Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Silverback 10mm --24 hour couch review
SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 22, 2016 - 10:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So after playing with my new Silverback on the couch for 24 hours, here's some initial observations....

Fit-- TIGHT fit !!!  Really tight...  I now see why so many go back to DW with the slide seized up.  I'll be sure to run it soaking wet for several hundred rounds.  They sent a little bottle of unknown oil in the case.  I'll use it till its gone which won't take long running wet.

Trigger -- not impressed.  Granted I do trigger jobs on all my other 1911's so they are light and crisp, but this one isn't even close.  Maybe it will get better with use, but I see a teardown coming this winter... And from a looks standpoint, I wish the trigger was solid instead of the punisher skeleton.

Finish -- Awesome, what else can I say.  The slide is basically a mirror polish, and I see scratches coming very easily in the future.  The black finish is smooth and clean.  I do wish the serial number stamp was a little smaller, lighter.  It is big, bold, and deep.  No need for reading glasses.

Grips -- I wish DW had stuck some on there with a DW logo--I like the classic rosewood.  Although the grips appear dark, there is an amount of green/grey in them that just doesn't blend well.  However, the more I stare at the gun the more I realized grips are going to be an issue for an "Artistic" guy...  With the dual tone gun it will be hard to find a set of grips that compliment both colors well.  Black pearl with silver inlay (too pimp), All black--maybe, How about a set of all silver Alumagrips -- as an accent to the silver slide?

Front/back grip checkering -- sharp and nicely done -- serious grip

All in all -- a very nicely finished gun.  Would I spend $1800 on one -- probably not (I'm not rich), is it worth $1800--I'd say so.  Is it any nicer than my $1400 RZ-10.... I don't know...

SHOOT

silverbackImage Enlarger

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
November 22, 2016 - 12:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The oil is FP 10, Miltec is also approved.  Both are heavier viscosity than Hoppes or Remoil.  The VZ grips are hard on the hands but very positive for gripability. 

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
November 22, 2016 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I think I already solved the grip issue.  Basic black it is...  I had a set of Plain black Magpulls on the shelf and they seem to fit the bill nicely.  Sorry for the crappy pic...

I tore it down and lubed everything in sight with the supplied oil ( it was pretty dry inside).  It racks smoother already, and the trigger pull is noticeably lighter already with just a drop of oil on the hammer/sear area.

Image Enlarger

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
November 23, 2016 - 5:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Success 🙂  Ran the first 50 rounds through the Silverback with zero issues.  I was at the 7 yard range and it grouped great, but 2" high and to the left...  I'll get that fixed next trip.  

Time to take her back down and clean and lube...

SHOOT

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
November 23, 2016 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now that you have the time on your hands.  Maybe an average Joe for the 1911's!  

I like the looks of the 2 tone!  Great report Shoot!  

DSCN1339.jpg

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
November 25, 2016 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave_Ks said
Now that you have the time on your hands.  Maybe an average Joe for the 1911's!  

I like the looks of the 2 tone!  Great report Shoot!    

I'm not sure turning guys loose on 1911 internals is an "Average Joe" idea...  Slightly more complex and detailed.  You don't do a 1911 right and you'll have safety issues...:(

The black grips look great in person--I ran another 50 rounds through the Silverback today with no issues.  I just ordered 1500 polymer coated bullets in 165 grain.  Going to run them through the 10mm's for range use.  Should be around 1000 FPS with load I have planned.

SHOOT

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
November 25, 2016 - 5:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are many 1911 tutorials online. Tuning and cleaning up a 1911 is a vastly different proposition that working on a Dan Wesson revolver. And often most of the smoothing and fitting on a quality 1911 involves SHOOTING THAT SUM BITCH!

And Brownells has some great Great Catalogs

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
November 25, 2016 - 9:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So here's a review update -- So far for standard outdoor range use I do not like the Tritium sights.  With the sun on them they not only produce some "glare", they make the sights hard to line up.  The standard black target sights on the RZ-10 are better suited for me outside at the range.  Something to think about if you are going to order a new DW.

The Silverback however is shooting flawlessly-- not a single failure even with some light 1000 FPS target ammo I loaded.  Accuracy is everything you'd expect from a quality semi-auto.  I've got over 100 rounds through it so far for break-in.  DW must have done their math right--it looks like I'll run out of supplied oil around the time it will be broken in.  

SHOOT

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
November 25, 2016 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SHOOTIST357 said
So here's a review update -- So far for standard outdoor range use I do not like the Tritium sights.  With the sun on them they not only produce some "glare", they make the sights hard to line up.  The standard black target sights on the RZ-10 are better suited for me outside at the range.  Something to think about if you are going to order a new DW.

The Silverback however is shooting flawlessly-- not a single failure even with some light 1000 FPS target ammo I loaded.  Accuracy is everything you'd expect from a quality semi-auto.  I've got over 100 rounds through it so far for break-in.  DW must have done their math right--it looks like I'll run out of supplied oil around the time it will be broken in.  

SHOOT  

There are a few websites where I see DW 1911 "seizures", they are almost always created by owners that don't follow the factory break in instructions and use the supplied lube.

In every instance that I see, DW fixes the problem, even when some moron who thought he was smarter than the maker did something stupid.

Save Us From Stupid!

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
November 29, 2016 - 11:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I think I found a real plus to the Silverback... Whatever the black coating on the frame is--it's tough - From a slide rail perspective anyway.  I still have zero noticeable marks on the black coated frame where they engage the slide rails.  This coating in itself prevents any galling of the stainless surfaces.  How long this coating will hold up to repeated use only time will tell.  But, from a "Break-in" perspective I think the coating is a serious benefit.

SHOOT

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
February 10, 2017 - 4:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Follow-up to my last post -- All I can say is the black coating is AWESOME !!!  I'd highly recommend it on any DW you are considering buying.  It has not scratched at all and is really slick and easy to clean.

I've got a couple hundred rounds through it, and not a single mark in the coating, even on the slide rails.

SHOOT

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3909