Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Best Holster Material for DW?
jtoups1214
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 18, 2015 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm an owner of my first DW.  4.25" 1911 Guardian Bobtail.  Must say I LOVE IT! 

I was curious with everyones experience,  if there was a certain type of holster which kept the guns finish as best as possible.

Plastic, Leather, kydex?

Thanks for the help!

ese927
SHELBYVILLE, KENTUCKY
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1360
April 18, 2015 - 11:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

really depends on how you wanna carry it.  I personally like the BlackHawk  Serpa Autolock. I wear mine OWB on a paddle for my 1911 class.  Serpa Concealment Holster comes with paddle and belt loop. sporter type holster you mount tp platform you like and set the cant to your feel.

I am a big dude.... you can buy kydex/leather mix for IWB. I here they are comfortable.

Oath Keeper #021479 NRA #206814004
Member AAGSR Member AGA #83120600233

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

jtoups1214
Members
Forum Posts: 2
April 19, 2015 - 11:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks! 

I actually bought that exact holster last weekend, along with a tagua leather owb yesterday. I'll probably return one,just not sure which yet. I have a Savoy leather holster ordered but that will take approx 3mths.  So I needed something decent in the meantime. But I wanted minimal wear on my gun while waiting...

middlecalf
Idaho
Members
Forum Posts: 342
April 20, 2015 - 12:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I personally don't think there is such a thing as a "no wear" holster.  My opinion is get the best holster fit you can (fit includes gun-to-holster as well as holster-to-you).  For all of my carry guns (carry meaning on my body) I have nylon and leather holsters (no kydex - yet), each for it's own particular purpose  (e.g. on horseback, out hunting with the dogs, working on fence in snake country, CC, ...).  And because my guns are "user" guns, I think the more wear on the gun the better because that means I'm "using" the gun morebig-grin.  Leather is my favorite, and a lined leather "glove" would seem to have the least wear.

bunny
Wyoming, land of the free
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 48
April 21, 2015 - 9:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

middlecalf said
I personally don't think there is such a thing as a "no wear" holster.  My opinion is get the best holster fit you can (fit includes gun-to-holster as well as holster-to-you).    Leather is my favorite, and a lined leather "glove" would seem to have the least wear.

I agree, I like horse hide or Rino (very hard to get, it has to be from an old museum exhibit or private collection,) and the finish will wear after a couple years.  Then you get to send it off and try a new finish!

MaverickDMD
Members
Forum Posts: 33
October 29, 2020 - 1:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like to buy vintage leather from Ebay.  A 10- or 20-year old holster that is specific to your gun will come already broken in for you.  Usually just the right retention and minimal finish wear as that's already done by some one else's gun!  Worth a look and often great deals.

"Knowledge is good".  E. Faber

mrerick
Members
Forum Posts: 6
November 5, 2020 - 5:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been using and recommending Kydex fitted holsters for several years. 

They provide adequate retention, and keep the mouth of the holster open for easy re-insertion with one hand. 

All holsters will cause wear, but the Kydex material is softer than the steel, so the wear is minimal over time - especially as the trigger guard retention minimizes movement within the holster. 

I never store a firearm inside a holster, just put it there while I'm carrying. 

Side-Swipe
Members
Forum Posts: 11
November 7, 2020 - 12:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it's the duty finish I know DW recommends Kydex. Leather isn't great due to it having inferior retention and it ages. Kydex will hold the shape perfectly and usually has adjustable retention. If holster wear is a concern, then don't carry it. Carrying requires a utilitarian gun in my opinion.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 34
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377