Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Elite Titan
asbell01
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 13, 2015 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a hard time finding one, but finally found one and got it maybe two months ago.  It was incredibly tight.  Only two of us in the gun store could even pull the slide back.  We attributed it to how tight it was as a new and custom pistol.

500 rounds later, it is no better.  It fails to return to battery maybe 20% of the time.  In addition, after the last round is fired and the slide is held open, I cannot close the slide by simply reaching over it with my left hand and pulling it back a little.  No, it takes both the left hand doing that plus using my right thumb to press down on the slide release.

When it does shoot, it shoots extremely well.  I have delayed getting DW customer service involved, hoping that just running more expensive 10 mm ammo through it was going to help.  I will try customer service in the morning.

Anyone have similar issues?  Or on another topic, know where I can obtain more magazines?  The whole world seems to have them on back order.

I am very happy with this weapon if I can only get some getting it to run the way it was intended.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5288
May 13, 2015 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Call DW and get them involved if you are following the break in procedures and it isn't operating properly. For service or repairs contact Keith 607.336.1174 ext 24.  CDNN Investments is my go to source for magazines.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

grillzilla
Lexington ,Ky
Members
Forum Posts: 49
May 14, 2015 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi , my razorback did the same thing when new. I started using mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and it hasnt done it since. I have recently started to use wheel bearing grease in a syring very sparingly and the 1911s have lost the metal on metal feel. Just a thought. Please be gentle with your responeses.

asbell01
Members
May 14, 2015 - 5:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I discovered that Dan Wesson does not manufacture or service the Elite line. But they were very helpful in putting me in touch with the right guy.  Great service so far. 

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5288
May 14, 2015 - 8:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DW doesn't service something that came out of the CZ custom shop?  What/ who did they recommend?  I find this kind of odd.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

asbell01
Members
May 14, 2015 - 9:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

CZ Custom has nothing whatever to do with the Elite line.  It is an individual who lives in Kansas who as far as I know has no relationship to CZ-USA other than as a vendor.  He also fabricates the magazines for the Titan that began as Witness magazines that take a good bit of modification.

bunny
Wyoming, land of the free
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 48
May 28, 2015 - 7:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

asbell01 said
 I had a hard time finding one, but finally found one and got it maybe two months ago.  It was incredibly tight.  Only two of us in the gun store could even pull the slide back.  We attributed it to how tight it was as a new and custom pistol.

500 rounds later, it is no better.  It fails to return to battery maybe 20% of the time.  In addition, after the last round is fired and the slide is held open, I cannot close the slide by simply reaching over it with my left hand and pulling it back a little.  No, it takes both the left hand doing that plus using my right thumb to press down on the slide release.

When it does shoot, it shoots extremely well.  I have delayed getting DW customer service involved, hoping that just running more expensive 10 mm ammo through it was going to help.  I will try customer service in the morning.

Anyone have similar issues?  Or on another topic, know where I can obtain more magazines?  The whole world seems to have them on back order.

I am very happy with this weapon if I can only get some getting it to run the way it was intended.

I had a similar issue with mine, I ran it very, very wet with synthetic motor oil and it is smooth running now.  It is still very difficult to rack the slide manually, however runs flawlessly.  As a side note, Brownells has Caspian hi cap .38 super mags on sale that work very well with the 10 mm Titan, I can fit 17 200 gr easy, 18 if you massage it.

Regards,

-d

asbell01
Members
May 28, 2015 - 8:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine was way beyond running it wet. It was just to tight. Sent it back.  Now it is great. The builder recommended a mix of Mobil One and STP. 

Do the Brownell mags fit flush with the bottom of the mag well, or at least as flush as our factory 10 mags?

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 28, 2015 - 9:36 am

asbell01 said
Mine was way beyond running it wet. It was just to tight. Sent it back.  Now it is great. The builder recommended a mix of Mobil One and STP. 

Do the Brownell mags fit flush with the bottom of the mag well, or at least as flush as our factory 10 mags?

there are two options, they have a flush fit (tactical) that will hold 14 rounds I think, or the ones I went with have the Caspian CAPE base pad (QC or quick change,) holds 17+ and extends 30 mm or so beyond the well.

Regards,

-d

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-high-capacity-38-super-magazines-prod71582.aspx

p_168000109_1.jpg
or p_168000109_2.jpg

asbell01
Members
May 28, 2015 - 9:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Many thanks!

Any suggestions on holsters for the Titan?  I am obviously not going to carry it much. Not quite my idea of EDC! Just something nice and OWB. 

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 28, 2015 - 10:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

asbell01 said
Many thanks!

Any suggestions on holsters for the Titan?  I am obviously not going to carry it much. Not quite my idea of EDC! Just something nice and OWB. 

I like Pure Kustom, I am biased because he does great work, keeps his ear to the ground and can find cool stuff (like legal Rhino hide from a 120 year old museum exhibit and chromed snakeskin.)  He has a good web site and many pictures on the 1911 forum under "Kydex and leather; holster makers showcase (or picture thread or similar).)  The prices range from reasonable to expensive (but reasonable for the expensive material and fine workmanship.) 

Regards,

-d

asbell01
Members
May 28, 2015 - 10:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And tell Kustom it is for a Titan? Or Caspian with rail? Or just full size 1911 with rail?

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 28, 2015 - 1:16 pm

asbell01 said
And tell Kustom it is for a Titan? Or Caspian with rail? Or just full size 1911 with rail?

See second post below first please 

Yes, tell Rocky exactly what you expect  in gun leather. Reference the website to familiarize yourself with the products. 

Regards, 

-d. 

bunny
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
May 28, 2015 - 1:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Check out your options 

Do some research, a good holster can be a serious investment. Everyone has a preference and body type. I recently saw a (I think) Milt Sparks (sp?) 1911 holster with a very unique split yolk belt loop system that appeared to provide a comfortable tight IWB fit for us tall rangely folk; I know comparatively nothing of his holsters, but intriguing and will do research. Most firearm forums contain holster sub forums,  ask questions. 

Regards, 

-d. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: DakotaJack, 605Dart, thegunguy
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300