Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
While I wait
ammac
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 14, 2010 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've ordered my first DW 1911, but it will take up to 6 weeks to arrive.  I've been reading serveral posts about functionality of various DW 1911's.  I ordered a Valor and can't wait to take delivery and fire the first shot. 

While I wait, I'd like to buy some accessories... holster, oils, cleaning solutions, extra mags, etc.  From reading several posts, it sounds like DW's are particular on what is used to clean them.  Any advice on which oils work best, mags that fit and feed seemlessly and different holsters I should consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the advice.

occasion

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 14, 2010 - 10:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If your Valor is factory new it should include suggestions from DW on lube.

For magazines, I always use Chip McCormack's, if you want to spend more go for Wilson Combat.

Holsters? Too many choices to relate, I like DeSantis and Bianchi, but first pick IWB or OWB, retention style (if you carry cocked and locked do you want a thumb break or friction style?). Your first holster choice is rarely your last, it's a learning process.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

ammac
Members
Forum Posts: 5
April 15, 2010 - 9:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the feedback.  I am familiar with Wilson's magazines, but if I can save a few bucks on McCormack's, its worth a try.  Is the factory supplied magazine good quality?

As for holsters, this is not a C&C purchase, so IWB is not an option.  Do they make a serpa to fit the Valor?

So much time to wait and ponder what its going to be like.... Mini GunUzi. I feel like an 8 year old in December!!

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
Forum Posts: 47
April 25, 2010 - 10:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was able to purchase a 2010 CBOB new in box. After getting it shipped to my local dealer and getting it home, I cleaned and began to test it out. After just a couple shots, the slide jammed up and would not move. It went back t the factory and they had it fixed and returned to me in only 11 days from the day they received it for repair. And that was also having the ambi safety installed as well.

Keith at Dan Wesson told me never to use the light oil on the slide. With the tolerances so tight between the slide and frame, it requires a heavier oil then Rem Oil or Hoppes. Dan Wesson sent me a sample of the oil they are trying out, but Keith says I should use the FP-10 oil instead of the lighter oils on the market. I purchased two bottles of the FP-10, and the gun works just fine now.

Hope this helps you out.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Ole Dog
Guest(s) 51
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3910