Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pointman 1911 Major/Minor
Mars
Members
Forum Posts: 67
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 16, 2009 - 2:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey guys.

Does anybody have one of these?  I found these links in the photos thread, and I'm in the market for a 'budget' 1911...and these sure do seem hard to beat at less than $600.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=1255&Category_Code=

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=1386&Category_Code=

Does anyone have one?  What is the fit and finish like?  Do they cycle reliably?  What is the big difference between the two pistols you think?  Target sights vs. low profile sights?  Anything else? I wonder how tight they are compared to the $800+ DW 1911's out there.  (Ok...that's enough questions!)

Is it worth it to save up the extra coin to afford that CBOB of my dreams?  Drool  Or will one of these do the trick for less money for general target duty.

occasion

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
June 16, 2009 - 2:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, those are the cheapest new DW 1911's I've seen yet!Surprised

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
June 16, 2009 - 2:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The sights on the first one appear to be non-adjustable tritium sights.  From the pic they look exactly like the tritium sights on my Kimber.  Ask, though, before you buy.  They sure are cheap.  I wonder if there is something wrong that is not evident in the pics.

Buy Now maybe?

GoodLuck

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
June 16, 2009 - 4:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mars-

Take a look here

https://www.danwessonforum.com/?page_id=38

I have a PM1-S, a Pointman 1 Stainless (it's marked Major, an IDPA designation), very similar in appearance to the second link you posted. I always prefer adjustable sights, mine is an early enough version that it accepts DW interchangeable front sights.

Image Enlarger

My thoughts on this pistol, as posted here and elsewhere are:

The most accurate centerfire pistol I've ever shot

An action that locks up like a bank vault

My son is compares it VERY favorably to every other 1911 that he's ever shot (including some Wilsons and Les Baers) not better, but very, very good

The bottom line on mine is that it just punches out the bullseye every time

Good price, buy the Major

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Mars
Members
June 16, 2009 - 4:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I should call them up and see if they have any available.  It seems too good to be true!

Thanks for the good info.

Mars
Members
June 16, 2009 - 4:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would love to have the night sights on the Major though, and it appears that it comes with target sights...I'll see if I can talk to them tomorrow and get the lowdown.

occasion

Steve

Dans Club
June 16, 2009 - 5:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As I said, I prefer adjustable rear sights. If the night sights are important to you, the Minor should be good. If these are NIB they are at very good prices. VERY GOOD

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

zoommb

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
June 16, 2009 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mars:

It appears I was wrong.  I looked at the description here: ../../../?page_id=38

and it says fixed target sights.  No mention of Tritium.

Sorry

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
June 16, 2009 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

One thing to look for is DW put out some blemish guns from time to time at a discount. They function perfect but just have minor hard to find blemishes that don't pass quality control. These units are marked by putting an upside down Y on the serial number. I wouldn't mind having one if the price was right just wouldn't want to be fooled into thinking it was a better deal than it really was. I have no Idea if these are blemish guns I just thought I would throw out this info just in case someone hadn't heard.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

zoommb

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
June 16, 2009 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, Lawrence!  That's something we all should know.  Thanks.occasion

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Mars
Members
June 16, 2009 - 7:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good advice.

Exactly the kind of questions I was planning on asking.  They sure do look like night sights on the standard Pointman, the first link.  And I know some DW's came with them installed.

I'll talk to them tomorrow if I can get ahold of somebody and post up what I find.  Seems like an amazing deal if they really have these in stock.

GoodLuck to me!  lol2

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
June 16, 2009 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it sounds too good to be true...particularly in this "high demand" time we're in...it probably is.

I contacted several vendors with "supposed blemish guns" and great prices (mostly listing on GA) and not one had a gun in stock - it was all bait and switch.

But having said that, good luck - I hope they exist!!  Ya never know...

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
June 16, 2009 - 7:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm looking forward to hearing the results...I'm sorta curious about these, too.GoodLuck

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
June 17, 2009 - 10:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guys, also keep in mind those two DWs are pre-CZ guns and not current manufacture.  So the price should be lower than the newer guns being produced.

I for one was getting sick and tired of 1911's being plastered on the cover of every gun rag.  I was like what is the big deal about a 1911.  Then I started reading post in the Dan Wesson section over on the 1911forum.com.  Those guys are as fanatic about DW 1911's as we are about DW Revolvers.  When I came across a used CBOB I decided to give it a go.

Well I don't know about other 1911's but the DW CBOB just has a feel to it that I can't describe (Quality American Craftsmanship I guess).  I'm by no means a great marksmen with handguns (probably any for that matter) but comparing my targets to the guys in the lanes next to me I was doing very well.  I would say that 90% of that was the CBOB!

I don't have any experience with the two guns mentioned above but I would highly recommend DW 1911's.  I know the new Marksmen is on my short list!

Steve

Dans Club
June 17, 2009 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Carlin

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
June 17, 2009 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup pre-CZ guns.  I wonder if they have an external extractor or a normal one. (note they don't show the right hand side)

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
June 18, 2009 - 5:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I'd actually prefer a pre-CZ gun. No real reason, other than it seems to be a more authentic DW before the buyout. Merely my opinion, though.

Steve

Dans Club
June 18, 2009 - 6:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just checked the FGW website, and they show them as a current item. I'm not even going to call about them because that is a really good price for a even a basice, entry level 1911, which these are not.

If this is the actual price for pistols currently available to ship, I'd do something stupid, and although "Stupid" could be my screen name, I just can't afford it.

George Carlin

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
June 18, 2009 - 6:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger, I really like my CZ / DW CBOB.  Those guys really do fine work...

Now I would like to have a pre-CZ PT-C which is basically the CBOB without the BOB.  

I wonder if FGWs just hasn't updated their site.  I think that's really GTDW prices myself.

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
June 18, 2009 - 7:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm with yall there, I wish I could have found a deal like that before I dropped a grand on my CBOB. I love my CBOB but would have never considered one if I could have gotten a major/minor for almost half the price.

Dusty, the blemish guns do exist because I held a few of them a few months back at a shop in Atlanta, although the guns were tagged at full price. I didn't call the vendors hand on this because at the time I was looking for something else and did not want to muddy the waters.

However the prices listed at FGW do sound to good to be true. I am eager to here the report as soon as someone gets the nerve to call and check. I have the same problem as Steve. All guts no money.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: mister callan, KurtB
Guest(s) 11
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377