Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
New DW357mag purchase
Gene_2
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 19, 2016 - 2:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Relocated to New Members-Steve

Just purchased my 1st Dan Wesson in .357mag SN# 6922X made in Monson.  6" vent rib adjustable sights with a straight underlug shroud under barrel.  I think I have a model 15-2.  My question; after reading the instruction manual online part # 40 is a front sight retaining screw located on the front of the shroud.  My front sight does not have such retaining screw but is pinned in through the vent rib.  Is this an updated shroud or rather an older one, it appears the front sight can't be replaced unless you drive the pin out inst ead of loosening the #40 screw.  Does anyone have any input on this front sight?  Also, does anyone make a replacement rear sight with colored outline around the sight gap?  Mine is black and these 64 yo eyes needs a bit of color on the rear sight to coincide with the yellow front sight.  thank you.

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3376
pete
OH
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1203
May 19, 2016 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello from Ohio. Sounds like a 14-2 shroud, maybe cool-picswill help.

SIZE DOES  MATTER

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3911
May 19, 2016 - 10:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum. There is a solution to your problem. The early 15-2 had a pinned front sight. The fact that you have an adjustable rear sight means it is a 15-2. An option is the use of the later interchangable sight and drilling a hole through the sight to use the pin. A drill press is best and mark the spot to drill. It is one of the few things I would trust a gunsmith to do. I think they switched to interchangable sights around serial number 75,000. Another option is fluorescent pint or nail Polish. Rear sights can be swapped out or painted. They show up on eBay as do front sights. Or, buy another Barrel Assembly. Or two. Or.... 

ParaNormal
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 199
May 24, 2016 - 12:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to The Forum, you may as well learn to post pictures. We are very visually oriented, besides the shear joy of looking at a Dan they can be very helpful in getting a good answer to your question. Does your shroud not have a hole in the front where the screw should go? I think I'm correct in saying all Dans have a pin in the rib at the front sight but for those with interchangeable front sights, the pin is just a retainer which the sight hooks around and then the screw in from the front secures the sight under that pin. The shrouds without the front screw are another thing. Post a picture and I bet someone will be along to give you a solid answer. Again Welcome!

Boss Dog
South Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 437
May 27, 2016 - 3:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

…he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project  http://www.irenasendler.com/

USN-Vet, NRA, GOA, JPFO, SC-GRGR

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye
Guest(s) 58
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3911