Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
DW 1911 nomenclature?
SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2013 - 7:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

What does the alphabet soup of DW 1911 models translate to?  What I mean is, there seem to be far more models than what is listed on the CZ/DW site.  For example, Pointman Marksman, PM1 thru PM9, PTE-? thru PTE-?, Pointman, Pointman Major, Patriot etc.  Are the prefix characters the model designation and the number following the dash a series?  Is a PM1 older than a PM7?  Just trying to decipher the various models.  Also, are there any major differences between say a PM-? and a PTE-? if so, like what? 

I just picked up a PTE-B in like new condition with a low serial number, don't really know anything about this gun other than its 45 ACP and its a Patriot. It seemed unusual and in great condition at a good price so I grabbed it.   So what is this and how is it different than say a PM7 or a Heritage?

Thanks

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 22, 2013 - 7:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a starting place:

https://www.danwessonforum.com/archive/models-2/1911-pistols/

So my PM-1S is a Pointman Major Stainless

PTE-B is a Patriot with adjustable rear sight in a blued finish. Admittedly, it gets more complicated because some Patriots seem to be Bobtailed and some not, but nothing about DW is an exact science

Heritage is a much newer model just in the past few years, and the Pointman 7 is an older model. Possibly there are many more PM7's out there than any other DW 1911 model.

Shameless plug, if you can ever get your hands on a PM-1S/B, just do it. You won't regret it.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Dan Fan
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1212
January 23, 2013 - 8:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Scorpio,

Go to the 1911Forum.com, the Dan Wesson group has a sticky for the 1911 models.

Lots of info there and the place to go for your DW 1911.

Dan Fan

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
January 23, 2013 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Scorpio, you left out the PMA-B. PointMan Aussie Blued.laugh

888.jpgImage Enlarger

4c1.jpg

To me, the various unique names that have been given to the various DW 1911's is pretty cool, and makes them more interesting than some of the lame names (or worse, numbers) the competition assigns their guns. From what I've noticed, the differences between any of the models isn't much (fixed sights/adj. sights, bobbed/non-bobbed, etc), but with each slight change, they get to think up another cool name.smile Or at least they did in the pre-CZ days, lately they seem to have not been so inventive with new names.

Like mine, for example. The only thing that makes mine an "Aussie" is the unique etching on the slide, otherwise it's a plain 'ol blued PointMan.

I have no idea what the difference is between a PM1 & a PM7. It could be various calibers, or slight outward design variations, one of us may have to contact DW to get the lowdown on that question.

Steve

Dans Club
January 23, 2013 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

PM-1 is a Major, built specifically for IDPA Major Competition. Major refers to the "Power Factor" of the cartridge/load used, which needed to meet a required standard for bullet weight and velocity to be "Major" or "Minor". 

Any well made handgun could qualify for Major in terms of strength or durability, the big difference in Major/Minor in 1911's had to do with spring weights to cycle ammunition that had to produce specified fps/ftlbs.

Major meant that you were shooting loads that ran with the Big Dogs, not limp wrist sissy wad cutter loads (sorry for the editorial comments there)

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 23, 2013 - 6:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Steve, I've always wondered about that Major designation.  What is the Aussie designation?  Australia?  Also, on the Patriot I have PTE-B the E stands for Expert.  Expert what?  and the B for blued, I get that one.  This 1911 stuff is almost as much fun as the Dan Wesson serial number decoding.  I can't wait to shoot this gun, Pre CZ, YG003XX serial number.  Came with all the factory stuff, DW hard case, manual, wrench, spent shell, paper target, a letter from Bob Serva and the original sales reciept with price and date.  Interestingly the gun sold for $800 in 2002.  It looks alot like the gun in your sig. pic including the grips.  I've got to get some mags, only came with one Chip McCormick, I think I have a few Checkmates around somewhere.  I'll post a pic soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the help guys.

My father

My grandfather

Steve

Dans Club
January 23, 2013 - 10:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

E=Expert=Adjustable rear sight

I'd sure like to add that S/N to the registry, could you use the link on the right sidebar?

George Carlin

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
January 24, 2013 - 9:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SCORPIO said
What is the Aussie designation?  Australia?

Yep, Australia. When I brought my gun home, Steve found a good link that explained the "Brothers in Battle" etching symbol pretty well.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/1911-pistols/my-first-dw-1911/

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
January 24, 2013 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was planning on adding that serial number to the list Steve, just didn't get to it yet, this weekend for sure.

My father

My grandfather

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 23
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912