Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
45 colt and the 460 Rowland
SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 13, 2016 - 12:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was doing some winter cleaning and for the neck of it I dropped a 45 colt cartridge into a 7460 and to my surprise, it chambered.  For those who have one, have you ever shot a 45 colt from a 460? I doubt it would hurt anything as the cylinders are the same bore and dimension other than changer throat and both bullet diameters are the same.  Just wondering for those who may know.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Maxwell 'Arlen' Silver

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 489
January 13, 2016 - 1:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
I was doing some winter cleaning and for the neck of it I dropped a 45 colt cartridge into a 7460 and to my surprise, it chambered.  For those who have one, have you ever shot a 45 colt from a 460? I doubt it would hurt anything as the cylinders are the same bore and dimension other than changer throat and both bullet diameters are the same.  Just wondering for those who may know.

Apparently...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_S%26W_Magnum

Endeavor to persevere,
Press on regardless.
Need little, want less, love more.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 13, 2016 - 5:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
I was doing some winter cleaning and for the neck of it I dropped a 45 colt cartridge into a 7460

Chris- Not for Nuthin, but your winter cleaning is WAY different than mine confusedlaughsurprisedwinkbig-grinlol2roflwow

Actually, no purpose to this reply except to say Hi and drop a bunch of smilies screwy

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

pops2
beavercreek,oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 811
January 13, 2016 - 6:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

chris I tried that too and went as far as shooting some. You should try some 45 win mags they are as hot as any 44 mag rounds I held one of each over xmas and touched off both at the same time  the felt recoil was as equal and both had 4" barrels. Im not sure I like the moon clips yet. good daycool

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 13, 2016 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pops, I was just loading some .45 Win Mag this afternoon.  I like its performance in the 460 Rowland, but you are right, the moon clips are a bit of a pain.  I've also shot .45 Auto Rim in this gun and they work well and no moon clips.  That is the main reason I thought about dropping a 45 Colt in the cylinder just to see if it fit and it did.  Since its .45 cal with same bullets as the Rowland, Win mag and Auto rim, I would think the gun should handle the cartridge fine.  Besides, its the same gun as the DW .45 Colt, only chamber is a bit longer on the Colt I think.  

Pops, how did your gun handle the Colt rounds?  

My father

My grandfather

pops2
beavercreek,oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 811
January 14, 2016 - 1:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It handled just fine, I've tried others and had some issues with different brands not going all the way in seems like some of the cases are a bit to long. I wonder why DW never chambered their guns for the 454 casuell?occasion

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3909
January 14, 2016 - 8:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have found that 45 win mag cases are a bear to remove from the moon clips without bending them. If you are going to use them I recommend a new moon clip each time. Small expense for someone who can afford or FIND 45 win mag. I have also found accuracy with 45 win mag and 460 Rowland to be fine but 45 acp is poor. A real shame because it is half the price and like shooting 38's in a 357. 

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 14, 2016 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maxwell 'Arlen' Silver said

SCORPIO said

Apparently...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_S%26W_Magnum

The link refers to the S&W 460 which is a different caliber entirely from the 460 Rowland that the 460/7460 is chambered for. But I think you are right, the 45 Colt seems to fit fine in the 7460.  On a side note, the cartridge overall length of the .45 Win Mag is almost exactly that of a 45 Colt so I see no issues with it.  It also has the benefit of chambering without the use of moon clips.

Ole Dog said
I have found that 45 win mag cases are a bear to remove from the moon clips without bending them. If you are going to use them I recommend a new moon clip each time. Small expense for someone who can afford or FIND 45 win mag. I have also found accuracy with 45 win mag and 460 Rowland to be fine but 45 acp is poor. A real shame because it is half the price and like shooting 38's in a 357. 

Not sure what you mean about being able to find 45 Win Mag, I loaded my own with Starline brass and had no issues with it going into or out of the moon clips.  I read somewhere about some brass, not sure which brand, requiring you to file open the moon clips a bit.  So far, the Starline has no issues.  I got it at a local gun show recently.  I usually keep my eyes open for odd ball calibers when I'm at the shows, it can many times be had cheaper than common brass since the guy has to drag it around a lot longer.  I've made good deals on 460 Rowland, 45 Win Mag, 32 H&R and 45 Auto Rim.  Once in a great while I come across some 445 SM and can usually talk the guy down a bit.  

I hope to get to the range next week, I will let every one know how these rounds perform.

My father

My grandfather

El Hombre
Kentucky
Members
Forum Posts: 54
January 14, 2016 - 7:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said

I made a moon clip tool from a piece of 1/2 pvc water pipe that works perfectly for the 45 win mag. Quick & easy loading & unloading, & no bent clips.

El Hombre
Kentucky
Members
January 14, 2016 - 7:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

pops2 said
It handled just fine, I've tried others and had some issues with different brands not going all the way in seems like some of the cases are a bit to long. I wonder why DW never chambered their guns for the 454 casuell?occasion

From the old Dan Wesson website:

in .454 Casull?
We have no plans to produce a revolver in .454 Casull. All the feedback we get is they are being traded back in as fast as they are being sold, and even some in the firearms media are saying that there is simply too much recoil from the cartridge for the physiology of the human hand and wrist to endure (especially over years of repeated firing). How accurate can you be when you are flinching before each shot because you know its going to kick like a mule and hurt like...well, you get the picture. You might want to check out the article ".454 Casulls: Too Much Power, Too Little Real-World Utility" in the February 2000 issue of Gun Tests.
Our .445 SuperMag outperforms the .454 Casulls in the following ways:
1. Our .445 SuperMag delivers more accuracy (none of the Casulls have the Dan Wesson system of anchoring the barrel front and rear and keeping it under constant tension to prevent barrel whip during firing);
2. Our .445 SuperMag delivers more down range energy (the same weight bullet in .44 caliber is longer and more slender that a .45 caliber, and therefore has a better ballistic coefficient, and therefore retains more energy. We don't put muzzle velocity (the testosterone factor, or what I refer to as the horse getting out of the gate) at the top of the list of factors that determine whether or not a revolver and cartridge will accomplish the desired results these guns are supposed to be designed for--in the case of big bores, knocking down a big steel ram at 200 meters or a big bull elk at 200 yards (the intelligence factor, or what I refer to as the horse finishing the race--first!);
3. Our .445 SuperMag delivers all that in a revolver that was designed to eliminate and/or isolate the shooter from as much of the negative forces (equal and opposite reactions) of recoil and muzzle climb as is physically possible (check out our compensator system--reduces both negative forces by as much as 61% with absolutely no reduction in velocity or accuracy--all the power and performance with a lot less punishment!), thereby delivering the above-mentioned performance in a revolver that is much more pleasurable to shoot.
Check out the load data for the .445 SuperMag on our website (300gr @ 1575 ft/sec with CUP @ 44,300 w/ 30gr of H108--that's enough to take down any whitetail, muley, grizzly, bull elk or steel ram @ 200 meters, don't you think?).

Steve

Dans Club
January 14, 2016 - 7:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

El Hombre said

pops2 said

From the old Dan Wesson website:

in .454 Casull?

Please post a link to this information

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

El Hombre
Kentucky
Members
January 14, 2016 - 8:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Steve said

Please post a link to this information

Like I said, it's from the old pre CZ-USA website. 

You can view bits and pieces of it by use of the Internet Wayback Machine, but there are a lot of broken links, and it's fairly cumbersome, but there is some good info there.

I think this link will take you to that particular page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030718134932/http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/

Well, for some reason it is not taking you to the correct page. Click on FAQ on the left. Then click on "Ammo, Brass, Loads"

There is also loading data if you dig around.

360 Dan Wesson, 357 Supermag, 414 Supermag & 445 Supermag

Edited: I have copied the reloading data into the Reloading Section of the Forum.

Good Stuff!

Steve

Dans Club
January 14, 2016 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Carlin

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye, KurtB, Stmstan 445
Guest(s) 41
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3909