Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
715 sideplate a bear to get off, now can't reinstall...help!
defcon.klaxon
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 12, 2015 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey guys,

I bought Wolff springs for my 715 and since it was filthy when I bought it, I figured taking her all apart and giving a good thorough cleaning would be the right thing to do.  I used the Average Joe writeup for disassembly and after a good bit of heat/cold cycles I got the sideplate off, but now as I'm trying to fit it back in, it just doesn't want to go.  I've been polishing the mating surfaces a bit but am very worried about rounding over the sharp corners and even after a good bit of work, it still is just a bear to get in, to the point where I would really have to push on it to get it back in place, and it's such an interference fit that I haven't even dared do it all the way.  

I guess question is, is this normal?  I've read several accounts of guys taking a DW apart and once things were clean, the sideplate "slips right on".  Mine couldn't be further from the truth.  At this point should I just send to a gunsmith and have them work on it, or should I keep polishing the mating surfaces?  I'm again really worried about rounding over corners and making the mating surface uneven.

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1674
August 12, 2015 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some of them are tight.  Just make sure the front tab is seated into the frame correctly and you can tap the back corners (where the screws go) in with a soft hammer (a gunsmith hammer with the nylon face is what I am referring to).  If it came off it will go back on.  If you can get it seated correctly to start, the 2 screws will bring it all the way down to the frame.  I wouldn't be working the edges too much or you're going to be looking at a gap between the plate and the frame.  I wouldn't send it to a "gunsmith" either.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 12, 2015 - 11:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"the sideplate “slips right on”.

harly is right, if it was on there before, it will go on again. Slow and easy does it, as long as everything is in the right place, it's all going to go back together.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3909
August 13, 2015 - 12:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It slips and it doesn't. It already has been fitted.  Tapping the back corners is okay, but don't try to hammer it straight down. The weak spot is where the cylinder stop is.  Hammering there can cause it to break. To remove it tap on the grip tang with the soft hammer or screw driver handle smartly and it should pop off. You might try putting the sideplate in the freezer to perhaps shrink it.  I have never tried it but.... Once you get the back edge below the lip of the frame it should tap in. 

Maxwell 'Arlen' Silver

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 489
August 13, 2015 - 8:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How about the hot cold thing again?

Heat the frame with a hair dryer and freeze the plate.

Endeavor to persevere,
Press on regardless.
Need little, want less, love more.

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
August 13, 2015 - 8:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The side plate on my 715 is a very tight fit as well. I have found that the thinnest layer of Slideglide on the mating surfaces usually makes assembly much easier.

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

SHOOTIST357
Colorado Springs, CO

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers
Forum Posts: 4788
August 13, 2015 - 12:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

🙂

Don't polish, don't hammer, don't force it....  It's all about finesse, not muscle.  make sure the mating edges are clean on both pieces, put some form of oil/lube on them, and after you make sure the leading egde/tab is properly seated, work the back end in place.  A tight fitting side plate is a good thing.

Also, make sure everything is properly lined up/installed under the sideplate and not impeding your progress.

SHOOT

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
August 14, 2015 - 8:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Put the side plate in the freezer, lay the revolver out in the sun. I bet it will drop right in.

LB

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
August 16, 2015 - 6:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like all things are covered so has it popped back in?

DSCN1339.jpg

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
August 16, 2015 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lbruce said
Put the side plate in the freezer, lay the revolver out in the sun. I bet it will drop right in.

LB

It's going to be sunny and 100+ again here in TX. I'll be happy to let that 715 bask in the sun on my porch. coolbig-grin

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3909
August 17, 2015 - 7:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5286
August 17, 2015 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

defcon.klaxon
Members
August 27, 2015 - 4:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

So sorry about not getting back to this, been rather busy with work and it's just slipped my mind.

Thanks to all for chiming in.  As for an update on the situation, I still am having real bear of a time getting the sideplate on.  I've made sure that front tab is lining up properly and what I find is (bear with me with this description, not sure if it'll make sense or not) there are four "mating surfaces" where the sideplate meets up with the frame (front with tab, middle upper and lower, and rear).  If I line up the front and very slightly angle it to "follow" the middle upper or lower mating surfaces, it'll bind up on the opposite side.  It's like the angles just don't want to line up.  If I really force it, I could get it back into place yes, but it would take a whole lot of force, to the point where I feel uncomfortable.  I'll put it to you this way: when I compare how much force it took to remove it and try to wedge it into place, hearing that people "tap" the frame to loosen the sideplate is kind of like hearing that I should be able to push a tank out of a mudhole by myself by "rocking it back and forth a bit".  It seems to be ever so slightly improved by taking the mating surfaces to my honing stone but yeah...suffice to say, it's still a major concern.  It doesn't seem like any lubrication would help.

I think I'm going to work the mating surfaces more, really take my time and use a lot of patience, and see if I can get it to at least be snug, but not ridiculous.  I will also try freezing the sideplate and heating the frame to see if that helps before I do any add'l honing work. 

I will keep you updated guys!  Thanks for the suggestions.

defcon.klaxon
Members
August 29, 2015 - 12:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys,

Wanted to give a final update.  After a couple hours with some honing stones and some wet/dry sandpaper, my sideplate finally fits snugly but is easily removed.  I would really, really suggest caution doing this work as a little goes a very long way and I was very careful to go slowly and polish up the sideplate and checked often.  Essentially when I was done, the tooling marks were gone and now the mating surfaces are shiny and smooth, but the lines are still very tight against the frame.  It was a lot of trial and error, and even though I could tell I was making progress only at the very end did it finally feel right...if I would have gone too much further, I would have probably ended up with the sideplate too loose and some unsightly gaps between sideplate and frame.  But, with patience and checking fit every few strokes, I found success.  Now I just gotta clean the whole thing up and reassemble, it was very dirty inside.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5286
August 29, 2015 - 6:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

Maxwell 'Arlen' Silver

Supporter
Members
Forum Posts: 489
August 29, 2015 - 6:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Endeavor to persevere,
Press on regardless.
Need little, want less, love more.

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
August 29, 2015 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

defcon.klaxon said
Hi guys,

I would really, really suggest caution doing this work as a little goes a very long way and I was very careful to go slowly and polish up the sideplate and checked often...It was a lot of trial and error, and even though I could tell I was making progress only at the very end did it finally feel right...if I would have gone too much further, I would have probably ended up with the sideplate too loose and some unsightly gaps between sideplate and frame...  But, with patience and checking fit every few strokes, I found success....

I did a little selective editing on this quote to emphasize the most critical practice of home gunsmithing.

Words to live by

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
August 29, 2015 - 10:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print