Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
comparing DW 44mag recoil
horseman
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 21, 2008 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am a relatively new owner of a DW 44 magnum and I love the thing.  I originally bought it just because I thought it was a fine looking gun.  I never really expected to shoot it very much since I have long fingers but small hands and I heard all the horror stories about recoil from the 44 magnum cartridge. But it came with a case, tools, and 6 inch and 8 inch barrels and it just seemed like a good gun to own.  I confess I was a little nervous about shooting it.  I bought some snap caps and practiced holding, aiming and firing for several weeks before I took it to the farm and tried it out.  Imagine my surprise when my son and I shot it for the first time! It may become my favorite.  Comparing it to my 45 pistols there is much more controllability.  By that I mean it doesn't buck when I fire it.  Most of the recoil is straight back through my arm.  The first time I shot it I admit my wrist was a little sore but the next time I tried adjusting my grip a little and I had no problem.  The task I have now is to find time to shoot it enough to get accurate with it.  My question is how do you think it compares with the DW 1911 as far as recoil and accuracy?  I have to say I have a weakness for those and hope to buy one as soon as possible.

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
December 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congratulations on your new DW. I wish I had your patience. " I bought some snap caps and practiced holding, aiming and firing for several weeks before I took it to the farm and tried it out."  I would have been banging away the same day, but that is just me. Anyway everyone has an opinion and here is mine. Most 1911 45 ACP's will only have around half the recoil of a 44 mag with full power loads. A 1911 may buck more, especially a compact version, but the power/felt recoil is much greater in a 44. As I said though, this is just my opinion. As far as accuracy,  I would give it to the 44 due to barrel length. However as a general rule DW's shoot better groups than most others. Go ahead and get the 1911 and compare. The only gun purchases I ever regretted were the ones I did not make. Happy shooting.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

horseman
Members
Forum Posts: 6
December 22, 2008 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks lbruce,  that's what I wanted to hear.  I always tell my children, you can't be too rich and you can't have too many 1911's.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
December 22, 2008 - 6:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Model 44 8" I shot definitely had more "thump" to it than a 1911, but definitely less than I was worried about, and very controllable. The DW .44 Magnum is a hefty pistol, and very manageable. I'd like to try a 4" someday.

Steve

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1921
January 8, 2009 - 3:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree that the 44 is surprisingly easy to shoot. The first time my wife shot it, she loved it!  Now she insists that we bring it anytime we go to a range -  not that I object!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Scout728
Guest(s) 61
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377