Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Mag Issue with DW 1911 Commander Classic
Handgunner00
VA
Members
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 24, 2022 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My DW 1911 was bought new 5 months ago and 830 rounds have been fired thru 5 mags – 2 factory DW mags and 3 newly purchased Wilson Combat mags. Out of the box, this 1911 had problems. Rounds frequently jammed at the feed ramp; a problem solved under warranty by replacing the ejector.  Here’s the second and more persistent issue:  A full 8-round mag will not seat up into a closed slide without extra-extraordinary pressure. I have sent this 1911 back to the factory twice for this problem, and the second time the gunsmith’s repair report stated, “Loaded both magazines [one DW and one Wilson Combat] with 8 rounds with no issues however you are overcoming a compressed spring so it takes quite a bit of force. Test fired good with 230gr FMJ.”

I have obviously failed so far to apply “quite a bit of force” necessary to lock a full mag in place. This is surprising for an expensive 1911 from a manufacturer with a reputation for ultra-refined firearms. I would expect a magazine ammo feeding system to be flawless out of the box for a DW 1911 Commander Classic – my experience with this firearm as proved otherwise. 

I’m reluctant to send this 1911 back to the factory a third time for the same problem only to have the gunsmith with a bionic grip tell me again to apply more force.

Any fellow DW Forum members ever deal with this issue? Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
June 25, 2022 - 5:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What about with 7 rounds loaded in the mag?  If that's much easier, I'd say it's a mag spring/ tension issue as the factory stated.  If it still requires the same effort, maybe there's a bur or something on the mag release.  I only have PMs and just seated a fully loaded mag on the 7-45; no issue but when going slow, you can feel the resistance met just before fully seating.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Handgunner00
VA
Members
June 25, 2022 - 9:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thanks for the response. No problem at all with 7 rounds in the mag. It locks up into the slide without tension. In an effort to reduce the tension in the mag springs, I've kept each loaded with 8 rounds since my initial purchase 5 months ago, but this has had no effect. 

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 977
June 25, 2022 - 8:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It always takes more oomph to seat a fully loaded flush fit 8 rounder as the original spec was for 7 a round mag. The extra almost .5" really compresses the spring, close to coil bind. So it is normal for extra seating pressure. Different mag manufacturers may work better in your pistol. This is not a gun issue but a mag one.

Handgunner00
VA
Members
jaykelley
Members
Forum Posts: 44
July 10, 2022 - 10:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Two thoughts. Leaving the mag full while stored probably won’t make a difference. Modern springs are more sturdy and less likely to take a set than those of yester year.

Second, mags with a capacity more than 7 in 45, and all 9mm, can be problematic. Can be. Obviously not all but the 1911 design is such that the cartridges will be really tight when those mags are loaded to max. Symptoms can be mags hard to seat ( slam harder ), round flying out as mag is slammed into gun with slide back (slammed too hard), and nose dive jams (ugly). All go away if mag is loaded to one less than max. So ... load one less and enjoy.

jaykelley
Members
Forum Posts: 44
July 10, 2022 - 11:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

... plus, as covered in my separate mag jam post below, slamming the mag in HARD with a slide back gun can cause other problems. On some mags you can compress the pad at the bottom and the mag can go up past the locking mechanism and the mag will be high and jam tight as the slide comes forward. That’s a tight jam, not fun at all. Slamming mags in HARD is not a good solution. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 28
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377