Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Can someone explain the 357 "Super Mag"
Kiss Snatcher
Members
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 27, 2015 - 11:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is this gun limited to a specific 357 or will shoot both? What about 38's?

What model number is the Stainless 357 super mag?

Also please confirm it's a fixed barrel

Thanks,

willy
Ohio

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 831
March 27, 2015 - 11:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Will shoot the 357 max, 357 mag and 38 special

model would be 740

I've never seen a fixed barrel 357 Super Mag, but that doesn't mean there's not one floating around out there

By the way we all like pics of cool guns so get ready for post-pics

zoommb
People's Republic of Illinois

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3161
March 27, 2015 - 12:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't believe there's any such thing as a fixed barrel SuperMag in a Dan Wesson gun.

If you shoot .38's, or .357 Mag's in it be sure to thoroughly clean the cylinders afterward or the powder residue will prevent you from getting .357 Max cartridges into the cylinders.

-Mike

D2X_0011_x_sm.jpg

Kiss Snatcher
Members
Forum Posts: 47
March 27, 2015 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your answer

I would love to show you a pic but I don't own it...... yet.

But  maybe I will one day.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
March 27, 2015 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are some issues you should know about if your heart is set on owning a 357 Supermag or Maximum.  Originally chambered in Ruger Super Blackhawks, they were withdrawn from the market and Ruger made an attempt  to recall  or confiscate all the guns sold.  In an attempt to obtain maximum muzzle velocity, Silhouette  shooters used light bullets and the result was flame etching of the top strap and corrosion of the forcing cone. As I understand it the undersized bullet allowed hot gases to blow past before it entered the forcing cone. Dan Wesson discovered that the flame etching stopped after a short distance. The forcing cone problem was "solved" by including an extra barrel with each gun. There is a 740 on Gunbroker now that has a bit of deterioration of the forcing cone I think. The solution was to use bullets of 170 grains or larger . Using 357 magnum will not be a problem except for the need for scrubbing the cylinders. 

wdelack
Blacksburg, VA.
Members
Forum Posts: 870
Redface

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 24
March 28, 2015 - 7:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
There are some issues you should know about if your heart is set on owning a 357 Supermag or Maximum.  Originally chambered in Ruger Super Blackhawks, they were withdrawn from the market and Ruger made an attempt  to recall  or confiscate all the guns sold.  In an attempt to obtain maximum muzzle velocity, Silhouette  shooters used light bullets and the result was flame etching of the top strap and corrosion of the forcing cone. As I understand it the undersized bullet allowed hot gases to blow past before it entered the forcing cone. Dan Wesson discovered that the flame etching stopped after a short distance. The forcing cone problem was "solved" by including an extra barrel with each gun. There is a 740 on Gunbroker now that has a bit of deterioration of the forcing cone I think. The solution was to use bullets of 170 grains or larger . Using 357 magnum will not be a problem except for the need for scrubbing the cylinders. 

Would this also have happened in the 445 Super Mag or was it not a problem in that chambering?  

ParaNormal
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 199
March 28, 2015 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Same for the 445 if you fire 44 mag or 44 special, these shorter cartridges leave residue which if not cleaned out thoroughly will interfere with the smooth chambering of the longer super mag. 

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
March 30, 2015 - 2:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
 Silhouette  shooters used light bullets and the result was flame etching of the top strap and corrosion of the forcing cone. As I understand it the undersized bullet allowed hot gases to blow past before it entered the forcing cone. 

It wasn't Silhouette shooters, it was varmint hunters.  In silhouette you only score a point if you knock over the target.  The distances are fixed, so a flatter shooting bullet is not that big an advantage. Also, the Rams weigh 47 lbs.  The heavier the bullet the better, so silhouette shooters always use 180 or heavier bullets.

Dan Wesson also minimized the flame cutting by specifying a .002" gap between the cylinder and forcing cone.  I believe all of the supermag cartridge guns came with a .002 instead of a .006" feeler gauge.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
March 30, 2015 - 10:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are so right NVGDude. That was my point though. Use heavier bullets. Redface, as far as I know there was not the same problem with the 445. Still, the gap is .002 in all the large frames I believe. But you have to keep the cylinder face clean. 

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11041
March 31, 2015 - 1:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said

From what I have read, this was done mainly to appease the overly vocal nay-sayers that were still fuming about the Ruger thing back then. Many (including my own) DW Model 40's still have that extra barrel in it's original wrapper. wink I see it as a testament to DW's "mettle". Others I've noticed have been used, but none of them particularly burnt & unusable. But who am I to say, maybe those had been replaced 6 times over. lol2 I am only SO old, after all.

Anyway, a shortened account of the final word can be read >HERE< from one of the guys on the front line of the development of the .357 Maxi, David Bradshaw. The man is sharp as a tack & has forgotten nothing...save his wife's honey-do-list.big-grin

wdelack said
A nice Wiki;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_magnum

But as I often notice these days, that Wiki entry is severely lacking. screwy Especially where the .375 is concerned. I (or a select few of our DWF brothers) should edit that thing one day & make it correct.wink

Dan in MI
Members
Forum Posts: 15
September 2, 2015 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going on memory from shooting steel when this was all new. I am fairly certain DW also made the cyl longer than Ruger which is a big reason DW doesn't flame cut like a Ruger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Scout728, Stmstan 445
Guest(s) 59
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911
Stinger: 3377