Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pines Range and weather report
Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 29, 2011 - 7:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Just so you snow bound folks know it aint all "sun and fun" down here either… It took me 2 hours and a lot or hard earned SWEAT in my tee shirts and shorts to get all those leaves off the front lawn. Damn 70 degree weather!! Oh wait.. 70 degrees with a nice breeze perfect shootng weather.. Pine headed to the range to try out his new pretty. 

So trying out my Pointman 7 in SS, sporting a new pair of houge wrap-around rubbe grips. The reason for the grips was that the have a bad crack in one, I didn't want to risk complete breakage. I left the two orgininal DW mags at the house… no need to wera them out when I have 6 others 3 non-name and 3 brand new Wilson combat. The range I went to, is the only public range in the state, and with the pretty weather, the place was pretty packed. What this means is that we shoot at the same distance.. and generally thats pretty close ( either 5 yards or 10 yards). 

First shot earned me ther bloody thumb knuckel.. and I really did know not to put my thumb there dernit!! One of the mags would not even take 5 rounds so as far as I am concerned its scrap. The other two worked but not well. The new wilsons.. worked great ( but then they should. 

The .45 APC in my 5" PM7 is rather like shooting a .357 with a 4" standard BA… but the added flying brass.. 2 of which hit me in the head ( I must have done something wrong then). The added "punch" to the knock-plates was VERY evident versus my .38 practice loads. The gun is fun to shoot and I was "working it" like I had shot for along time even though this is the first time I have ever shot a center-fire semi-auto. I love the mags adn the locking barrel and all that jazz. At 15 feet ( 5 yards) shes pretty good, at 30 feet she pretty terrible. When we did move out to the 10 yard mark… I swithced to the trusty ole revolver after just two mags.. I felt I was just wasting ammo. Speaking of which since it was a public range there really isnt an oppurtunity to police up your brass… so there went 50 .45 brass. 

While back there at the 30 yards and runnig the 15-2.. I decided to see how well I could do shooting the 5" knock-downs. What I did was to cock each shot with the left thumb and then fire.. as fast I could, while still making sure I hit the plate. 6 for 6, and to tell the truth just about as fast as the .45 at 15 yards on the 4"  "christmas tree" plates. As for the .45… I was able to swing each of the 4" plates at 15 yards finally. I expect that practice would improve my accurracy and further distances it, but I also expect it wouldnever compete with the 15-2 with even a 6VH.. much less my 8". 

All in all, I have to say the big gun is fun.. but its not the same as shooting my tried and true distance gun. Fun but in a different way I guess. I can see where folks that want lots of bang and flash and only want to shoot from pretty close would like them. And of course they would be a great self defense gun. But the ole revo… is more of a "pleasure" to shoot.. like the difference between a cigerrette and pipe.. I would expect. 

occasion

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 29, 2011 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nice report I like shootin my ruger P90 in 45 it is a bang and i just throw lead 7 or 8 at a time (unless i stuff the 25 round drum mag in ).  I have a few semi autos and enjoy dropping mags and stuffing another.   Though the wheel gun is still always there...  Either in 357, 22 , or 44. 

Weather like that i could live with .. hit 68 in kansas today was 72 yesterday...   heading for the 20's next week.

Lets see that new Dan!

DSCN1339.jpg

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
January 29, 2011 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My little .22 Automag bloodied my knuckle once...it doesn't take more than once to learn that lesson.lol2  Sounds like you had fun. I usually lose about half my brass when I shoot mine, but I'm usually standing by weeds, so they disappear easily. I think I'll lay a tarp on the ground next time.

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
January 30, 2011 - 7:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

My little .22 Automag bloodied my knuckle once...it doesn't take more than once to learn that lesson.lol2  Sounds like you had fun. I usually lose about half my brass when I shoot mine, but I'm usually standing by weeds, so they disappear easily. I think I'll lay a tarp on the ground next time.

I thought about setting up a tent and shoot from it just to catch the brass.  I know the feeling of slide blood only happens once, kinda like the the guy with his thumb or finger laying beside the cylinder of a wheel gun, only once!

DSCN1339.jpg

DrSparky
Aroostook County, ME
Members
Forum Posts: 315
January 30, 2011 - 9:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is -2F as I type this, but it is sunny and will warm up to 16F today!

Hossman
Alabama
Members
Forum Posts: 301
January 30, 2011 - 11:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm in Orlando, Fl today at a national doll convention with my wife.  I'd have more fun watching the grass grow or paint dry but I'm here and collecting "wife points."  The kids are in the pools and it's going to 71F.  I went to the national car auction yesterday.  Saw one that is supposed to bring $600,000.  They will auction off 1700 cars in 4 days.  Thank goodness for my laptop or I'd go crazy.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
January 30, 2011 - 1:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hossman said:

I'm in Orlando, Fl today at a national doll convention with my wife.  I'd have more fun watching the grass grow or paint dry but I'm here and collecting "wife points."  The kids are in the pools and it's going to 71F.  I went to the national car auction yesterday.  Saw one that is supposed to bring $600,000.  They will auction off 1700 cars in 4 days.  Thank goodness for my laptop or I'd go crazy.

Man, if that's not taking one for the team, I don't know what is.lol2 Good for you though, I'm sure you're scoring major brownie points.Wink

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
January 30, 2011 - 2:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used to shoot a lot of steel plate in FL -- Guys were in awe that I was just as fast with my ruger blackhawk 357 as I was with the semi 9mm.... practice, practice, practice...

The 357 drops the plate with authority !!!

SHOOT

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye, Tom Hawk
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914