Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
ECP Fouling
GAPatriot
Woodstock, GA
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 4, 2023 - 5:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hello, all, I can’t believe I hadn‘t joined earlier but better late than never……

I’m going to call the factory tomorrow but wanted to see if others have had a similar experience.  I just took delivery of a ECP in 9mm and have already taken it to the range twice.  I am shocked at the amount of fouling I am getting especially at the feed ramp.  If I could figure out how to post a photo from my mobile library I would, but it’s severe after just 150 rounds of factory Winchester and Federal ammo.  The feed ramp is caked with carbon.  I have never had a semi-auto foul like this, including my Guardian and V-Bob but not even Glocks or HK’s, etc.  And yes, I did have feeding problems, the cartridge nose would get stuck on the ramp a few times.  And sometimes I can feel it struggling to chamber, a hesitation and then “slam.”  

Is this unusual?  Have any of you experienced this?  Please share and thanks.

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 981
July 4, 2023 - 8:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum from PA!!

Usually fouling is a product of the ammo, more specifically the powder used.

Winchester White Box is some very dirty ammo.

The ECP is a very short barrel for a 1911 so that can effect the way the powder burns over say a Govt 5", coupled with a dirtier ammo (WWB) that could lead to the fouling build up. Of all my DW's I still don't have a model with a barrel shorter than 4.25" so I can't give you a definitive answer.

Definitely more a problem with the ammo I would say.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5292
July 5, 2023 - 5:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

GAPatriot
Woodstock, GA
Members
Forum Posts: 2
July 5, 2023 - 6:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, all.  That may be true about the Winchester but, my VP9 (4”) and VP9SK (3.4”) have almost no fouling problems with that ammo.  While I usually clean them after a range session ‘cause that’s just what I do, but sometime also skip because there is very little fouling, especially on the feed ramp.

Anyway, DW has already sent me a FedEx overnight mailing label for warranty work and it will ship out tomorrow.  I sent them pictures of the barrel, the breech end is just caked in black residue.  It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

KurtB
Pleasant Plains, Illinois

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1117
July 5, 2023 - 9:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IMG_3745-1.jpeg

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3914
July 6, 2023 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a lot of short barreled 1911 pattern guns. Starting with the Star DK 380, which was actually the first of them ever made. Colt Pony, FI model D, Sig P238 and the  938. Kimbers, etc, etc. They all have 23/4" to 3 " barrels. The Star only fed round nose full metal jacket. Modern hollow points are a problem for most of those guns.

I don't know about the fouling but the failure to feed is because of the design of the 1911. The tilting barrel works on 4.25 inch and longer barrels but the angle is too steep for the shorter barrels. My wife and I carried Sigs, 380 and 9mm respectively. Cocked and locked. Whether pocket or purse the first round in the magazine would slide forward a 1/16" and fail to feed. Even checking and reseating the round when loading doesn't always help. It doesn't affect longer barreled guns. We carry Revolvers now. 

Glenn54
DEEP EAST TEXAS
Members
Forum Posts: 9
August 12, 2023 - 8:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

GAPatriot said
Thanks, all.  That may be true about the Winchester but, my VP9 (4”) and VP9SK (3.4”) have almost no fouling problems with that ammo.  While I usually clean them after a range session ‘cause that’s just what I do, but sometime also skip because there is very little fouling, especially on the feed ramp.

Anyway, DW has already sent me a FedEx overnight mailing label for warranty work and it will ship out tomorrow.  I sent them pictures of the barrel, the breech end is just caked in black residue.  It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Has your issue been resolved?  Curious what they found wrong.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11052
August 14, 2023 - 3:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Curious to hear from the OP to see if his issues may have been resolved. Wondering if it's just an ammo issue, or...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: stonebuster, MagnumBoomer
Guest(s) 45
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377