Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Dan Wesson CBOB
doubletapp
Members
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 14, 2015 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm looking to buy a new Dan Wesson CBOB. One of the local gun shops has one new and a new blem. I can't remember what he was asking for them but what are your opinions on the blem guns? What is a good price to pay for the blem and the regular CBOB? Thanks!

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
March 14, 2015 - 8:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

From a functional standpoint, the blems are as good as the non blems.  However, if you plan to sell the gun in the future, the blem designation is going to decrease the gun's value.  For me personally, I prefer NON blem guns.  I can't really give you an exact figure but I'll say that for me to even consider a blem over a non blem, there would have to be a substantial difference in price to make it worth it.  Also, you need to carefully examine the blem paying particular attention to any defects to judge the condition for yourself.  I've seen some blems that I couldn't find any defects, and others where it was very obvious. 

If the money is close, I'd grab the non blem. JMHO

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5289
March 15, 2015 - 6:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

+1 and...  understand the blems are marked with a small upside-down Y after the SN. 

Blems are normally a few hundred less than non-blem.  It can pay for some of your break-in ammo.

IMO, once you shoot the pistol, it's a blem anyway.

Regards, Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

ParaNormal
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 199
March 17, 2015 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+1 +1...the point is well covered here. if you just want to shoot, the extra $200+ can buy lot of ammo for your blem. If you value resale the blem stigma will cancel the collectors out of your market. You can see your future best. If you're looking to buy a keeper, then the blem is little more than a pimple on a beauty queen. 

doubletapp
Members
March 18, 2015 - 7:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys, so I went ahead and bought the non-blem. Mainly because they gave me a good price. Actually cheaper than i even found anywhere online, and also because the blem they had a couple weeks ago was no longer there anymore. madCan't wait to get out and shoot it!

doubletapp
Members
March 24, 2015 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

So I have some bad news.. Not only does the tritium in the night sights not glow at all, but I took it to the range today for the first time and after only 8 rounds it jammed up really bad. To the point where the slide wouldn't move at all. Even the gunsmith at the range said something is terribly wrong. Back to Dan Wesson it goes...

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
March 24, 2015 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did you strip it down and remove the shipping grease and relube with supplied oil before the range trip?  Proper break in is essential to prevent galling, which is most likely what happened.  
The night sights should not have been an issue so you'd have had to ship it back just for that.  Don't worry, DW customer service is very good and they will get the pistol back to you in a short time and operating correctly.

My father

My grandfather

doubletapp
Members
March 24, 2015 - 8:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes i did strip all of the factory grease out of it and used Sig's white grease which i have found to work very well on all of my other semi auto handguns. I'm hoping there won't be any marks on it when i get it back from having to force the slide off. So far i'm not too happy that i received an expensive (to me) handgun that had faulty tritium sights as well as reliability issues. Hopefully the turn around time isn't very long. Its always hard sending a brand new gun in for warranty work. 

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
March 24, 2015 - 8:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You didn't read the manual, they specify using the supplied oil, which is basically FP-10.  On the 1911Fourm, Keith Lawton of Dan Wesson has an article on why NOT to use grease.  Basically it collects debris and becomes abrasive very quickly.  He goes on to state that the very tight tolerances of the Dan Wesson require use of the high viscosity oil they supply.  So what you may have used on other guns is not recommended for the Dan Wesson.

I agree with you disappointment on the sights.  I'm not trying to be judgemental, but you did't follow the break in procedure and will need to get the gun fixed.  You're not alone, many folks have done the same.  

BTW, all the Dan Wesson 1911's are stainless steel, even if they appear black.  It is SS, duracoated.  The only exception is the CCO and perhaps the ECO, I have to double check it's frame material.  SS is prone to galling if not broken in correctly.  

My father

My grandfather

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
March 24, 2015 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My father

My grandfather

doubletapp
Members
March 24, 2015 - 9:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've shot many guns and never had a gun that was picky about the oil that was being used. I'll stick with fp-10 and see how it works from now on. Thanks

doubletapp
Members
March 24, 2015 - 9:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did a lot of reading before I purchased a DW 1911 and many people stated that galling hasn't been an issue with stainless 1911s in years because the frame and slide are made of a different hardness. After having this happen and doing some more research. It seems like it has happened to many people over the years with the cbob. You would think dan Wesson would do something to fix this proactively. It looks like they lap the slides once the gun is returned to them. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 45
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377