet shape does not really matter as long as you watch the OAL when loading for a revolver.  Pistol reloading requires watching the OAL and watching head space. A tapered round nose load can have a much longer OAL than a flat nose bullet load. If you drop a loaded round in a barrel and it hits the rifling before it is completely in the chamber the action will not close on a semi auto. Bullet shape for autos makes a big difference. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DakotaJack, lonwolf93, jertex
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912
Stinger: 3377