Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
DW in 45ACP
gcp
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 19, 2011 - 6:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi to all and a very happy new year this is my first post.

I've recently become interested in the Dan Wessons in 45ACP. I have two 357mag revolvers of theirs, one of which was the very first pistol I ever purchase back in 1982, so nostalgia plays a big role in this quest. Anyway, due to my utter satisfaction to the DW revolvers I thought it may be nice to also add one of their 45ACPs to my collection. From what I've been reading they are made very well, and I love the way their bobtail grip looks and feels in my hand but they are a bit pricey. Now keeping in mind that I also own a SA long slide in SS and a circa 1967 National match both of which are great pistols, so can the Dan Wesson be that much better a pistol to warrant the extra $1,200-$1500 expenditure? It would be nice to have a DW 4.5" bobtail carry gun but I don't much carry a gun anyway so.... Are any of you aware of a great sale that would make it unresistable for me to seal this deal? In other words enable me would you?

Just thinking out loud here among friends.

IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
January 19, 2011 - 6:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome gcp!

I'm looking for a good deal on a DW auto myself, but it seems the prices are way up there. Have to keep looking on the auction sites for them. Do I think they are worth it? Yes, I do. Personally, I would sell something else in order to fund one. Some day, I'll find a deal.

The Savantist

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
January 19, 2011 - 9:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Welcome

Believe it or not, there used to be much more reasonably priced Dan Wesson 1911 pistols.  I have a Panther in stainless steel that retailed new for a little over $600.  This one is a "pre-CZ".

Image Enlarger

3PPCLined.jpg

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 19, 2011 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum....

just beating everyone else to the punch:

Post Pics

We love pics. And if you are the original owner of that 1980's DW,,, we would love you to consider adding to our registry.. over yonder. >>>>>>>>>>

A far as pricey DW 1911.. yeah and I cant seem to figure it out myself. How can two guns based on the same design be so different in cost. Hang around hee ong enough though and I KNOW something will turn up.

occasion

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
January 20, 2011 - 7:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had one of the DW CBOB's and it was an awesome gun (would still have it if it hadn't been stolen!).

I bought mine used but I also think they are worth the money.  They are very well made and DW customer service is excellent.

Welcome to the forum!

SPW1
Members
Forum Posts: 38
January 20, 2011 - 7:00 pm

The short answer on the "dan wesson" 1911's is that they are a fine gun but nothing special in my opinion given their current price bracket. Before CZ owned dan wesson they were a good gun and probably one of the best values on the market in 1911's dollar for dollar. Unfortunately after CZ bought out dan wesson they dramatically jacked up the prices on just about everything. That sort of priced their 1911's out of that "great value" bracket and today they don't really have much to recommended them over a lot of other 1911's in their price range though there is nothing wrong with them if that is what you want.

gcp
Members
January 20, 2011 - 7:18 pm

Guys, great info thanks! You are right, at this high prices I am not willing to own one so I'll have to come accross a great deal before I buy.

Here are my two wheel guns, love them both a lot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/George/Dan%20Wesson/?action=view&current=IMG_6374.jpg

Pinetor
Jackson MS, USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1569
January 20, 2011 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

MIght as well mention it here.. JUST picked up my PM7 today. Pics to follow.

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Ammo Box

in that order.

4 Monson Model 15's

1 Palmer FB 15

1 Rossi 357 Model 92 (lever)

1 CZ 75B

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
January 21, 2011 - 1:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats Pine ! occasion  You know it, we wanna see pics laughing

-Blacktop

+DW.jpg

Star4Ever
Sunny Southern CT
Members
Forum Posts: 45
January 21, 2011 - 10:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi GCP:

I have two Dan Wesson Bobtails.   One is a 2004 Patriot CBOB in stainless which I purchased used about 8 months ago.  The second is a 2010 VBOB which is part of a two gun matched number set (Same suffix different prefix).

These are quite nice pistols in .45 ACP.  Surprisingly accurate for a commander length.

The bobed tail grip makes for somewhat of a better concealed carry with quite little change in the "normal" grip.

I would keep your eyes open.  As I said I found the CBOB for under $800 out the door in the used rack.  There was an idiot mark on the grip which I took care of.  So keep lookin, and set up some searches on Gunbroker and Guns America.

Any other questions, on the BOB's just ask.

gcp
Members
gcp
Members
January 21, 2011 - 8:42 pm

Guys, I appreciate your kind words, lets hope something breaks and I land another DW.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 21, 2011 - 10:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I really lucked into my PM1-S

Image Enlarger

I thought it was a garden variety Pointman, then discovered it was more of a competition gun, with some higher quality parts, and special factory fitting. One like this was recently on GB and went for $741:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211372027

PMA (Pointman Aussie) can sometimes be found at a good price as well.

Good Luck, just keep looking!

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

gcp
Members
January 29, 2011 - 2:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gentlemen, please help me find a 1911 DW at a reasonable price!

I would prefer a bobtail but either in 45acp or preferably in 10mm would fit the bill just fine for me. I'd very much appreciate your help.

Steve

Dans Club
January 29, 2011 - 10:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What's reasonable for you?

CBOB, case, extra mag  $999?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

gcp
Members
January 30, 2011 - 10:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Depending on the condition, I could do that. Please PM me and we can discuss.

Steve

Dans Club
January 30, 2011 - 11:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Carlin

gcp
Members
February 2, 2011 - 7:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve and to the rest of my friends here,

A big thank you for trying to help me acquire another DW. I ultimately decided to go with a 10mm Tanfoglio yesterday in place of a DW. I've had a 9mm Tanfoglio for 10 years now and absolutely love it so a more potent 10mm round will be a welcome addition. I will still be looking for a 1911 DW but it'll have to come at a reasonable price as I just don't see the sensibility of a $1K+ 1911 but that's just me.

Steve

Dans Club
February 2, 2011 - 8:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, the "sweet spot" for buying DW 1911's seems to have ended 12-18 months ago. Up to that time, Factory new MSRP was reasonable, and the brand was undervalued (discounted) in retail sales. As a result, used ones were very affordable as well. Those days are over, and DW has established a market as a top level Factory custom type pistol.

There are great values in the 1911 market from larger manufacturers that are making step up versions of their basic models, and of course, 1911's are pretty easily upgraded either by the owner or a gunsmith. I bought a Taurus (I know) PT 1911 pretty early on, it was my first 1911, and a good gun which I spent some money on to upgrade. After I got my PM1-S, it didn't really measure up, and went away, but it was the perfect entry level 1911 for me.

George Carlin

gcp
Members
February 2, 2011 - 6:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My local dealer has quantity 740 1911 Taurus' for sale at $449 each. They all are the dual tone with aluminum lower and IMHO are a great price for a solid pistol but they are not the DW, fit and finish is simply not there.

Maybe one of these days I'll lack up on a CBOB at the right price, say in the $700 range. I ordered my 10mm reload stuff yesterday for my new Tanfoglio so I look forward to working up some potent loads to shoot with. Any recipe recommendations from the DW 10mm guys?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: MagnumBoomer
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3914
Stinger: 3377