Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
CBOB returns home from Dan Wesson
frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 22, 2010 - 5:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It took 11 days from the day that Dan Wesson received my Classic Bobtail for repair before I received it back!

Keith did his magic on it, and it seems to be working great now.

A short time ago when I first bought the new CBOB, I tried to test it out and only got a couple rounds in it before the slide seized up on me.

I got in touch with Keith Lawton at Dan Wesson and he mailed a shipping label to me so I could return the pistol to him for repair.

Once Keith got the pistol, he reworked the frame and slide, polished the feed ramp, buffed out a couple dings that were along the side of the slide, and then installed an ambidextrous safety for me as I had requested. I figured as long as it was going to be in Keith's hands, why not let him install the safety as well!

Keith then test fired it and shipped it back with a sample of the oil they are experimenting with. He also recommends FP-10, which I ordered two bottles of and will use nothing but that from now on in that pistol.

I was able to run off 100 rounds through the pistol the other day with only two failure to feeds, and they were the last round in the magazine. I cannot say if both were from the same magazine or not as I did not pay attention at the time. I will mark the magazines A/B so I will be able to tell if it happens again. The pistol seems to shoot better and better each round that goes through the pipe!

I can say that the pistol will hit whatever I am aiming at. It did not matter if I was at the 7 yard marker, or the 15 yard marker. I did not bother to shoot it at my 25 yard marker until I get a little more used to the pistol. For now I was just concentrating on 7,10 and 15 yards. I was hitting the 3" sticker over and over.

It was not worth taking any pictures of the target. All you would see would be a bunch of holes, and I could have punched them in the target with a stick! Besides it is hard to shoot the pistol and shoot pictures at the same time!

I have to give Dan Wesson and Keith a huge thanks for all the help.

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
March 22, 2010 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In todays gunsmithing world a turnaround of 11 days is AWESOME Worship.  Glad it all worked out for you.

SHOOT

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
March 22, 2010 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have NEVER seen anyone that was not blown away by DW/CZ service

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rv4driver
Members
Forum Posts: 18
March 22, 2010 - 9:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nothing like getting the CBOB running again. I'd had some problems with mine, it was mostly feed lips on the mags and a small shell retention issue in the extractor. 20 minutes including test firing and it's good as gold.

Usually there are specific reasons for "last round" failures and "first round" failures. A good gunsmith (1911 gunsmith) can spot it right away. It's the in-between round failures that are tougher.

Jeff

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
March 23, 2010 - 9:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gotta love a DW story with a happy ending.Laugh Sounds like you have yourself a fun shooter now, congrats!

frankb
Piedmont of NC
Members
Forum Posts: 47
March 23, 2010 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I cannot believe how good the pistol shoots. I can draw the gun out of ready position and up to fire and the sights are perfectly aligned every time. It was the exact same way with the CBOB a fellow shooter had at the gun shop. He went all the way home just to get the pistol for me to see. Am I ever glad he did! I could hold his pistol at the ready and then draw up as if I was going to fire and the sights were dead on the target every single time without any further adjustment or alignments. I worried that his pistol may have been one in a thousand that would do that for me but it is exactly the same with the one I have now.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: jertex
Guest(s) 35
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3912
Stinger: 3377