Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
XP-100
IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 7, 2011 - 6:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Been doing more scope swapping. The Lilja 6mmBR just traded it's fixed Burris 4x for the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6X scope. An accurate round like that needs more X's.

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11037
April 8, 2011 - 10:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's quite a colorful stock on that one, looks pretty cool.cool

WADERMAN
TN. RIVER-BANK
Members
Forum Posts: 47
April 10, 2011 - 10:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awsome stock there 80X80...reminds me of our big blue marble..you have a hell of a collection. Must be fun keepin track of em !

IHMSA80x80
Members
April 11, 2011 - 10:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's more fun shooting them. lol2 Thanks for the compliments.

The Savantist

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
June 1, 2011 - 7:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can't believe there are so many variations in color and style on these XP-100 pistols. They are beautiful. I use to want one. I ended up with the Encore T/C pistols in various calibers with muzzle brakes.

Those XP-100 looked balanced. Anyone free hand shoot them much. I would like to have one in a moderate caliber not a wildcat. If anyone knows where I can get one at reasonable price let me know. Gary Jshooting

IHMSA80x80
Members
June 3, 2011 - 11:18 am

There are lots of XP-100's made in standard factory chamberings. The mid-grip versions balance very well shooting from a standing position. You might want to look for a 10.5" original in .221 Fireball. Factory loaded ammo is available, accuracy is outstanding and the recoil is very mild. Many have been rechambered to .223 Remington also. One of mine has been, and it is cheap to shoot. Gunbroker has them, with diligence, you could get one for around $550.

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

Gary J
Georgia
Members
June 5, 2011 - 2:10 pm

IHMSA80x80 said:

There are lots of XP-100's made in standard factory chamberings. The mid-grip versions balance very well shooting from a standing position. You might want to look for a 10.5" original in .221 Fireball. Factory loaded ammo is available, accuracy is outstanding and the recoil is very mild. Many have been rechambered to .223 Remington also. One of mine has been, and it is cheap to shoot. Gunbroker has them, with diligence, you could get one for around $550.

This one is a real beauty. What do you need to look for on those nylon

stocks? I collect the  Remington .22 nylon stock rifles. Are there certain

stress points on these pistols that you need to look at carefully? What

kind of accuracy do you get at 100 yds." And what is the maximum

distance for the .221 Fireball? Thanks, Gary.

P.S.  I'm having a little problem finding one in that 550 range.

Sooner or later one may turn up. We are having a gun show in

a couple of weeks here. Maybe I can find one. Do you have any

advice on how I need to check it out to see if it's sound and

worth the money?

IHMSA80x80
Members
June 6, 2011 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check it out just the way you would a bolt-action rifle. Look for galling on the locking lugs due to lack of lubrication, pitting on the bolt face from blown primers. As far as the stock goes, look for seam splits. Even if it is split, which was pretty common, you could get a replacement one for around $35.

Accuracy at 100 should be an inch or less. I've shot mine to 300 meters on steel, but the Fireball should be a good varminter to 150, maybe 200 meters with no problem.

The Savantist

Gary J
Georgia
Members
June 6, 2011 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80x80 said:

Check it out just the way you would a bolt-action rifle. Look for galling on the locking lugs due to lack of lubrication, pitting on the bolt face from blown primers. As far as the stock goes, look for seam splits. Even if it is split, which was pretty common, you could get a replacement one for around $35.
Accuracy at 100 should be an inch or less. I've shot mine to 300 meters on steel, but the Fireball should be a good varminter to 150, maybe 200 meters with no problem.

Thanks for the information. I ordered the Remington Nylon XP-100 .221 Fireball.

Now where do I get some reasonable price ammo? Thanks, Gary.

Gary J
Georgia
Members
June 18, 2011 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In case you guys missed it, here is the one I got. The price was reasonable and it came with a 2x Leupold scope. Man! The .221 is loud and I see why they call it the fire ball. I think I singed my eyebrows. smile But I like it!!

[Image Can Not Be Found]Image Enlarger

" alt="" />

[Image Can Not Be Found]Image Enlarger

" alt="" />

IHMSA80x80
Members
February 25, 2017 - 8:19 pm

Updating broken picture links here. Here's the .22 BR XP with a Leupold 2.5-8x scope replacing the Burris 3-9x, which didn't perform well for silhouette.

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

IHMSA80x80
Members
February 25, 2017 - 8:35 pm

I've only added 2 XP-100's since this thread was started back in 2009. Found this one on Gunbroker. Didn't really need it (of course, NEED is never an issue) because it is in .358 Winchester. I mean, I already had one in .35 Remington and one in .350 Remington Magnum, so I pretty much had the .35 caliber covered.

Image Enlarger

It was built for hunting and came just this way, with the bipod, sling and soft case. The stock has a little damage on the heal, some corrosion on the barrel, but what really caught my eye was this...

Image Enlarger

It was made by Bill Calfee! The same guy who converted the XP-100 to .22LR. I had to have it! Got it cleaned up real nice and the owner (the original one who put it on Gunbroker) said it only had 121 rounds through it. The bipod was removed, and the scope changed. Looks like this now. Recoil with the brake isn't too bad at all, but YAHOO without it!

5YuVCuo.jpgImage Enlarger

The Savantist

IHMSA80x80
Members
February 25, 2017 - 8:43 pm

Got this one a couple of years ago. Another XP-100 conversion to .22LR by Bill Calfee, this one was made for the old BR-50 rimfire benchrest competition back in the mid 1990's. BR-50 had a weight handicap system...guns over 12 pounds would lose points, those under 12 pounds would gain points. These pistols became very popular, not just because of the weight advantage, but due to their outstanding accuracy and ease of shooting well. Once you try one, you might never go back to a rifle.

uLPgvxd.jpgImage Enlarger

Gun has a 22" Douglas Match barrel, Harrell's tuner a Leupold 40x45 Competition scope and a manual reset trigger. It is SO much fun to shoot. I had been looking for one for 10 years...should have bought one back then.

Changed the scope mount to a single mount, dual ring setup.

Image Enlarger

The Savantist

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
March 2, 2017 - 12:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Love the ram silhouette on the barrel, that's pretty neat!cool

I think I "need" to start looking for an XP100 soon, I see that I'm obviously missing out.laugh

IHMSA80x80
Members
March 3, 2017 - 5:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said
Love the ram silhouette on the barrel, that's pretty neat!cool

I think I "need" to start looking for an XP100 soon, I see that I'm obviously missing out.laugh  

Yes you are missing out!

I know where there is another Calfee rimfire BR gun for sale, just like the last one I showed. A mere $3600.

I did not pay that much for mine, but Calfee's are going for big bucks these days.

The Savantist

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
March 13, 2017 - 5:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IHMSA80x80 said

Yes you are missing out!

I know where there is another Calfee rimfire BR gun for sale, just like the last one I showed. A mere $3600.

I did not pay that much for mine, but Calfee's are going for big bucks these days.  

Ouch! My "need" may not be quite that strong yet.laugh I believe I'll start off a little more basic, then see how my need develops from there.lol2

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3908
Stinger: 3371