Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
714 fixed barrel
safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
Forum Posts: 202
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 31, 2014 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I held one today and pondered buying it... It was short 2-3" fixed, decent shape, would clean up easily, whats it worth? 

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
October 31, 2014 - 9:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stainless  a  couple on GB seem to roll over.  Now  I don't find them!  blue  350 to ?    SS a little more maybe!   Just where I am anyway!   

DSCN1339.jpg

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1570
October 31, 2014 - 9:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hard to say a value on it. Not a high dollar gun like a rare Supermag etc but a 714FB is a rare one nonetheless. I would easily pay $400 for one and I am a cheapskate.

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3910
October 31, 2014 - 11:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmm!  Fixed barrel, fixed sights. Sounds like a sounds like a Smith &Wesson ,Taurus or a Ruger. Worth about the same . Just can't make myself buy a fixed barrel dan.  JMHO.

safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
November 1, 2014 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why wouldnt you buy a fixed barrel... I was looking because I dont have one, yet.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3910
November 1, 2014 - 11:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My fascination with Dans started because of the changable barrels. I have quite a few now but every time I have an opportunity to purchase a fixed barrel gun I ask myself why should I buy a gun without the unique feature. The cylinder gape can not be adjusted and you would have to live with whatever it was. I also like to be able to remove the barrel for ease of cleaning.I understand that they are very accurate but there are models left I would rather have.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
November 2, 2014 - 8:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
My fascination with Dans started because of the changable barrels. I have quite a few now but every time I have an opportunity to purchase a fixed barrel gun I ask myself why should I buy a gun without the unique feature. The cylinder gape can not be adjusted and you would have to live with whatever it was. I also like to be able to remove the barrel for ease of cleaning.I understand that they are very accurate but there are models left I would rather have.

For the longest time I agreed with this, when (many years back) we had the first post on DWF about fixed barrel guns, I was surprised to learn of such a thing. My shooting preferences have changed over the years, and I only own and shoot 4" these days.

I still don't want a fixed barrel DW, but they do have the DW action, easy grip interchange, etc.

BTW-LGS has a "New" CZ 715, $900. 

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Eric
Members
Forum Posts: 34
November 2, 2014 - 9:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Fixed Barrel DW is all the same of regular DW except it has a fixed barrel.  I still even has tension at both ends of the barrel like a interchangeable model.  We came out with the fixed barrel models for a few reasons. One reason was anytime we entered a bid for say a govt. dept. they didn't like the fact their people can take a barrel off.  That's why even Dan had fixed barrels way back in the beginning if you look at the old advertisements.  He did it with a "one way" barrel nut.  We also did this for patent reasons.  Last was there was a demand for this type over seas.  Some people were just way too overwhelmed that they could take their guns apart and changes barrel lengths.  I hope this helps.

Best regards

Eric

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
November 5, 2014 - 8:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

safestosmall said
Why wouldnt you buy a fixed barrel... I was looking because I dont have one, yet.

One of the interesting things about the FB guns is that they tended to have odd length barrels (e.g 3" or 5")

My fixed barrel .44 Mag has a 5" barrel for example.

Steve

Dans Club
November 6, 2014 - 8:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A little off topic, but regarding the tensioned barrel, some S&W Performance Center revolvers have a similar set up, but you cannot buy barrels, shrouds, etc.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
November 11, 2014 - 11:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went by the pawn shop this morning and made an offer she couldn't refuse on this palmer fixed barrel so I bought it. I think I also made a deal autumn model 15 heavy vent pistol pac this morning

Steve

Dans Club
November 11, 2014 - 11:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

safestosmall said
I went by the pawn shop this morning and made an offer she couldn't refuse on this palmer fixed barrel so I bought it. 

You are on fire right now, have fun buying in to a solid, user friendly revolver platform

George Carlin

safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
November 11, 2014 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Watching prices going up over the past few years, I think they are a solid investment. Colts and smiths are going up but IMHO none are as cool as a Dan

safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
November 11, 2014 - 7:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Here she is after a little clean up... She has an occasional sticky trigger, if you bump it or move the cyl the trigger resets. After a quick look it appears to be on the same cyl every time. Thinking maybe the hands gerring stuck on the star.

IMG_20141111_180827_3931.jpgImage Enlarger

Hosspower
Western PA

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 265
November 11, 2014 - 7:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How is the action?  I have a Palmer fixed barrel and cocking the hammer in single action is tight.  Double action is no better.  I've opened it and cleaned the innards.   Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.   My 15-2's have been smoothed out quite a bit from the average Joe thread.

Support your local IHMSA range.

Steve

Dans Club
November 11, 2014 - 8:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

George Carlin

safestosmall
Panama City Fl
Members
November 12, 2014 - 1:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did a little Average Joe tonight on the desk with my big India stone. The inside of the side cover was bare cast, not a mark on it and rough! I cleaned up the inside of the frame some with a small India I had and all the parts went on the big stone, polshed up the outside some more and put her back together with a little break free lube. It sure is a ton smooother, I'm sure that side cover had a lot to do with that. 

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
November 13, 2014 - 12:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Eric said
The Fixed Barrel DW is all the same of regular DW except it has a fixed barrel.  I still even has tension at both ends of the barrel like a interchangeable model.  We came out with the fixed barrel models for a few reasons. One reason was anytime we entered a bid for say a govt. dept. they didn't like the fact their people can take a barrel off.  That's why even Dan had fixed barrels way back in the beginning if you look at the old advertisements.  He did it with a "one way" barrel nut.  We also did this for patent reasons.  Last was there was a demand for this type over seas.  Some people were just way too overwhelmed that they could take their guns apart and changes barrel lengths.  I hope this helps.

Best regards

Eric

I, for one LOVE stuff (info) like this!laugh Sometimes it seems that facts like this come along so rarely that I often wonder if we will ever have the answers revealed...and then someone comes along who feeds my soul, truly.smile Thank you, Eric.

And so, to accompany Eric's post, here is a photo of one of the "way back" FB (fixed barrel) guns...this is my model D11. Yes, I apologize for the buggered lower portion of the photo, it's an old leftover "war wound" thanks to my photo host site.mad

D11 FBImage Enlarger

The business end...

Image Enlarger

Of course, the D11 FB eventually morphed into the more common (and aesthetically pleasing) FB guns offered to us during the Palmer years.big-grin Here are my 3" FB twins, Pete & Repeat!

Image Enlarger

Repeat (the stainless one) got to go to the range last Father's day...Pete is totally jealous!big-grin Repeat...

Image Enlarger

BTW, for anyone wondering...yes, where FB's were concerned, you COULD have your cake & eat it too. FB's were available in whichever barrel length you desired. Normally, I would present photo evidence of this, but my web photo site lost this for me a while back.frown So for now, just take my word for it!lol2

NVGdude
Arizona
Members
Forum Posts: 103
November 13, 2014 - 12:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Almost every FB I have personally seen was either a 3" or 5".  I ordered this one right after Palmer closed down.  It was the only one by LGS could get at the time.

Proportions are just right.

5" M44FB.  

Image Enlarger

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
November 13, 2014 - 8:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now if only we could find some info on those FB Titans!    Thanks Eric for the insight into all of the unknown!   

DSCN1339.jpg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 54
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3910