Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1975 Shooting Times Article by Skeeter Skelton
Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 20, 2009 - 1:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Here is the first article from the magazines I won off of eBay a couple of weeks ago.  The article is from the February 1975 issue of the Shooting Times.  The name of the article is 'Two New Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Revolvers' by Skeeter Skelton.

In reading this article I felt the following was worth mentioning:

1. The Pistol Pac case did not have the cloth lining at this time.  I believe we have discussed this in previous threads as well.
  2. Only 3 barrel lenghts were offered at the time (2 1/2, 3 3/4, and 5 3/4).  
  3. The model 14 was available in a satin blue finish while the model 15 was available in a bright blue finish.  As an option both guns could be ordered with a nickel finish.
  4. By 1975 the barrel nut was change from the external nut to the nut that recesses into the shroud.
  5. Pre 1975 grips were all walnut.  Powerwood was introduced around the time of this article was published.
  6. The rear sights were slightly modified from the earlier models but still resemble them.  At this time the sights were made for DW by High Standard.  Adjustment value of 3/8 inch per click at 25 yards.
  7. The original revolvers had extremely thin extractor rods which has been changed in the new guns.  The extractor rod now has a generous flange at the tip.  The chamber dimensions where also change to insure easy extraction.
  8. By the time the article was published in February 1975 the pork chop shroud would be replaced by the newer straight shroud.
I hope you find this article as interesting as I did.  I have about 10 more articles to scan for you guys and to give you an idea of the content here's a couple of article titles for you:
  1. March 1987 - Dan Wesson's Goliath .375
  2. August 1987 - Dan Wesson's New Hunter Pac
  3. March 1981 - Dan Wesson's Amazing 44 Magnum Revolver
  4. January 1980 - Dan Wesson's New Model 22
  5. January 1983 - Dan Wesson's First Stainless
  6. January 1984 - Skeeter Test the new Dan Wesson 357 SuperMag
Look for these and more in the near future!

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
February 20, 2009 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great article Jody & some more excellent history on the evolution of the 14 & 15.

I really like reading Skeeter's column's with all his deep Southwestern stories and references.

You could order factory nickel...& Powerwood "stocks" - guess they weren't grips back then...

Can't wait for the others.  There's history right in the titles: "January 1983 - Dan Wesson's first Stainless".  Another milestone identified!  It will be interesting to read the article and see if we can ascertain exactly when that first SS hit the market.

Treasure Jody!  Thanks for the dedicated work!!

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
February 20, 2009 - 4:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice find Jody! I remember a Dan Wesson article in ST by Dick Metcalf, I believe,about a prototype DW in 7-30 Waters. I've looked high and low for that article and can't find it. No one believes me when I tell them they made one. It sure would be nice if that article showed up some day.

The Savantist

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3243
February 20, 2009 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jody,

Glad you won those magazines.  I saw them on auction and thought what a collection.  Now they are shared with all!

SMF

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Ole Dog, 605Dart
Guest(s) 49
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300