Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Sig .357 vs .40 S&W statistics
photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 31, 2016 - 3:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I find lots of "Opinions" out  there, but, I can not find a chart showing velocity comparisons.

Do any if you own a Sig .357 gun? I read that is "Loud".

What advantages doe it hold over the .40...statistically...I don't care about availability of ammo and stuff like that.

I'm not interested in owning either.

Another similar question is 9mm vs .38 spl in a hand gun...same parameters . Again, not interested about carrying and such. 

Thanks-Photo

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Dan Fan
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1211
January 31, 2016 - 7:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Boss Dog
South Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 437
February 2, 2016 - 3:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a P229 that I can use 3 calibers in. One slide and 2 barrels for 40 S&W and 357 Sig. They use the same magazines because the 357 Sig is a 40 case necked down to 357.  Another slide and barrel for 9mm. 

For whatever reason (wants, grins & giggles), the 357 Sig was developed to match the ballistics of the 357 magnum but, in a semi-auto. It does that. The 357 Sig is probably just a little louder than the 40, hard to tell with mickey mouse ears on. 

The 9mm has an edge over the 38 Special because it is shot from a closed chamber, whereas the revolver leaks gas around the cylinder at the barrel gap. Plus the 38 Special was developed as a black powder round and so it is kept loaded at lower pressures for consistency and safety.  The 9mm was developed for the then, new smokeless powder.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

…he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project  http://www.irenasendler.com/

USN-Vet, NRA, GOA, JPFO, SC-GRGR

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
February 2, 2016 - 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Boss Dog said

The 9mm has an edge over the 38 Special because it is shot from a closed chamber, whereas the revolver leaks gas around the cylinder at the barrel gap. Plus the 38 Special was developed as a black powder round and so it is kept loaded at lower pressures for consistency and safety.  The 9mm was developed for the then, new smokeless powder.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php

I guess I wasn't clear - I wanted to ask about the 9mm in a revolver vs 38 spl. Why do some folks want the 9mm in a revolver. The chart above states the 39 spl slug is heaver, but, slower, and no real advantage can be determined.

Yes I read all about the history development of the 3537 sig. Again, why does one want this round over the 40/ Faster, greater penetration does not equate great stopping power...then why?

Thanks for you feedback.

Photo

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
February 2, 2016 - 11:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't like the idea of a necked cartridge in a semi automatic hand gun.  My cousin is a LEO and the small arms expert in charge of training.   His dept. recently switched to 357 sig. from 40 S&W, he hates the round.  It tends to stove pipe often and he now teaches a technique called 'rack, tap and roll' to clear the stove pipe while in a combat situation.  Basically, after you recognize a jam, you simultaneously rack the slide while inverting the gun and give it a sharp 'tap' to get the stuck case to drop out, then roll back up to target.  Does this sound like something you'd want to be doing with somebody shooting back at you.  

I have no info on the ballistic advantages of either round, just relating a real world story about the cartridge mentioned.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
February 2, 2016 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Scorpio - WOW! Great info...wonder if it pertains to a certain manufacturer. Thank you.

Still interested in why, choose one over the other.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5287
February 3, 2016 - 5:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I'm going to guess the reason you want it over the 40 S&W is because you do...someone wanted to develop and sell it and you wanted it...  otherwise all our handguns would be .357 magnums and our rifles 30.06... isn't free enterprise wonderful?

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

middlecalf
Idaho
Members
Forum Posts: 342
February 3, 2016 - 1:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My guess wrt the desire for some to have 9mm in a revolver is to have a common round with their semi's and 9mm is pretty cheap compared to even 38spl. 

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
February 3, 2016 - 1:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Boss Dog
South Carolina
Members
Forum Posts: 437
February 4, 2016 - 3:42 am

scorpio, what gun was having the stovepipes? 

I've had or have 4 different guns in 40 S&W and had no problems at all.

(S&W Sigma, Ruger P94, HK USP, Sig P229)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Never-mind, I read you wrong. However, I've never had any problem with 357 Sig either. Only one gun, P229. 

…he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project  http://www.irenasendler.com/

USN-Vet, NRA, GOA, JPFO, SC-GRGR

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4011
February 4, 2016 - 7:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

tlbgto
Members
Forum Posts: 22
February 6, 2016 - 12:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a Glock 32 and 33 chambered in 357 sig. I have shot thousands of rounds of hollow point, reloads, and regular through it. Not one single failure in 17 years. It is loud but not as loud as a 357 magnum. It was made to match the ballistics of the 357 magnum and they are close. Nothing will replace the magnum. It's very easy to shoot but like anything else you need practice. My personal carry is the 357 sig because I have faith in it. Like anything else everyone has their own opinion.

I also have a 40 caliber barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel and you can shoot all three rounds in one gun. The 40 is a drop in replacement. The 9mm it is best if you use a 9mm magazine. That being said my Glock Gen 4 32 fires 9mm out of the 357 sig magazine fine.

Caruso4510
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 16
February 23, 2016 - 12:12 am

That is a really good question. On paper they are very similar with the .357 Sig only having marginal if any advantages. The stories from the real world tend to lean towards the .357 Sig as reported by officers and troopers but it would take a lot of research to confirm this one way or the other. 

As far as stovepiping is concerned, most of those that I've seen in any caliber are a result of the shooter limp writing the recoil. Either way, sweeping your hand over the slide to the rear should clear this type of stoppage without having to invert the weapon.

Personally I'm not fond of the recoil impulse that the .40 S&W gives but that is preference and not scientific. I figure if you want that level of power in an autoloader the 10mm outshines both.

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
February 23, 2016 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"shooter limp writing the recoil."  Anticipation. I'm guilty Train, train, train. When I had this problem with a wheel-gun, or long time since on the firing line, Mix up the loads in the cylinder with empties, and you learn to control the flinch...came can be done wtih autos.

Caruso4510
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 16
March 1, 2016 - 12:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

photohause said
"shooter limp writing the recoil."  Anticipation. I'm guilty Train, train, train. When I had this problem with a wheel-gun, or long time since on the firing line, Mix up the loads in the cylinder with empties, and you learn to control the flinch...came can be done wtih autos.

I like to mix dummy rounds or snapcaps into my autoloader mags. It helps train against the flinch and when the hammer falls one one of them I treat it as a malfunction clearing drill; tap, rack, observe and bang if necessary.

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
March 1, 2016 - 5:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: mpmax
Guest(s) 48
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3910
Stinger: 3372