Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
V-bob doesn't lock back
raganzel
Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 7, 2021 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the 1911 world, but have many years hunting and shooting as a youngster (72 years old now). The year 2020 brought me to the decision to arm myself for many various reasons. I've always been intrigued by the 1911 as my high school friend's father was a police officer and he had access to a 1911 which we shot back then.

After many hours of youtube viewing looking at revolvers, striker fired pistols, and 1911's, I decided on a 1911. Then many more hours viewing 1911 videos to make a decision on which manufacturer and model to purchase. I decided on a Dan Wesson 9mm v-bob with the thought my small wife could handle 9mm easier than 45 acp if she needed to use it.

I purchased a duty finished, NIB 2017 from gunbroker.com. I ran 400 rounds of ammo in three shooting sessions with no problems what so ever. Then I decided to purchase a couple more magazines for it and knowing that Checkmate made DW's magazines I purchased a couple extra Checkmate's and went out for another round of shooting to see how they worked. After emptying the magazine (it wasn't full capacity because of the stiff springs), the gun failed to lock back. I put in a stock DW mag, and it did the same thing. I tried the other DW mag with the same issue. I've broken down and cleaned the gun after every use and am running it wet.

2 months have gone by since my last time out and today I went to the range with my CC instructor to take the shooting test. It failed to lock back twice using the stock DW mags, then locked back on the next round. After that another fail, then another normal lock back, then another fail.

Anyone have experience with this, and if so would this be an easy fix? 

Looking forward for your input, thanks.

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 981
January 7, 2021 - 6:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi

Welcome to the DW Forum. My Vbob is one of my favorites to shoot and I never had a failure to lock back with it, it is a 45acp tho. Do you have a different brand of mag you can use? Sometimes you can tweak the follower a little or if you can borrow a few different makes from fellow shooters this can help sort out if it is a mag or slide stop issue. Different manufactures have different follower profiles and maybe a different style will have more engagement on your slide stop.  I know Keith likes the Metalform magazines, I thought they were using them since 2015 or so?

raganzel
Members
January 8, 2021 - 4:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Dart! I don't know who Keith is, but if DW has been using Metalform mag's since 2015, then I purchased the wrong mag's. But now I have the lock-back problem which started after shooting one mag worth of ammo through this Checkmate mag. Now it does it intermittently with the stock mags.

I'm not sure what or how I'd be tweeking on the follower (I had to look it up to see what you were referring to). Bending it a little, or stretching the spring?

I love shooting my Vbob too. It's so accurate (I was getting 5" groups at 50')! I'm also happy I chose a 1911 for my carry gun. It works so well for me. I just purchase a leather pancake owb holster and have a leather aiwa on the way. 

Hopefully I can get my CC permit before the incoming administration takes over.

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
January 8, 2021 - 5:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Put up a pic of your follower on the Checkmate. Keith is the VP of DW. That thing will shoot just a ragged hole but most of us could never shoot the pistol's potential. Keep practicing you'll get it to that point if the ammo don't run ya broke LOL!!!!

raganzel
Members
605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
January 8, 2021 - 10:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like it was just barely hitting on the front edge of the follower but it looks like there is a little notch in the follower in front of it. Maybe look for one that has a full radius without that notch and that would give more contact area. I will check my 9mm mags tomorrow and let you know what their profile looks like. If it is new you can call DW and tell them about it they may issue a call tag if they think it is non mag related i.e. fit new slide stop or mag release. Just FYI as their move to KC has slowed response and turnaround times.

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
January 9, 2021 - 10:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here are two of mine, both factory DW. Followers are different than yours. See if you can borrow someone's that looks like this follower maybe it will make the difference with locking back.1-9-010.jpgImage Enlarger

1-9-011.jpgImage Enlarger
1-9-012.jpgImage Enlarger

raganzel
Members
January 11, 2021 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Dart!

Here's my mags. The one on the left is what came with the V-bob and the one on the right is the Checkmate. It's obvious the mag that came with the pistol isn't a Checkmate. It looks more like the one you have.

I hope Keith see's this post and informs me what mag company I can purchase extra mags from.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!20210111-P1111734.jpgImage Enlarger

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
January 11, 2021 - 9:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm almost 100% sure my two are Metalforms. Metalform's don't have the pinch welds along the back of the mag that holds the spacer in. I've only had one  problem with mine since you can get a little lateral movement in them. And if there was a little extra meat taken off the slide stop when fitted and the follower shifts a little towards the ejection port side it could miss the lug on the SS. I put a flat blade screwdriver between the high and low spots in the split area of the follower and twisted the blade slightly to open the split slightly. This will help get the part that pushes up the SS closer to that side of the magazine helping with the engagement on the lug. A little adjustment at a time or you will have binding issues with the follower, it doesn't take much.

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
January 11, 2021 - 9:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you can get the follower out of the mag on the right and slightly compress the follower to make less of an angle it will allow the follower to rise higher in the mag which will let the follower base to rise higher in turn will push up more on the SS and help to lock back. You probably won't be able to do it with just your fingers unless you have strong hands, a pair of pliers is usually enough. Just do a little bending at a time it doesn't take much to make a difference.  These type of followers usually don't have lateral movement so I would assume it isn't rising up high enough to fully push up the SS. If neither remedy works it could be that to much material was removed from the SS when it was fitted in which case you would need another one fitted or keep trying different mags until you find ones that work all the time.

RedStat
Members
Forum Posts: 10
January 20, 2021 - 6:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are looking for replacement magazines, I found good 9mm mags for my Vigil Commander on Brownells. I purchased 10 rd mags where the stock mag was only 9 rounds. I have since purchased a DW Valor Commander Limited and it came with 10 round mags. The Brownell mags work flawlessly in it as well. 

Johnnie Boy
Members
Forum Posts: 1
April 30, 2021 - 1:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I recently purchased a DW Guardian in 38 Super. The slide would not lock back on the DW magazines that came with the pistol. I tried Ed Brown and Wilson Combat, and they would not lock back either. Chip McCormick magazines did work. I notice that the slide lock had been buffed and rounded on the end that engages the follower, and I read in a review that Ed Brown supplied the slide stops for Dan Wesson. I ordered an Ed Brown slide stop, and now the DW and Ed Brown magazines lock back after the last round is fired, One of the Wilson Combat magazines works, but the other doesn't work and the slide stop catches on the follower after the last round is fired. The Chip McCormick mags still work.

I know I could have sent the gun back on warranty, but I hate to send it back unless I really have to.

I like my gun and how it shoots. I've fired about 300 rounds with no failures, and the Corbon 110 gr hollow points function perfectly.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: LeonardC, lonwolf93
Guest(s) 19
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377