Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Dan Wesson Custom non bobtail 10mm Commander
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM
Members
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 1, 2013 - 1:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Currently this is the only DW that I own and it's the one that "I'm taking with me", lol.

When Les Baer refused to make me a (fully pre paid) stainless 10mm Commander, I took a shot and asked Keith Lawton at DW if I could get a non bobtailed Commander built. Much to my surprise, he said yes. After discussing my wants, Keith said that they could accommodate them all and the rest is history.

I chose to have DW build me a stainless 10mm non bobtailed Commander with a set of buried adjustable Bomars with green front and yellow rear Trijicon night sights. I add flat S&A magwells to all of my 1911's (Commanders one and all), this one received the same. I just can't shoot a bobtail 1911, the grip is too short for me in all the wrong places.

I also had Paul Persinger make me a set of smooth Ivory stocks with over sized double diamonds, at first he resisted making them because he didn't think they would turn out. After completing them he was so impressed by the way they felt in the hand he asked if he could offer the style to others.

When I thanked Keith Lawton for the tremendous job they did in making my 10mm, I asked if he would let the guys in the shop know how pleased I was with it, he said he'd pass the info on "to the person" that built it. I was so blown away by that, that I'm ashamed to say that I forgot to ask who did build it for me. This gun's fit and finish was so much nicer than either of my Les Baer's that I sold both of them. Nuff said.

I sent Keith a pic showing my Custom DW along with the guns that it had replaced as my carry options.

Going clockwise from the 12 o'clock position, my Custom stainless DW 10mm non bobtailed Commander, a non cataloged stainless Gold Cup Commander, a Para Ordnance P14 with a P13 top end, an S&W 1066 10mm, a Witness Carry Comp, one of the aforementioned Les Baer Concept VIII Commanche's.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/MOUNTAINWILLIAM/IMG_0331.jpgImage Enlarger

Here's the pride and joy in question.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/MOUNTAINWILLIAM/IMG_0631.jpgImage Enlarger

and the other side.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/MOUNTAINWILLIAM/IMG_1078.jpgImage Enlarger

"Let's Roll" Todd Beamer United Flight 93

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 1, 2013 - 4:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think those grips are beautiful! I am starting on a DIY project on a Springfield LW Commander that I got at a remarkably low price. Although I already have a flat MSH for it, I have been considering using the magwell MSH, I'm just about convinced.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5272
January 1, 2013 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

x2 on the grips.  Mighty nice looking DW.  Let us know how it shoots; I'm sure it'll be great.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Blacktop
OHIO
Members
Forum Posts: 3004
January 1, 2013 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+DW.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 33