Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
38 Super Guardian
lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1570
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 7, 2014 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is my big purchase of the year, well probably a couple years. For some time I have wanted a 1911 in 38 Super, pretty much ever since I shot Supermagfan's 38 Super bobtail. When I read on Severns Custom's website that Dan Wesson Firearms was making the Guardian in 38 Super, I pre-ordered one thru Dave last November. Just picked it up from my FFL Friday and took it to the range today. It shoots GREAT! no hiccups or failures at all. It is a finely crafted and tuned piece, finish inside and out is excellent and fit is superb all around. The only change I am making is that I had Dave fit and blend an ambi safety which he is Hard Hat treating. When it's done he's sending it to me and I will toss it in sometime.

I only put 50 rounds thru it but it is a lot of fun to shoot. I can't really explain why I like the 38 Super cartridge, it kind of has a fast sounding crack to it but it is mild to shoot. Plus it is just a classic cartridge that befits the classic 1911 design.

I did not take many pics yet but here are a few, I take full responsibility for the flier in the target pic-

photo-2-2.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-2-1.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-1-2.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-2.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-2-2-1.JPGImage Enlarger

photo-3.JPGImage Enlarger

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
October 7, 2014 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I almost did that as well, but didn't...  Congratulations- it sure is a fine iron.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

ese927
SHELBYVILLE, KENTUCKY
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1360
October 7, 2014 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oath Keeper #021479 NRA #206814004
Member AAGSR Member AGA #83120600233

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

Ed Mc
Members
Forum Posts: 148
October 7, 2014 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very nice…I've always wanted a 38 Super, guess I just like 'different' cartridges. Looked at a light weight Colt Commander awhile back but didn't care for the two tone finish. No one in my area stocks Dan Wesson's so I never see any of their 1911s. Since you called it a 'big purchase', better I don't look at the website.

Congrats, I do like it…maybe too much.drool 

brucertx
North TX

Supporter

Range Officer

Dans Club

Range Officers

Members
Forum Posts: 2311
October 7, 2014 - 10:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice score! I'm pretty sure you just snagged one of my brother's Dream Dans!

To the paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers:

if you find one...what's your plan?

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
October 7, 2014 - 11:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a beauty! I think it would be cool to have a 38 super as well!

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 8, 2014 - 1:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

brucertx said
Nice score! I'm pretty sure you just snagged one of my brother's Dream Dans!

Dream???

BIG Dream!

Really BIG!

Probably never happen for me

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

SCORPIO
PA

Supporter

Range Officer
Members

Moderators

DWF Supporters

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4005
October 9, 2014 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

NICE!  Glad you finally got it.  I too have wanted one since I shot Supermagfan's 38 Super.  I'm on the hunt for one but prices are all over the board.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

My father

If a man designed it, and a man built it, then a man can fix it.

My grandfather

photohause
Sebastian, FL
Members
Forum Posts: 2253
October 13, 2014 - 3:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you're going to drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. 

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
October 13, 2014 - 8:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seemed for many years that .38 Super Auto was sort a quirky, niche caliber. Maybe DW has sort of lead this caliber out of the shadows and into the mainstream?

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
October 14, 2014 - 9:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Steve CT said
It seemed for many years that .38 Super Auto was sort a quirky, niche caliber. Maybe DW has sort of lead this caliber out of the shadows and into the mainstream?

I'm not sure the Super will ever get into the mainstream, especially since more 1911 makers are offering 9mm models which appeal to buyers wanting a lighter caliber than .45. Several 1911 manufacturers like Kimber and Colt etc. carry .38 Super models but I am not sure how well they sell. I think it should sell like crazy it is a classic 1911 caliber.

I did not buy dies or anything yet but I am anxious to reload for it this winter after I get 400-500 factory rounds through it for break-in. From what I've read the Super is very friendly to reloading and brass lasts through a good many reloads. cost-wise it should be similar to reloading 9mm other than brass cost.

It really is fun to shoot, I cannot describe why. And the night sights work! I was at the cabin last weekend and took it out after dusk when I could just make out the white paper target on the backstop. At about 12 yds put all 9 shots on the paper.

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

Ed Mc
Members
October 14, 2014 - 10:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Several companies offer the 38 Super but it seems production numbers aren't high. A local gun store had four, and quickly sold three. These were all Colts. First time they'd had any 38 Supers in quite awhile. They list most of their guns on Gunbroker so I don't know if they sold there or locally. I don't think the market for them is that big, it's just the few that want one buy them when available….which isn't often. 

I asked about a Guardian….on allocation from their distributor so they couldn't say for sure if, or when they could get one. But mostly due to the price difference I traded for a light weight Colt Commander. I know, I'm banned….the shame.surprised

Ed Mc
Members
March 2, 2015 - 10:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ionwolf93,

Since you mentioned reloading 38 Super, the newest issue of Handloader has a feature article on loading 38 Super. Quite a few loads using different powders and different weight bullets.

I've been using AA #7 and Hornady XTPs with good results. As a plus it meters exceptionally well. Perhaps you've used it before but Accurate Powders' products are hard to find in my area.

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
March 3, 2015 - 8:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thanks Ed, I will definitely pick up a copy of that issue of Handloader. I recently went thru my inventory of factory loaded ammo and realize I have almost 1000 rounds of 38 Super hoarded, so it will be a while before I reload any but I am looking forward to handloading for it. I picked up dies for it over winter. I have hardly been to the range this winter at all to shoot due to it being so cold and icy/snowy and windy.

Supermagfan
Pennsylvania

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 3235
March 3, 2015 - 9:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lonwolf,

Great new pistol. I am sure some of us will see it in person next month for our annual pilgrimage to the "Cabin".  We can offer some more test runs for you wink

A man cannot have too many SuperMags

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: Dan Fan, DA....64, Glocklover72
Guest(s) 45
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 3879