Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Dan Wesson Pointman DP third pistol in series ser no 102
mariog
Seacoast NH
Members
Forum Posts: 30
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 11, 2014 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Found :Dan Wesson Pointman DP number 4

Found a lnib Dan Wesson Pointman DP at my local shop yesterday. In box with all paperwork. Put a 7 day hold on it so I could figure out what is was. When I checked David Pruitt's site and saw the numbering started at DP00100, only 500 were made, and this local one was DP00102, decided I had to have it.

We had a Dan Wesson gun designer who lived in the Dover NH area. My FFL did not find out about him until he was moving out of the area. Not sure where he shot. He might have had enough land to shoot out in his back yard.

This gun might have filtered down from him to someone else to my local gun shop.
Will be picking this up in the next few days.

You have probably seen the following at Pruitt's site.

Dan Wesson Firearms Pointman Signature Dave Pruitt (PMDP) 5 inch 1911, .45 ACP

This gun was my personally designed signature pistol that was built by Dan Wesson Firearms (pre-CZ). We started this project in 2001 as DW wanted a custom signature model pistol from a Pro Shooter and Custom Gunsmith so they could add one more trick 1911 to their line of Semi-Auto Firearms.

I originally designed the gun as a .45 ACP with a fully supported Clark ramped style DW Match Stainless Steel barrel so in the future customers could order additional pre-fitted interchangeable top ends in 9mm, 38 Super and 10mm. All you needed to do was remove the slide stop and slide on a new top end.

I also used one of my favorite chevron front and rear cocking serrations, Novak style front and rear dovetail sights, stainless steel one piece guide rod, McCormick hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger, tactical thumb safety, high beavertail grip safety, checkered front strap and main spring housing, beveled magwell, checkered exotic hardwood grips and forged slide and frame.

Unfortunately, only 500 or so where made as Dan Wesson was purchased by CZ, so this limited production run was from 2001 to 2005. The serial numbers had my initials and a 5 digit number beginning at DP00100 in them, my company logo Gun Doc and bullseye where also on the right side of the slide. On the left side of the slide was the PMDP name which stood for Point Man Dave Pruitt.

These guns sold retail for $899

(Got it for $650) . Someone posted a year ago that they go for $500 used, but Dan Wesson semi autos seem to be climbing in price, in part due to CZ's price increases, ex. Valor for $1800 in black.)

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 11, 2014 - 9:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excellent deal, the DP's are pretty uncommon. Guns like this sometimes appear at good prices, they get overshadowed by the current Valor/ECO/CCO... DW 1911 frenzy

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
August 11, 2014 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1570
August 12, 2014 - 4:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool, I know that just a few months back one sold on GB, I remember it brought well over a grand. Post some pics!

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

Dan Fan
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1212
August 12, 2014 - 7:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You got a great buy on that one, the last one I saw at auction went well above 1000.00.

These are nice, I love mine.

Hosspower
Western PA

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 265
August 12, 2014 - 4:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

They are nice.  I got mine used from Williams gun sights website for $600 about 5 years ago.  My 1st 1911.  You will enjoy it.

Support your local IHMSA range.

ParaNormal
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 199
August 13, 2014 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Would sure love to see some pictures! That is a prize find. I can't believe the retail price...sounds way low. My 2005 Patriot CBOB MSRP was $1049. What you paid was GTDW! Congrats!

mariog
Seacoast NH
Members
Forum Posts: 30
August 14, 2014 - 3:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

http://s138.photobucket.com/user/mariogiberti/library/pmdp

Sorry, I can't load pictures from my computer to RSS feed. I have a photobucket link above with photos of the dp pointman number 102

ParaNormal
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 199
August 15, 2014 - 12:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You scored a real beauty. I love those serrations. Hurry to the range and let us know how she shoots!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye
Guest(s) 28
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377