Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Ejection problems on New=to=me Pre-CZ 9mm PM-9-S, Pointman S
Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 676
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 8, 2022 - 9:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just picked up my first DW Semi, a PreCZ 9mm PM-9-S.  Today was transfer, and First Shoot.

Every 3-5 rounds the casing fails to eject causing a jam....(pictured).   Also when the last round is fired, the last spent cartridge sometimes remains in the chamber with the slide not back and open.

Was hoping for problem-free operation.   I put 100 rounds through it today.   The problem was consistent.   DW1911-Jam.jpgImage Enlarger

I need some help on this.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5292
July 9, 2022 - 5:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks/ sounds like the extractor may be worn out/ weak: 

"Fieldstrip the pistol and lay all parts aside except for the slide. Turn the slide upside down—sights toward the floor—and insert the rim of a dummy cartridge under the hook of the extractor in a position of similar alignment to that of an extracted cartridge. Reposition the slide so the sights point upward and notice the position of the dummy cartridge under the hook of the extractor.  If the position changes or the cartridge falls to the floor, the extractor should be adjusted or replaced. The extractor should have sufficient tension on the rim of the cartridge to hold it in position until it is pushed out of place."

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 981
July 9, 2022 - 7:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Could be an extractor issue but that looks to be an inertia feed issue. That's where the round is bouncing out of the mag prematurely and gets ahead of the extractor. Change the mag spring or try a different mag first.

Dan Fan
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1214
July 9, 2022 - 8:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Make sure it’s well lubed, mine did that too but not as bad I lubed up the slide pretty wet and it got better with break in now runs great

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
July 9, 2022 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

605Dart said
Could be an extractor issue but that looks to be an inertia feed issue. That's where the round is bouncing out of the mag prematurely and gets ahead of the extractor. Change the mag spring or try a different mag first.

4 mags same issue.

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
July 13, 2022 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

rwsem said
Looks/ sounds like the extractor may be worn out/ weak: 

"Fieldstrip the pistol and lay all parts aside except for the slide. Turn the slide upside down—sights toward the floor—and insert the rim of a dummy cartridge under the hook of the extractor in a position of similar alignment to that of an extracted cartridge. Reposition the slide so the sights point upward and notice the position of the dummy cartridge under the hook of the extractor.  If the position changes or the cartridge falls to the floor, the extractor should be adjusted or replaced. The extractor should have sufficient tension on the rim of the cartridge to hold it in position until it is pushed out of place."

I don't know how to "Fieldstrip" it.    I did clean it and oiled the hell out of it....I had to wipe down twice while shooting yesterday.

Only one jam in 60 rounds.   About 300 rounds through it in the last 6 days.

jaykelley
Members
Forum Posts: 44
July 14, 2022 - 3:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm an experienced user, but not a gunsmith. Having said that, it doesn't appear like an feed problem to me. If the round is chambering and the extractor is not getting hooked around the rim, either early as designed or late by bumping over it, I don't think the slide would go into battery. Could be wrong, but what this looks like to me is an extractor problem. Fairly common actually.

If you can take the gun apart to clean it, you are already "field stripping" it. Get the slide off the frame and the barrel out of the slide. Detail stripping goes further but we aren't talking about that, yet. The extractor is a single piece of metal that comes from the back of the slide by the hammer all the way to the chamber opening. It rests in a tube cut in the slide and is pre-bent to provide tension.

The hook / claw sticks out into the chamber opening ahead of the chamber face. As the slide moves forward the next cartridge slides up with the rim between the hook and the chamber face. The tension from the bent extractor being pushed sideways holds the cartridge in place. After the round is fired, the slide moves back with cartridge case still held against the chamber face until it hits the ejector, which is the small finger like stick on the left side of the frame. That kicks the case sideways out from under the extractor hook or claw. Repeat.

Three common problems with an extractor. Over time the hook can become less effective at holding the cartridge. It gets worn. Takes of lots of rounds to do that but it is possible. Second, it can loose it's tension. Again that is not frequently a problem but it does happen. What happens all the time is that the tube the extractor sits in can become clogged with powder residue and gunk. The hook / claw covers most of the opening to the point you can't really clean it out from the chamber opening, but unburned powder and gasses can easily get in there.

You say it is new - to you. The gun could easily have been sitting, with the tube semi clogged up, for an extended time with the clog getting harder and harder. This can stop the hook from moving back and forth and making proper contact around the rim. Just a little obstruction and it will make contact sometimes and other times not. The round will chamber properly because the chamber faces pushes it home and the hook is to the side, not behind the case. After the round fires there is nothing to pull the case out of the chamber.

Solution is to get the extractor out of the slide and clean it and the hollow tube (see YouTube video on 1911 extractor removal). Use a cotton swab to get all the way down inside that tube until it comes out the other end. If you are nervous about doing this, hold the slide vertical with the back end on the table and put a drop or two of Hoppes #9 on the extractor hook and let it go down around the extractor shaft into the hole. That should loosen up the old hardened gunk and free up the extractor.

I suspect this is happening somewhat right now as you shoot it. It seems to be getting better. Still, I believe it really needs to be cleaned. One tip in that regard, the hook will frequently be bent into the clamber opening enough that it will not go back into the tube in the slide when you try and pull it out from the rear. Hold the slide parallel to the ground with the back end pointed away from you. Take a small flat bladed screw driver, come in from the front of the slide and press the hook to the left and forward - towards the rear of the slide. This will get it into that tube making removal from the rear much easier.

Good luck.    

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 31
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914