Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Patriot vintage 2002/2003 how do they compare to current 1911s?
SIGWolf
Vermont

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 256
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 20, 2018 - 7:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seems not too many Patriots and pre-CZ DWs are still around or in general circulation. Based on production numbers on this forum, DW produced about 3600 1911s during the three years 2002-2004. I have two of them, 2002 and 2003 both blued.

I’m curious how they compare, fit, finish, parts, accuracy, to the current say Valor. The Valor is the flagship of DW it seems, runs about $1600 street price. The 2002/2003 Patriots were the flagship of DW at that time. They retailed, I believe, for around $995, but could be had for $700 to $800 retail. That translates to about $1000 in inflation dollars now.

Most of the testimonies I read are rav reviews. Guns are tight, dead accurate, shoot and handle well, generally flawless. I did read a review by the now deceased Stephen Camp for a forum on a 2004 PTE-S and he mentioned some issues like a broken mag release first time out, a trigger set screw working loose and some parts he changed like a plastic mainspring housing, which surprised me. I checked my two blued guns and the MSH is definitely metal.

So, I’m curious, just from a parts, build and accuracy perspective, how do they compare with current higher end guns? Were they just good mid-range 1911s?

"Life does not have to be perfect, just lived".

"Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
August 20, 2018 - 7:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I cannot answer that as I have no CZ 1911, just a Pointman Major C from very early. Serial number 170 something. It is my go to the range every time gun. Fabulous trigger. Awesome accuracy, although I am not very proficient. It has a revolver removable front sight and a Millett rear. It is extremely tight and a joy to shoot. Oh, the slide is a gorgeous Barney. 

Interestingly, it is about as accurate and the same trigger as my loose as a goose Ruger 1911 of early vintage. 

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3377
August 20, 2018 - 8:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
I have a Pointman Major C from very early. 

Is that the one you are going to sell to me ?

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 20, 2018 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
I cannot answer that as I have no CZ 1911, just a Pointman Major C from very early. Serial number 170 something. It is my go to the range every time gun. Fabulous trigger. Awesome accuracy, although I am not very proficient. It has a revolver removable front sight and a Millett rear. It is extremely tight and a joy to shoot. Oh, the slide is a gorgeous Barney. 

Interestingly, it is about as accurate and the same trigger as my loose as a goose Ruger 1911 of early vintage.   

And I have a PM1-S (the Major in Stainless) also with the interchangeable (revolver) front sight, which can be a PITA sometimes if you don't keep the setscrew snugged up and  locktited in place. It is easily the most consistently accurate and functioning centerfire pistol I have ever owned or shot.

My impression of DW 1911's over the years is that Pre CZ the 1911's were a specialty item for Dan Wesson, and there may have been extra care and focus on fit, finish, and assembly.

In the CZ era, 1911's are the focus and the cash cow  and a more generic commodity. BUT this is solely my perception and no real data to back it up. Kind of like the General Motors lineup of Chevrolet>Buick/Olds>Cadillac of years past.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
August 21, 2018 - 5:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Regarding Dan Wesson, I only own PM series 1911s (currently).  The one pre-CZ stacks up to current production in all aspects.  No issues with old or newer Point Man guns.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

SIGWolf
Vermont

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 256
August 21, 2018 - 7:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"Life does not have to be perfect, just lived".

"Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 47
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911