Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Possible Magazine Issue?
TrakaGSD
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 27, 2015 - 11:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm wondering if anyone can give some insight on what I think could be an issue with the magazines for my ECO 9mm. 

I'm having a heck of a time trying to drop the magazine if it still has cartridges in it.  I actually have to pry it out using the floor plate.  And, I have always had to slap in a loaded magazine pretty hard.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed the magazine lips bow out when it holds cartridges causing it to get caught up in the magazine well when I try to remove it. 

I can insert and remove an empty magazine without any problem. 

I have about 300 rounds through this gun so it's still in the break-in period.  I am still having failures to return to battery (common in the break-in period) but this has decreased in occurance from once every 10 rounds or so to about once every 25 rounds.

I have not had any failures to feed or failures to extract.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?  I'm thinking the magazines may be faulty.

Thoughts anyone...

grillzilla
Lexington ,Ky
Members
Forum Posts: 49
April 29, 2015 - 3:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My ECO in .45 would not drop the magazine and it turned out to be a metal burr in the mag release button. My gunsmith polished the area and no problems to date .That happened about two years ago.

bunny
Wyoming, land of the free
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 48
April 30, 2015 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My titan 10mm was having issues with dropping a loaded mag, I too had to pry the mag out.  It is getting better, however it does feel as though there may be a burr on the mag release button, it has a bit of a "gritty" feel to it.  It is getting better (200 rounds)  I also experienced failure to go into battery, but it is much less often.

Regards,

-d

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 30, 2015 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you tried a different brand magazine (just to isolate the problem)?

Ooops, I just realized that this is an ECO 9mm, so getting a different brand magazine may be a problemfrown

I would not overlook a problem with the magazine release, that might be your best first opportunity. Don't hesitate to touch base with DW in Norwich, I understand the need to break in the gun, but 1 in 25 at 300 rounds and not releasing a partially loaded magazine seems a little ???

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5269
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 1, 2015 - 6:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The only difference would be the spring is compressed in an anything but an empty magazine.  Take the top half off and try a loaded magazine in the mag well.  I'm curious to know where its binding up and it's easier for you to see what's going on with the top half off. You should be able to narrow it down between the feed lips being too wide or an issue with the button side of the magazine catch- it should be curved and smooth.  Are the magazines Checkmate or Metalform? 

I chewed on this some more....  the FtF rate is too high, particularly if you are following break in procedures.  Now I'm wondering if all your magazines are fully seating?  When you have a loaded mag and insert it; are you certain the magazine catch is fully engaged?  The release button should protrude the same distance, after inserting, on all magazines. Do it with the top half off again....  Safety first, particularly in the home.  Also a good idea if you have antique mirrors around.  Don't ask how I know... 

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 1, 2015 - 7:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Good Morning All,

I would look at the mag release first, mine is working it's self out (I dry fire with a full mag of snap caps, rack, safety on, safety off, trigger pull, rack slide, safety on, eject mag, replace "spent" snap cap, replace magazine, repeat ad nauseam.)  And the magazine issue has stopped.  Regarding the failure to go into battery, I would take another look in a hundred rounds or so.  The fit on the slide of my Titan is so tight, you have to pull straight back to rack it, any non linear torque would cause it to bind; the first hundred rounds or so you could see the slide go into battery in slow motion after ejecting, it was kinda weird having it return to battery with a subdued click, almost like it was operated by hydraulics.  What type of lubricant are you using?  My friends with race guns recommend "Mobil One" synthetic for the slide and workings.  With all that being said, I suppose even Carol Shelby sent out one or two cars with a loose lug nut, if the problem is not resolved I would follow Steve CT's advice and contact DW.

Regards,

-d 

p.s. if anyone is following this thread I realize the original Cobras came with splined knock-off wheels, but the metaphor did not work well that way.

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 2, 2015 - 9:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Upon further review last night, the function of my loaded magazines is getting better but releasing the mag has intermittent issues.  Sometimes I can depress the release button easily with the thumb of my shooting hand (maintaining a proper grip) other times it takes the force of both my thumbs.  I shall take a look at the release button and see if it needs to be stoned.  I do see some scratches on the magazine (on the left or release side) some of the scratches are smooth, linear, closely spaced and uniform, with a few rougher, non linear looking scratches that may indicate a burr or hang up.  I will post pictures and results if successful.  

Regards,

-d

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 4, 2015 - 7:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any updates TrakaGSD?  I have not had much time to tinker with mine yet.

Regards,

-d

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
May 4, 2015 - 8:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bunny said
Upon further review last night, the function of my loaded magazines is getting better but releasing the mag has intermittent issues.  Sometimes I can depress the release button easily with the thumb of my shooting hand (maintaining a proper grip) other times it takes the force of both my thumbs.  I shall take a look at the release button and see if it needs to be stoned.  I do see some scratches on the magazine (on the left or release side) some of the scratches are smooth, linear, closely spaced and uniform, with a few rougher, non linear looking scratches that may indicate a burr or hang up.  I will post pictures and results if successful.  

Regards,

-d

Remember that your magazines actually "catch" and "release" on the right side of the magazine, the tab that retains the magazine is on the right. I would check inside the magwell, grip screw bushings, and the "left"  side of the mag release

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: rwsem, Tom Hawk
Guest(s) 48