Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1981 Shooting Times Article - The Model 44
Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 4, 2009 - 8:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Image Enlarger

I have scanned the March 1981 issue of the Shooting Times.  This issue featured the new Dan Wesson Model 44!  Here are a few facts I found interesting:

• Shipments of the Model 44 began in December 1980.
  • The model 44 featured a one piece frame with no side plate.  This was different than the previous small frame Dan Wesson revolvers which have a side plate.
  • The 44 featured Dan Wesson's new Power Control recoil reduction system.  This system utilized a barrel with 8 small hole drilled in 3/4″ from the muzzle and 2 small slots in the top of the shroud.  It was recommend that only jacketed bullets be used in PC barrels since lead bullets could make the shroud more difficult to remove.
  • It was recommended to remove the barrel and shrould after 250 rounds for a cleaning.
  • The 44 Pistol Pac's were first issued with only 6″ and 8″ PC barrels and shroud.  4″ and 10″ PC barrels and shroud could also be ordered along with regular barrels.
Here is a link to the PDF.

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3241
March 4, 2009 - 9:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great facts Jody.  I found the PC option interesting.  I never knew the how or why about this subject before.  Thanks,

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
March 4, 2009 - 10:06 am

Same here, it's interesting to know why leaded bullets were not recommended on the PC barrels. That also explains why some folks have bought used DW's with ported shrouds, and discovered that they have non-ported barrels inside. Obviously the original owner wanted to shoot lead bullets.Wink

One thing I've noticed with these articles is that the later the articles are written, the more enthusiastic the authors are with DW's in general. The early articles had some skeptical thoughts portayed, these later ones seem to be “nuttin' but love, baby!”Cool 

Well, except for that last part where he's talking about having to readjust the sights after each barrel removal.

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
March 4, 2009 - 11:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the interesting article Jody.  Personally I try to never use any un-jacketed bullets in any of my guns.  I really hate cleaning lead out of barrels. I have an unported barrel for my .44 and periodically use it so that I don't have t disassemble the barrel every time I clean it, which is something I do religiously after every use.  However, this is my wife's favorite gun and she'll comment that it seems to be recoiling more which means "put the ported barrel back in it you krink". So I do.

I have never experienced the moisture mentioned in the article between the barrel and the shroud, but the burned powder that gets in there is a pain to clean out.  Its even worse trying to get the residue off of the barrel.  I've found that a bore brush for a shotgun (I don't remember for certain, but I believe it's 16 ga.) works magic on the inside of the shroud. I've also found that rather than use a bronze brush for 20 minutes to remove the residue from the outside of the barrel, I spend 2 or 3 minutes with a diamond-dust-encrusted nail file.  Works great and does no damage.

Laugh if you will, but it really works.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
March 4, 2009 - 12:14 pm

I wonder how the lead removal clothes would work?  Since I don't have any of the ported barrels guess I don't have to worry about it. Cool

I would be interested in seeing what the newer ported barrels look like.  If anyone has a picture please share…

Thanks,

Jody

zoommb

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
March 4, 2009 - 1:24 pm

Lead removal (Lead Away) cloths work but its still a pain IMHO.

Here's a pic of the new style ported barrel assembly:

As you can see, the barrel itself is not ported.  The shroud is just 1.5 inches longer. The barrel nut is recessed into the shroud requiring a special tool for removal/tightening and there is the compensator chamber with a knurled finish nut at the front.  This way, those who are not as meticulous when they clean will not have the barrel binding to the shroud as in the old set-up.  However, they could gum up the barrel nut enough to make removal difficult. Cry

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
March 4, 2009 - 1:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for posting the picture Mike.  I didn't realize that's how the new system worked... Very interesting.  I think I may have to get one of those for my brushed blued 445.

zoommb

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
March 5, 2009 - 3:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jody:

The more I think of it, the more I think I like the original system is better.  I'm not an engineer, but I think the old system would be more accurate.

The old system uses 8 holes evenly spaced around the barrel. Gasses escape into a plenum machined into the shroud and surrounding the barrel and eventually venting out of the top of the shroud.

In the new system, the instant that bullet starts to move it is sending the air in front of it into that compensator.  Now the interior of the compensator is 1.125 inches long and 3/4 of an inch in diameter (.32 inches larger than the bullet diameter).  The chamber has an exit hole of .43 inches and three vent-slots in the top.

Now the air traveling through there has to (IMHO) create turbulence which the bullet will encounter when it gets there and then the gasses behind the bullet will also be venting through those same holes creating more turbulence.  Personally I don't see how that bullet can not get upset by those conditions.  Yes, I know that the bullet is traveling very fast.  I did say I'm not an engineer.

Then there's the appearance.  It looks pretty good on a blue gun because the displacement of the front sight to a position behind the top vents is not quite as obvious as it is on a stainless gun, but on stainless the appearance leaves a little to be desired.  JMO.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: GED1591
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300