Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Prove your humanity

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
New CZ 715 prices?? Anyone bought one???
mrarff
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 17, 2014 - 3:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just curious, I have been watching these on GB since they appeared. Prices all over the place! Are they selling?? worth buying?? Know anyone who has bought one? I saw a "starts at" of $750 recently, and the price of an original (Palmer models excluded) is right about that, so are they worth it? The next DW I buy will be a 715(new or old), so I watch close and listen......BTW I'm not interested in the "non interchangeable Barrel " guns.

Ed Mc
Members
Forum Posts: 148
October 17, 2014 - 9:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First, welcome to the forum. Below is a link to a recent thread on the topic that might answer some of your questions.  

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/revolvers/current-opinion-regarding-the-new-dw-715/

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3879
October 18, 2014 - 8:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A lot has been written on the new 715's. I will keep it short. They are nowhere as beautiful. Angular, sharp edges and cheaper looking. I am sure they are well made though.  Not for me.

hugelk
Northern Illinois
Members
Forum Posts: 391
October 18, 2014 - 1:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also IMHO, A classic original 715 bought for 750 will continue to increase in value, A new one will probably drop a bit and then hold steady. But if you have DWAS and funds..... get them both ! 

HUGELK

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 18, 2014 - 7:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
 A lot has been written on the new 715's. I will keep it short. They are nowhere as beautiful. Angular, sharp edges and cheaper looking. I am sure they are well made though.  Not for me.

I think this sort of defines my feelings on the new 715's as well. I very freely admit a predisposition to the originals, the new ones just feel cold and sterile. The silly price is the killer IMHO.

But in fairness, I own all the 15-2/715's I will ever want or need (unless of course someone has a beater 15-2 4VH I could use for a dream project).

I continue to say that CZ/DW's big opportunity is the Large Frame in the specialty calibers 

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Albert83
Members
Forum Posts: 102
October 19, 2014 - 5:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

What Ole Dog says is quite common these days in all firearms, CAD desing and CNC cutting makes most modern firearms look a bit generic and clinical. The designers try to avoid weird contours and difficult lines not because they cannot be made but because of cost cutting and ease in manufucturing. Athough I like the design of the new 715 it seems that the reasons above are what gave it its somewhat different looks. If you look closely at an old DW shroud, frame or cylinder they may seem quite plain but they have some weird cuts and fillets. A profound example are the cylinder flutes that on the new 715 end on a constant radius where in the old 715 and 15 had a variable contour. About 8 years ago while in university I started a project to copy what was my father's Dan Wesson at that time in CAD parts. Never finished it and yesterday that I checked it out had several mistakes. Below two photos of a barrel-shroud assembly that misses some elements such as the sights bolt hole but its close. I will start it again in the near future! 

Dan-Wesson-6inch.jpgImage Enlarger

Dan-Wesson-6inch-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Hosspower
Western PA

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 265
October 19, 2014 - 7:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool.  What design software do you use?  I have done the same in pro/e (now creo).  The barrel assembly was as far as I got.

Support your local IHMSA range.

Albert83
Members
Forum Posts: 102
October 27, 2014 - 2:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thank you Hosspower! It was designed using autodesk's inventor. Its true that the barrel assembly is the easiest part to start with, but it also has its difficulties as the barrel its self. I've worked years ago a little bit with pro enginneer and I found it good but complex sometimes without being necessary.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: rwsem, msmiller, 605Dart
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879
Stinger: 3360