Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
740V8S
DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1681
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 18, 2012 - 10:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I recently picked up a nice 740V8S that looks like it hasn't had more than a cylinder through it - just as new as can be.  But one of the most interesting things I saw was a $10 rebate coupon for a replacement barrel stapled in the manual.  Anyone seen one before? Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Moved to Large Frame/Supermag-Steve

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5292
August 19, 2012 - 10:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven't seen one before but I don't pay attention to the owners manuals.  Now I have something to do this afternoon; thanks.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
August 19, 2012 - 10:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is the first I've seen of this, pretty interesting & I have a theory.

The theory is...when the model 40 was first introduced, right outta the chute there was considerable concern about premature forcing cone erosion due to the added heat generated from the new Maxi .357 ammo. As a precaution to a possible tidal wave of warranty issues from this, DW automatically shipped an extra barrel with each model 40 produced.

A few years later, they realized that many (probably most) of these extra barrels weren't being used & that they could probably discontinue the extra barrels without much blowback & be able to save X-amout of money in the process. The rebate coupon was probably used through this time. And the time I'm thinking of is the latter part of the Monson years, which also makes me guess that your 740 is maybe a '87-'88 gun? Probably with a "SE" s/n?

Now watch, I'm completely off my mark & it's got a "357M" s/n...lol2

Oh, and congrats on landing such a clean example, it looks like a beauty!occasion

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1681
August 20, 2012 - 12:17 pm

Good theory - makes a lot of sense!  But there's one catch.....this one came with both the extra barrel AND the rebate!!  mad  And yep, you nailed it - it's an SE s/n gun!!

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
August 24, 2012 - 9:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, at least I was half right. There's a joke about a non-working clock being right twice a day, that's true for me too...sorta.  It's not usually even that often for me.lol2

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
September 5, 2012 - 3:53 am

Nice try CF, but you know what they say...close, but no cigar.big-grin

I bought my 740-V8S in Dec. 1986. The mid 1980's was the peak of IHMSA competition. Prior to the handgun silhouette game, most magnum handgun shooters would, maybe, put a couple boxes a year through the guns. Well, serious steel shooters would run several thousand full-power rounds through theirs in a MONTH. It was easy to wear one out in a year or so. Dan Wesson added a second barrel with each SuperMag purchase, PLUS a rebate coupon. Mine came with both.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
September 5, 2012 - 10:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
September 7, 2012 - 9:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So much for my theory.lol2 Thanks for the helpful info, Dean.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
September 7, 2012 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just goes to show how much DW wanted to support it's specialty core of IHMSA shooters, which pays big dividends 25+ years later with such great guns still going strong.

"You need never be without your Dan Wesson SuperMag" really tells the whole story about these guns.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
November 24, 2012 - 11:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beautiful pistol. Those pistols with the slotted shrouds were designed for competition shooters in mine to make it light enough to be used in the silhouette completions. That was an expensive sport in the 80's. Can  you imagine how much they spent on a couple of 1000 rounds a month? I'm sure they could go through a few barrels. They were a lot cheaper back then. Here is one of my favorite pics: I bet he burned up a few barrels.laugh

Image Enlarger

tunaman
Members
Forum Posts: 48
November 24, 2012 - 12:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow - what a beauty! Makes me envious with DWAS! dwasworship

Roger

Dantanna58
North Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 220
November 25, 2012 - 4:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your right on target IHMSAox8. DW and Thompson Center were the only ones chambering their guns in .357 Max etc. They would flat wear out some barrel's. I wore out 2 model 29 S&W's shooting IHMSA before I switched to DW's. And I just shot 44 mags. Ruger dropped their Supermag gun because of the forcing cone issue. Any competition shooting is expensive if you don't have a sponsor. Guys like myself who shot out of their own pocket spent a small fortune on reloading. But any true sport is expensive. I know guy's who spend 10's of thousands on just fishing equipment. Boats, motors, rods, reel's, travel expense etc.  

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
December 5, 2012 - 5:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silhouette is a handloader's game. Revolvers were actually less expensive to reload for, as most of the single-shot guys used Matchkings. The 740-V8S was my first Dan Wesson and first gun for the Revolver category. I shot the first ever 40x40 with a Revolver in the state of Kentucky back in 1988 with that gun.

The Savantist

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: MagnumBoomer
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914